ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser knock and 3rd gear synchro is munched - engine out is best option?

2004 ph2 172
Hi there.
My 172 has been off the road for the best part of a couple of years now (sprogs and house renovation take priority) and after having recently tried to sell it I've realised that it's not worth as much as I'd hoped. So Im keeping it. It's in perfect condition apart from the Dephaser and a crunch when shifting up and working the car hard.

I'm in Sweden, and despite the local renault dealer/garage having done the cambelt, waterpump and aux stuff 4 years ago, they insist they didn't replace Aux and water pump (I have the old parts, and SAW the work in progress) and they also state that "That engine doesn't have a dephaser mate" .... so yeah. Not letting them near it.

I can borrow the "do not do this job without them" renault tools, I've got all the time in the world, and the jobs don't phase me - but am I right in saying that I might as well yoink the engine/'box out and do the job in comfort? I guess engine mounts can be done at the same time, and I can sort out the engine bay at the same time. Also... Clutch maybe?

Cheers for any answers :)

182cup & 172 racecar
If you are quite happy to remove the engine and box, then why not. It will make it much easier for you, plus, as you say, you can get all the other jobs done at the same time.