ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

December Photography Competition - Shot of the Year

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
A Pro camera doesn't take better pictures, hence Nikon have never pushed passed the 12/16 meg pixel count. Why bother when most stuff is getting printed in papers. A Pro camera is called a Pro camera because it can take a battering day in day out. I could smash out a portfolio with 1 roll of film through a Nikon FM2 and a 50mm Ai lens and still stand have images that stand out.....it's not always the camera. I've also had days when I've been carrying £30k worth of gear and have had zero inspiration and come home with sod all images ........I have never been too wrapped up in gear, learn how to see light before learning the Argos figures of any tool in your bag.

That’s all fair enough. It all depends what you’re comfortable shooting with, there’s no point in using a terrible camera to prove a point, just use whatever gets you the image you want, it really is as simple as that.

My D600 is 24mp too!

Equipment does play some part. Low light shooting is far superior in full frame than anything I have ever used, mainly due to the excellent ISO performance. Also, action shots are far easier to nail when using a DSLR.

But everyday photos that are taken in good light can be superb with pretty much any camera. As long as your not looking at blowing up to silly sizes.

Really like these two.

9761742076_8f319d1073_c.jpg

Audi RS5 by Dan Haynes | Automotive Photography, on Flickr

9288775032_577b5fa760_c.jpg

Jaguar XF R-S by Dan Haynes | Automotive Photography, on Flickr

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
But back to the original question...

To answer the original question in simple terms: No, some of the photos do not require the best gear, but some require better gear to archived that level of quality such as Riad's work where the action requires good lenses and bodies with good AF etc.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Looking at the quality in here, there is zero point me entering one... so I will for a chuckle lol...

ENTRY

sunset91213d.jpg

Swift Sport
All of these pictures are what i can only dream of getting anywhere near! Obviousely it's down to location and composition primarily.... but I'm guessing the difference between these pictures and something I would take is quality of equipment!? ike you folks must have waaayyyyy better lenses and bodies, i'm tguessing, which give your images that pro look!?

I've got a Canon 300d with a second-hand 50mm lens. It's really worth bugger all.

(I'm not saying my pictures are good though lol)

But back to the original question...

To answer the original question in simple terms: No, some of the photos do not require the best gear, but some require better gear to archived that level of quality such as Riad's work where the action requires good lenses and bodies with good AF etc.

I would respectfully disagree with that, good lenses/bodies/AF make things easier, but they don't make anything possible that wouldn't be on much, much cheaper gear, particularly for subjects like night or motorsport photography where good knowledge and ability would rank well above equipment.

By far my best year of motorsport photography came around 2008, using a £100 used Nikon D50 and a very battered £450 Nikon 80-200, purely because I worked so hard at it. Since then I've had gear costing many times that, with many more focus points, much faster processors etc, but my photos have never bettered those early ones.

Something like a D7100 and 70-200 2.8 AFS has practically laser guided AF compared to some kit from just a few years back, but people were taking photos just as good back then. Ironically Micro 4/3, Fuji X etc gets hammered on the web for poor tracking AF, having used both extensively they are both easily as capable as a D50 was, you just need to put the effort in.

Give somebody like Riad, Nick etc a used £60 D50 and £70 Sigma 70-300 and after a bit of familiarisation they will still blow a guy out of the water with average ability using £10k of gear.

One of my favourite pictures I've taken, been very successful in a national competition...taken with £130 worth of gear...

6695248759_a099291379_z.jpg

New York City 2011 by Harry_S, on Flickr

Last edited:
I keep try to think of reason not to sell all of my SLR gear and get an X-Pro 1, especially as Fuji are doing a free lens deal at the moment!

Must resist!!

I keep try to think of reason not to sell all of my SLR gear and get an X-Pro 1, especially as Fuji are doing a free lens deal at the moment!

Must resist!!

Do it, I genuinely don't think you will regret it for a second. Particularly for travel I think it's pretty much the perfect system.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Looking back at this year .. there's really not much I'd call 'shot of the year worthy' :S

I like this one as I was laughing because Scrooge complained I take better pics with my phone than he does with his DSLR :eek:

10228715553_d5cd0f1be6_c.jpg

Untitled by TheEvilGiraffe, on Flickr

This one as it sums up the year (of sorts) - The photo stars (geddit) my own house which I bought back in Feb and my favourite photography subject - star trails :D

8758801813_40b9a30e32_b.jpg

HTH trails 2 by TheEvilGiraffe, on Flickr

However, I think shot of the year goes to this:

I love this one for its simplicity..

8665399887_685f21786c_b.jpg

Reach for the moon by TheEvilGiraffe, on Flickr

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I would respectfully disagree with that, good lenses/bodies/AF make things easier, but they don't make anything possible that wouldn't be on much, much cheaper gear, particularly for subjects like night or motorsport photography where good knowledge and ability would rank well above equipment.

By far my best year of motorsport photography came around 2008, using a £100 used Nikon D50 and a very battered £450 Nikon 80-200, purely because I worked so hard at it. Since then I've had gear costing many times that, with many more focus points, much faster processors etc, but my photos have never bettered those early ones.

Something like a D7100 and 70-200 2.8 AFS has practically laser guided AF compared to some kit from just a few years back, but people were taking photos just as good back then. Ironically Micro 4/3, Fuji X etc gets hammered on the web for poor tracking AF, having used both extensively they are both easily as capable as a D50 was, you just need to put the effort in.

Give somebody like Riad, Nick etc a used £60 D50 and £70 Sigma 70-300 and after a bit of familiarisation they will still blow a guy out of the water with average ability using £10k of gear.

One of my favourite pictures I've taken, been very successful in a national competition...taken with £130 worth of gear...

6695248759_a099291379_z.jpg

New York City 2011 by Harry_S, on Flickr

Fair enough.

It's obvious that I'm fighting the tide with this one. I'll leave it at PERSONALLY I prefer gear that I can rely to get me the shot I want. Don't misconstrue this for laziness, it's just purely having the means to express your creativity rather than unnecessary fuss :)

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
I'm new in the DSLR's world (bought my first DSLR in last December) so I'm just learning photography. This photo was my most rated pic (pic of the week in July on the biggest Hungarian Photography site) during this year:

dombok_k.jpg

And these ones are my personal favs:

10912166226_49c36a9edb_z.jpg

Autumn at Medvesalja by <-Y->, on Flickr

ENTRY (Spring)

8666816471_ca1b024b78_z.jpg

Spring by <-Y->, on Flickr

Argghhh I've been so busy this year I've missed all the monthly comp's and most of my photos are still un-edited on my macbook

Gonna have a weekend trying to get them all online this weekend

I think this is one of my favourites from the year so far, but there's been a lot I've been happy with from the BTCC days

Screen%20Shot%202013-12-11%20at%2000.39.08.png

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Some fantastic shots in here - I genuinely wouldn't know where to begin!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Matt that shot is utterly superb!

Cheers Phil.

I have another wedding on the 28th of this month which should be good so going to see if I get something from that I can use. I have got a new technique to try :D So not marking at entry quite yet.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Yea I posted in another thread a while back, cheers though mate, some of your cityscape stuff is awesome! :D