ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

decisions!

D

dick

i really cant make my mind up for the

canon 24-70 f2.8L
or 24-105 f4L

so the 70 gives a stop quicker, but not as long on the tele.

i suppose the 70 shots can be cropped,
and might miss some with not being quick enough. but more to be point, i dont wanna replace it if im annoyed.

god im so pissed off. think the 105 is £100 less, but thats irrelavent to be honest. as there both pretty expensive anyway.

106 GTi
What other lens do you have and on what camera ?

Neither will be that wide on say a 350D and if you own something like a 70-20 or 70-300 do you need that little bit of extra reach the 105 has over the 70 ?

Hmmmm one of those so often asked questions, only you can decide.

What other lenses do you have, shoot indoors much? If so do you use a flash gun anyway? What about the 17-55 f/2.8 IS?

D

dick

40d will be being ordered on monday. got rid of 400d and my cheap s**tty lenses (£150 70-300) and worser 18-200

ye thats not an issue, dont need it wide, if i did id get the 17-55 f2.8 in a shot
but the 24 equates to 38 which is fine.

hardly ever used the wider stuff on the 18-200.

and ye i use the longer lengths fairly often and the overlap would be great.

70-200 2.8 nonIS
nifty50..

hardly ever indoors to be honest.its mainly for travelling.

but do photographing the uni skiin.
although ive got a baby goddaughter who doesnt like staying still!

edit : think i will pick up the 430EX though, as the people who had them at the watering hole at the lodge at night in namibia could get some cracking pics coz of theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll love having a decent flash, its big but makes a massive difference to what you can do.

I'd get the 24-105 and a nice CP if your doing skiing/travel shots, then get yourself a nice prime like the 85 f/1.8 for those god daughter pictures, super fast AF and good build or even live with the 50 f/1.8...

D

dick

just had a play in jessops with the 24-105, and my god what an incredible lens. so fast, keeps AF amazingly when you walkabout etc.

also had a play with the bigma, canon 100-400, some cheap sigma, 40d, 350d, d300. was in for ages.

was in foir hours, got offered a cracking deal, if id take the 40d, 17-85IS, and 100-400 bag, warranty, would give me 15% off camera and kit lens, and 15% off 100-400.

warranty covers all accidental/mechanics damage for 3 years for total of £160 i think it was.

im pretty clumsy you could say....
total came to about £1850 inc 3 yr warranty.
which is a good deal, if i got the same stuff from onestop digital from HK, with no warranty and no bag it would be 1700ish iirc.
i could even cancel the extra warraty in first year for full refund....

the guy slipped out the sale ends soon and theyre near-ish to their target.

but even though its a good deal... its a f**king lot of cash still.
although i can afford that gear as its just sat in my bank, it could be better spent elsewhere probly!

Cupra
i really cant make my mind up for the

canon 24-70 f2.8L
or 24-105 f4L

so the 70 gives a stop quicker, but not as long on the tele.

i suppose the 70 shots can be cropped,
and might miss some with not being quick enough. but more to be point, i dont wanna replace it if im annoyed.

god im so pissed off. think the 105 is £100 less, but thats irrelavent to be honest. as there both pretty expensive anyway.

I have read loads of comparisons of the two lenses and the majority of people seem to have gone from the 24-70 to the 24-105. Nearly all of them consider the 105 and upgrade from their old lens and say that the extra stop does not make that much of a difference. When the 40D can take good quality photos at iso800 without breaking a sweat, it should not matter too much either.

Alternatively, get the 430EX or the 580. They both make a huge difference to the standard flash!