ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser Change

TTRS & V50
How essential is this to have changed when looking at a new car (172,182) ?

It isn't in the service guide by Renault.

A couple years back when I got my 172 cam and aux belts changed no one was having these changed, now all of a sudden most people are getting them changed with 72k service.

225 Cup & Williams
Unless it is noisy there really isn't any need. I had mine changed purely because it was on 120k+ miles and it was a tiny bit noisy.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
I personally would for piece of mind, it's only an extra £130 or so when having the full job done.

Make sure an oil and filter change is done at the same time too.

Seem to have a nasty habit of getting noisy after cambelt changes too. As Maynard says, for the sake of the extra £130 may as well get it changed while the belts are off.

TTRS & V50
My 172 was fine and it didn't have it change in my ownership.

But I can't find a new motor at the moment so might have to get another Clio.

I'm not buying a car that needs a cambelt change, I'm just asking would you walk away from a car that's had a cam and aux belt change but not dephaser?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

I'm not buying a car that needs a cambelt change, I'm just asking would you walk away from a car that's had a cam and aux belt change but not dephaser?

No not if it has fsh and all the bills .

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Seem to have a nasty habit of getting noisy after cambelt changes too. As Maynard says, for the sake of the extra £130 may as well get it changed while the belts are off.

At least you know it's been done, then if it gets rattly a couple of years down the line, you haven't got to fork out for the whole lot again so soon.

I wouldn't walk away from it no, would depend on the price of the car to whether i walked or not.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The only clio's ive had to replace dephasers on are ones with little or no service history.

I've no idea if this is related but thats what i've found on the 25-odd clio's i've had.

I've done 4 dephasers and all four had next to no history.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
One person on here gets theres done, then everybody changes their perfectly good ones to waste money. Does make me lol when people ask about getting belts done then some cnut comes along ands says "make sure you get your dephaser done"

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
One person on here gets theres done, then everybody changes their perfectly good ones to waste money. Does make me lol when people ask about getting belts done then some cnut comes along ands says "make sure you get your dephaser done"

this!!!

I rarely change them, I've only ever had to change one after doing a cambelt, and it was almost a year later, on a car with a very patchy history.

We have them on the shelf now, so if one is noisy when it comes in we can recommend it's changed, but i'd estimate only 1 in 20 really needs it.

They're £174 now BTW, not £130 (typical forum misinformation rumour mill)

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
yeah i was going to say there 150 plus vat i advise there done but if it has good history it dont nessercary need it
plus service history has all to do with it i.e. oil

White clique
dephaser is just a fashion thing, to sound as if people know what they are talking about. I would just follow the Renault guide myself.

Lionel Richie
90% of belt changes we do have a dephaser pulley too, we advise it as having to take it all apart again even 2 years down the line is annoying and costly

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Makes you laugh. About 3 years ago no one knew what a dephaser was. I didn't have mine done @ 72k and it's alright. Mines been looked after though :eek:

3 MPS, MX5
I'm looking at getting another 182 soon and never heard of a dephaser ( I'm not mechanically minded though) but know about the costly cambelt change so will look for one with this done at the correct time.

So what is a dephaser and why do many people mention it on the forum as a main thing to get sorted?

It's a big cog thing. It goes somewhere under the bonnet. If it's going or gone, it will sound like a 15 year old diesel taxi.

If it sounds fine at idle, then I wouldn't worry about it.

It's just a big job to do it as it needs another cambelt so makes sense to do it at the same time. It's not an essential thing.

Lionel Richie
SURPRISE!!!!

Kumbaya, a packet of Hulahoops, 3 spanners, a glass of Rioja and a pint of cider - me and Danny will agree over dinner one day :rasp: