ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Declaring mods.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
My small brain simply cannot comprehend the level of imbecility in this thread. Just wow, truly a wow moment.

MR2 Mk1.5
Sky insurance on here were realy good for mine..
They understand its a track car and not a boy racer car.
was cheaper with mods declared than most companies wanted for a standard car.
You speak to someone like your standing next to them rather than the usual insurance script readers who know nothing about cars.

Thanks. I've highlighted an important part of your post which I dare say a lot of CS members should read and take note of

MR2 Mk1.5
I've had a look on sky insurance and debating on ringing up for a quote but can you leave the current insurance just by telling them or would I have to wait for my renewal to come up, as well with a claim on me how would I go about that, would I have to stay with current insurer till that's sorted or not?

You can cancel a policy any time.

MR2 Mk1.5
PMSL.

Declaring a CS sticker is the greatest thing i've ever heard.

Would it top that to know that I've heard a (albeit a second hand forum story which needs a ship load of salt) story of an insurer refusing a claim payout due to an undeclared guide dog for the blind sticker..

330i. E30 Touring.
Would it top that to know that I've heard a (albeit a second hand forum story which needs a ship load of salt) story of an insurer refusing a claim payout due to an undeclared guide dog for the blind sticker..

PMSL!

If i was the driver, i'd claim i couldn't see the sticker. (;

Titanium 182
So my insurance will only cover my alloys, looks like I'm changing my insurance sometime soon then.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
To be honest depending on whatt he mods are, the estimators are mostly clueless anyway and unless it jumps out at them they won't look in to it much. (used to work in insurance repair bodyshop).

Should still declare though.

This...

I used to work for a national accident repair centre that only did insurance work. they have contracts with Direct line, Privilege, Esure, Tesco etc and the estimators don't have a bloody clue! If it ever came up that a modified part was damaged, all they would do was contact the policy holder and say your excess is a little higher or they would just replace it for a standard part.

We had a Range Rover Sport in that had been vinyl wrapped white but was originally silver. He hadn't declared this so we ended up repairing the damaged front end back to how it was originally and he had 50/50 silver and white car lol!

Titanium 182
This...

I used to work for a national accident repair centre that only did insurance work. they have contracts with Direct line, Privilege, Esure, Tesco etc and the estimators don't have a bloody clue! If it ever came up that a modified part was damaged, all they would do was contact the policy holder and say your excess is a little higher or they would just replace it for a standard part.

We had a Range Rover Sport in that had been vinyl wrapped white but was originally silver. He hadn't declared this so we ended up repairing the damaged front end back to how it was originally and he had 50/50 silver and white car lol!

haha I bet that guy was well annoyed, turns out I can't leave my insurance because of the claim going through, otherwise if probably have to pay that myself and I could no way afford that.

Titanium 182
Plus, generally if you leave early don't you have to pay for the rest of the months anyway?

Not too sure, staying with them anyway, have no choice really, might just take my spoiler off, not bother with my sport bumper and just lower it and leave it as that.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
This...

Yep, to be honest, for the bodyshop it makes no sense to pick up on things.

It'll leave them out of pocket if they don't get the work.

Clio 197 F1
Plus, generally if you leave early don't you have to pay for the rest of the months anyway?
My girlfriend just cancelled her insurance policy and they deducted the sum per day not per month, that's with Admiral IIRC.

I Insured my 197 with Sky and as he highlighted in the previous post, it was around £100 cheaper declared with all mods than it was standard with all other insurance companies I tried with half the excess.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
This...

I was going to write a fairly long post, then I seen where you worked, I won't bother correcting you.

MR2 Mk1.5
I Insured my 197 with Sky and as he highlighted in the previous post, it was around £100 cheaper declared with all mods than it was standard with all other insurance companies I tried with half the excess.

Another one!

aaDriftworks-Img-Quotes4_zps38236cd9.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I try not to tell the young uns what they can and cannot get away with in insurance. Usually find it ends badly.

Black 172

Im sorry skyinsurance - but please don't spout second hand forum information.

Even pre-Consumer Insurance Act the FOS would have laughed at this!!

I think the most important information (not advice as you have to be approved to give advice) is - answer the questions honestly and for god sake read your documentation. If it says you must inform your insurer of any modifications, then ring them and tell them!!!

Insurer's write their own underwriting guides - if its ok for one person, doesn't mean it will be OK for you - PHONE THEM!!!!

If they say no. it is not because they are a-holes - its because they have chosen not to provide cover for the risk you represent - they can chose who they do/do not do business with like any other private company!!

Black 172
I think you need to read my post again, you may have missed the bit in brackets.

The part of my post you quoted actually referred to the part of your post in brackets.

I was trying to clarify - as others may skim read your post and take this as advice given your CS Trader status.

No offence intended, but giving the perspective of someone who actually rejects claims for an insurer for the very type of issues raised in this thread.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I remember reading something on here about insurance not paying out because someone had changed the gear stick gaitor and hadnt told the insurance :what: