ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another "budget" big TV thread

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
I'm sure there's already a few of these threads knocking about but I'm using tapatalk and struggling to find any up to date ones at the moment.

Anyway, I've recently bought my first house and looking to improve my current set up which I've had for a good few years now.

My current TV is an oldish Samsung LCD, full HD and actually a brilliant picture considering it's age. What I'd like is the biggest TV for my budget without losing out on picture quality and connectivity.

I need at least 3 HDMI inputs, preferably 4 and would like some catch up features. Preferably 55" as current TV is 42" and seems a bit small for the room as its a decent sized lounge. I'm not bothered about 3D but unsure whether LCD, LED or plasma is the way forward?

This is my current view from the sofa.

2810d58ee952ad1d722477ebfcceecc1.jpg

My budget is around £700, maybe a bit more at a stretch. I've seen a few decent deals on lower end models with a good picture but lacking extra features...what do you recommend?

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
I suppose i am a bit of a brand snob but then saying that I've had a quick look at that one and it seems pretty impressive, plus it looks like there's a 2 warranty. Have you or anyone else for that matter ever heard of them? Any reviews? Can't find any on Google...

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
That JVC one seems a good price but not convinced it's worth spending that when it may not be big enough. I've seen the Sony one in currys and looks good but with all the extra features its a bit steep. I'm going to do a bit more research in to Lenco I think, seems very reasonable! Thank you!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
No worries going to be doing lots of research for myself soon so just started with those :smiley:

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
Sorry for bumping my own thread however with all these deals around i'm thinking now might be a good time to get myself a bargain.

I've just seen this on the currys website and it seems it to be a good price:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...0v-smart-60-plasma-tv-10010573-pdt.html#cat-0

Only thing is due to my lack of up-to-date knowledge i was of the impression plasma was an old technology now and was looking mainly at LED instead. Does anyone know much about this particular model and would you say it would be a good long term TV for mainly Sky HD, films and gaming?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Plasma is still stunning tech on big screens. Oled is the most recent innovation from memory.
Not many people will tell the difference really. Give me size first and brand a close second.

LG seem to be really good at providing big screens at decent prices and either supply or share some parts with more expensive screens.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I've just bought that 60" LG plasma from Currys. Was delivered on Sunday. It was £1299 2 weeks ago. Bargain at £599 with free delivery.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Bingo. 60 has to be next for us. Worried 55 may look ridiculous in the bedroom though!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Sorry for bumping my own thread however with all these deals around i'm thinking now might be a good time to get myself a bargain.

I've just seen this on the currys website and it seems it to be a good price:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...0v-smart-60-plasma-tv-10010573-pdt.html#cat-0

Only thing is due to my lack of up-to-date knowledge i was of the impression plasma was an old technology now and was looking mainly at LED instead. Does anyone know much about this particular model and would you say it would be a good long term TV for mainly Sky HD, films and gaming?

Looks ok. Plasma tech is still very much up there with regards to PQ, however, the stigma of IR and burn has unfortunately remained since the early days (it's still a problem but much less of an issue these days). Plasma sales have ceased simply because the tech is no longer financially viable.

Panasonic made the best plasma's closely followed by Samsung. LG were ok but nothing special.

TVs are personal things, I suggest you find a shop to view it before pulling the trigger. The minimum would be to check online reviews (What HiFi etc).

People are put off by Plasma's because they need a lot of nursing. gaming for long periods are not advisable due to burn in etc.

If you're happy to accept these risks and limitations then a plasma will reward tenfold with regard to picture quality.

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
I've just bought that 60" LG plasma from Currys. Was delivered on Sunday. It was £1299 2 weeks ago. Bargain at £599 with free delivery.

It does seem like an exceptionally good price! I'm going to pop in my local currys tomorrow in the hope of seeing it in the flesh, only problem is they tend to have naff quality streams through their TV's anyway so may not be the best test...
As you have one yourself, how would you honestly rate it and what do you use it for mainly?

Looks ok. Plasma tech is still very much up there with regards to PQ, however, the stigma of IR and burn has unfortunately remained since the early days (it's still a problem but much less of an issue these days). Plasma sales have ceased simply because the tech is no longer financially viable.

Panasonic made the best plasma's closely followed by Samsung. LG were ok but nothing special.

TVs are personal things, I suggest you find a shop to view it before pulling the trigger. The minimum would be to check online reviews (What HiFi etc).

People are put off by Plasma's because they need a lot of nursing. gaming for long periods are not advisable due to burn in etc.

If you're happy to accept these risks and limitations then a plasma will reward tenfold with regard to picture quality.

A few mates of mine have LG LCDs (older ones) and tbf they seem really good quality for their age and I've always associated them as being one of the better brands. Checked online and seen various reviews from customers but they all seem to vary and aren't really from an "experts" POV. In reality, i probably only game for an hour each day, maybe not at all some days but certainly not much more than a couple hours at any one time due to now having a 4 week old daughter. Is this likely to be a factor? I can't see how it could be to be honest, i'd have thought a good few hours a day minimum really to cause any burn...

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
It does seem like an exceptionally good price! I'm going to pop in my local currys tomorrow in the hope of seeing it in the flesh, only problem is they tend to have naff quality streams through their TV's anyway so may not be the best test...
As you have one yourself, how would you honestly rate it and what do you use it for mainly?

A few mates of mine have LG LCDs (older ones) and tbf they seem really good quality for their age and I've always associated them as being one of the better brands. Checked online and seen various reviews from customers but they all seem to vary and aren't really from an "experts" POV. In reality, i probably only game for an hour each day, maybe not at all some days but certainly not much more than a couple hours at any one time due to now having a 4 week old daughter. Is this likely to be a factor? I can't see how it could be to be honest, i'd have thought a good few hours a day minimum really to cause any burn...

Couple of hours a day with content between won't cause you any bother.

You say you have a kid, apparently the Disney Channel branding can be a killer...something to bare in mind.

Variety is key when owning a plasma.

All the above is mute when owning an LED.

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
Hmm...I hadn't even thought about logos etc on the channels. I'm sure the Disney Channel will be s regular so may have to rethink. I'll see how I get on tomorrow anyway, thanks for the heads up :)

SQ5
I wouldn't be touching an LG Plasma at all, I've never seen a good one or one without any kind of screen burn.

LG (LCD) LED and OLED on the other hand completely opposite end of the scale.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Hmm...I hadn't even thought about logos etc on the channels. I'm sure the Disney Channel will be s regular so may have to rethink. I'll see how I get on tomorrow anyway, thanks for the heads up :)

In that case I'd stay clear.

Personally I've not owned an LG plasma but have had 3 Panasonic plasma's (current is a VT50).

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
Well I've been in currys today and must say I was disappointed with the plasma, thanks for the heads up Al. The picture was a little shabby compared to the LED sat next to it and to be honest, I looked huge! As much as I want a big TV, I think that's too big in reality and will look out of place.

Sizewise now I think 55" will be prefect.

@Gray, thank you for that suggestion, I remember seeing it in the sale and wished I'd have gone for it now! Typical. Anyway, I'm now thinking the LG 55LB700V is a good set but still nearly £800!

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
fcd739c606bf8b81e41bde23bc9ff512.jpg

Well I went and got it didn't i, the missus ain't too happy though...oops!

Now to get it working [emoji2]

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Well I've been in currys today and must say I was disappointed with the plasma, thanks for the heads up Al. The picture was a little shabby compared to the LED sat next to it and to be honest, I looked huge! As much as I want a big TV, I think that's too big in reality and will look out of place.

Sizewise now I think 55" will be prefect.

@Gray, thank you for that suggestion, I remember seeing it in the sale and wished I'd have gone for it now! Typical. Anyway, I'm now thinking the LG 55LB700V is a good set but still nearly £800!

My pleasure mate, glad it all worked out in the end :).

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
It did [emoji2] that picture really doesn't do it justice, I looks awesom! Films and games are just fantastic

340i
fcd739c606bf8b81e41bde23bc9ff512.jpg

Well I went and got it didn't i, the missus ain't too happy though...oops!

Now to get it working [emoji2]

Good choice! - I cannot fault mine.

I spent a bit of time on Saturday setting up the picture, set it to 'movie' mode, turned down the brightness a touch and changed the screen size to 'auto fit' as I noticed it was cutting the edges off XBO and when playing movies via USB.

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
Good choice! - I cannot fault mine.

I spent a bit of time on Saturday setting up the picture, set it to 'movie' mode, turned down the brightness a touch and changed the screen size to 'auto fit' as I noticed it was cutting the edges off XBO and when playing movies via USB.

I'm really enjoying it! I've fiddled about with loads of settings and I THINK I have it right now although the missus moans it's too bright lol.

Do you have any suggestions for setting 3D up for gaming? That's the only thing I'm undecided over as I just can't seem to get it right...then again, I may just not use 3D for long anyway as its just a bit of a novelty at the moment.

9bb50a27306bd22e90cee1970d398b83.jpg

b81681976bff09eccbac1a84a8561fdd.jpg