ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dell 24" widescreen lcd (2407 wfp) - recommendation

Fabia vRS
i just bought this screen today and all i can say is OMFG! it really is immense.

it looks massive on my desk, and the fact it has so many inputs is great...

dvi-d, vga, composite, component, svideo, it also has a built in card reader, and 4 powered usb ports.

i am running it from a 512mb nvidia 7600gs at 1920x1200 and the picture is just amazing, and easily enough desktop space to run the picture in picture function so i have my freeview box connected and playing in the top right corner of the screen.

so so pleased with it.

Last edited:
  Fabia vRS
dell2407.jpg

no pics i take really put into perspective how big this thing looks when u are sitting infront of it.

A red missile
Looks impressive, i running a 19" widescreen Acer and a 20" Philips and thats huge, a 24" must be a right monster, tasty piece of kit.

Fabia vRS
dell24072.jpg

the above picture shows the picture in picture mode where i have my freeview box hooked up to the composite input on the screen.

Not sure if it's been mentioned (not read all posts) but these panels (in Dell form) have the ability to letterbox lower resolutions rather than scale them. This is probably the best feature for gamers who may find themselves needing to run at lower resolutions at some point in the very near future. It means you can reduce res without the usual massive scaling penalty you would otherwise suffer. In a nutshell, you can letterbox rather than suffer blurry non-native images. That's especially critical in a panel of this size unless you have 30 graphics cards.

Indeed, and although they use the same Sammy panels as the Apple cinema displays, the Dell electronics and backlighting are considered superior. Amazing displays for the money, despite some loser on here trying to pwn me a few months back, saying Dells were shite. He got dominated :approve:

Rasclart said:
Not when your pwning enocding, etc etc

Good point. No doubting the Conroe ownership. For now.

Games are my tipple though and my overall machine performance is plenty good enough. Anyway this is off topic. I can understand why you spammed it off topic though. GX2 Envy is a powerful thing :eek:

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
hahah dell are s**t. we supply them to all our clients and the whole company, we get so many recalls it's untrue.

well done roy, i was dominated.

Revels Mum & Sister
Dell are s**t LOL

Clown. I have seen one faulty Dell high end monitor and we have supplied a fair few through work, so what if they go faulty 3 year warrnty so it makes no odds.

Besides who are you to comment with rear lights like that on your clio ;)

Monaro VXR
Dell are s**t the monitors arent afterall its just a Samsung in a different case. Only 2 manufacturers i think make all the panels LG and Samsung last i knew. Might be 1 more.

David said:
well done roy, i was dominated.

Yeah. Know your place.

You clearly know very little about the world of computers if you think the Dell ultrasharp panels are s**t. Oh and yes, without getting personal - your rear lights ARE s**t ;)

Revels Mum & Sister
The 2005FPW I have is a Lg-Philips Panel. Same as in the Apple Cinema Displays.

Not sure about the updated ones like Roys!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
you guys are so funny.

roy takes the piss out of my rear lights when his name is roy munson hahahha genius. seems like you dominated me again hahaha

rasclart, i love my lights actually. you supply a fair few, my company is in the top ten of dells' purchasing customers, believe me, if it weren't for the fact that they replace everytihng within 1 day and we've been with them for like 8 years we would lose them. they are poor quality, dead pixels are common, power buttons go all the time, even had monitors with broken dvi sockets, laptops which overheat all the time, motherboards blowing out all the time... but i'm sure you know best. hey its' your money, i know i just wouldn't spend it with dell. thats my opinion and i'm entitled to it.

Last edited:
  Monaro VXR
Theres a difference between cheap dell stuff and the high end ones.

And your rear lights do look naff although are one of the better aftermarket ones. But to you there nice its personal opinion be happy with what you got ignore others.

Had some people tell me my car is ugly and then i have had guys in much more expensive cars ask me about it and have a proper look around and like it. Same with everything in life people have different oppinions.

David said:
you guys are so funny.

roy takes the piss out of my rear lights when his name is roy munson hahahha genius. seems like you dominated me again hahaha

rasclart, i love my lights actually. you supply a fair few, my company is in the top ten of dells' purchasing customers, believe me, if it weren't for the fact that they replace everytihng within 1 day and we've been with them for like 8 years we would lose them. they are poor quality, dead pixels are common, power buttons go all the time, even had monitors with broken dvi sockets, laptops which overheat all the time, motherboards blowing out all the time... but i'm sure you know best. hey its' your money, i know i just wouldn't spend it with dell. thats my opinion and i'm entitled to it.

All in good spirits, your lights are cool if you like 'em ;)

Back on topic - You are aware that the panels in these Dell units are Samsung? I fail to see how dead pixels could be attributed to the brand name of Dell?

Monaro VXR
Dead pixels happen in everyones panels. Try rubbin around them when you get them kind of massage around it they sometimes disspear.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Don't know who they're made by. All i can tell you is about the experience we have with them(dell), buying varying degrees of equipment from them. we buy top end laptops for the graphics teams for example, on site sometimes, they are lighting fast, look pretty, but again, had recalls on a fair few of them, same old things as well. i know all the batteries are made by sony....and are put in the mac laptops too...didn't mean they were any good...in fact only a month or so ago they had an enormous prodcut recall on all of them because they were a fire hazard, look it up if you don't believe me. My opinoin on the subject is this...if i thought dell tv's were made by samsung or sony or anyone else, it wouldn't make me feel secure in buying them. On the laptops all the internal parts from the hard drives to the bluetooth chips are made by different, reputable companies, toshiba, ibm, intel, etc etc... maybe they're just not any good at putting them together?

Samsung as a brand aren't all that good anyway, look at their TV division, great marketing but go look at thei tv's in the flesh, all the surround is made from a cheap quality plastic. My mate (may be bias) who works for sony is always going on about how well they do in the market but the sets aren't that great themselves..

Most of this is offtopic i know but thats the way it is over here. as for my lights, well each to their own, if you can find me a set of after market ones that look better, i'll think about changing them. the standards looks poo on my car cause it's pretty modded... so just deal with it, they're not on your car, don't stress yourselves.

Revels Mum & Sister
So clearly saying the upper end Dell panels are crap is false statement. Yes lower end Dell stuff does break down because its cheap. BUT the reason why you see so much faulty equipment is because you evidently purchase a high volume. Anything in the technology field is prone to failure as you are well aware of I am sure being a top ten purchaser from Dell.

Considering the 24" Samsung is regarded as probs the best panel and screen on the market Samsung evidently dont make crap. With there TV's yes there are better BUT it they are also much much cheaper than Sony's and being that your mate works for Sony what do you expect.

And no I dont work for Dell ;)