ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eye-fi Wireless SDCard and lens calibration software

Cayman S Edition 1
Decided to invest in two new things for my camera this week. An Eye-Fi Pro X2 16GB SDCard and some software to calibrate my lenses.

Now I'm taking my glamour photography a little more seriously, I've started to shoot tethered to my Macbook Pro (running Lightroom 4) so that both myself and the model can get a much better view of each image as they're taken. The only downside to this is cables! Once you take in to account power cables, usb cables, trigger cables, it just gets a nightmare sometimes, hence looking for ways to reduce clutter and speed up the time I can get ready to shoot.

First impressions of the Eye-Fi card?

Not bad. I've configured the camera to store RAW on compact flash and JPG on the SD which results in speedier transmission of the image to the laptop. However, its probably still not as fast as using the USB cable even when sending a 25MB RAW file. So I'm not totally convinced at this stage its a great idea, but perhaps may come in use when the situation arises.

However, the Eye-Fi does has some cool features such as;

- Acts as a wireless AP if the card cannot detect a wireless network. This means you can connect your laptop, ipad, iphone to the Eye-Fi and still recieve images. Result!
- You can automatically upload images to Eye-Fi's website and view online if you want to
- Can you can select what you want to transmit to your laptop e.g. jpg, RAW, video.

Would I recommend one?

Hmmm.... if you like gadgets, hate cables and have money to spare. Sure.

Now on to the Lens Calibration.

Reading a few articles recently, I realised there's software out there to help you calibrate (micro adjust) your lens (Canon & Nikon only) to ensure you get the best possible image from your gear. So I thought, why not. Having just invested in a 5D mkIII, it seemed to make sense!

So I purchased a copy of Focal Pro from http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/versions/focal-pro/

The basic setup results in you hooking your camera up to your PC, installing the required software, then pointing the camera at a designated image provided when you purchase the product. The software basically runs a series of tests against the image and at the end provides you with any required adjustments to the lens AF.

Took some setting up and scratching of heads, but all in all, I got it working. No idea yet as to how much of an improvement it will make, but I have a shoot tomorrow, so will be interesting to find out!

Here's a review I found if any of you are interested;

http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/a-new-way-to-microadjust-dslr-lenses-focal-by-reikan/