ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser confirmation and/or something else?

2003 Clio 172
Hi gang,

Ok....I am back in the mood for sorting things so I r-e-a-l-l-y think I am going to have a go at the belts myself......I know what some of you will say but I am fairly technically sound and confident with the oily bits. It's bugging me that this is the only thing I am afraid of touching in any car either I or any other member of my family has had......I think I need to have a go.

So, I was hoping you could listen to a little video of my car making noises that annoy me.

My engine seems very *tappy*. I am quite sure that the dephaser is starting to go (you can hear something gaunching a little when you rev, you will hear it in the video) but there is a tapping noise that isn't there when you first start the engine, warm or cold that is only heard at idle. It disappears with the slightest touch of throttle.

You can hear it in the video I have attached below.....the car starts with a warm engine so it tries a fast idle.....then when it rolls off the fast idle down to about 1000 rpm......you can hear the noise coming in at around 18 seconds. Now, as I have said....I am fairly sure the dephaser is going (listen for the blips & gaunches) but this seems very localised to the rocker cover area........seemingly all across it. I listened with a stethoscope.

What are your thoughts guys? I believe that these are hydraulic lifters in the F4R.....could they be playing a part too? If this was one of my older cars, I would be going straight for the tappets.

Its not the injectors as its too far back.....think of it as if my ear is right over the spark plug area.

Would appreciate any inside people, thanks

Andy

Last edited:

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
It is mate but you would be amazed how the sound travels ! very easy to confuse this with other things and is often overlooked . Not saying its definatly that but they do get noisy with miles mine did. pull off aux belt and run for a FEW SECONDS only with it off if noise stops that's what it is !
if your not confident yourself ask a reputable garage to do check theyshould diagnose it very quickly
Not saying that's what your noise is but it maybe .

2003 Clio 172
All of it Dan?
Even the weird idle noise and noise when revved?
How on earth does that travel up the block and echo out through the rocker?
J

2003 Clio 172
It is mate but you would be amazed how the sound travels ! very easy to confuse this with other things and is often overlooked . Not saying its definatly that but they do get noisy with miles mine did. pull off aux belt and run for a FEW SECONDS only with it off if noise stops that's what it is !
if your not confident yourself ask a reputable garage to do check theyshould diagnose it very quickly
Not saying that's what your noise is but it maybe .
Sorry, missed this bud. I'll be doing the pump anyway so will leave it till I do the lot.

As long as there is not something fundamentally wrong with the engine that's enough for me :)

A

2003 Clio 172
I know bud.....appreciate that. The noise that concerns me is the one that slowly comes in at 18 seconds......this is after the car has settled to idle.

2003 Clio 172
Superb (well not really, lol)

Now I just have to get the balls and the locking tools to do it myself.

Expect more posts doubting my ability between now and then, possibly during too :p

Cheers bud
J