ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Depreciation

VW Golf TDI
I think im gonna cry, Paid 10490 for my car 8 months ago now, And its worth about 9 tops now. How gutted am I. Keep looking hopefully the market will pick up soon, I keep saying this but my car must go in the autotrader soon.

Hey ho, March 12th my ne car comes .......Cant wait

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
The market won't pick up mate.. its a Renault.

{Edit} Jesus Ad, f**king echo in here! ;)

VW Golf TDI
Yeah lol, New car is a VW Eos, Not mine tho, So no depreciation, Just Tax from now on. New car every 6 months too

VW Golf TDI
Yeah, Just the fact I kept my old 172 for a year added 20k and sold it for the same amount I bought it for!!!

Mazda MX5 1.8
ive lost about £3k in value over 3 years (compared to what they are up for in autotrader)

not bad but if i was bothered by it i wouldnt have bought a brand new car

Clio 197
I paid 15k for my 182 two years ago (to swallow some depreciation from my ol' 225)...

...it'll be auctioned-off next week for about 6k.

(ok I put 60k on it but still, that's 9k depreciation in 2 years!!!!)

:S

Interestingly, the book price for my car (as it is at the moment) is around 7k.

Clio Cup
I didnt really consider depreciation an issue with this car compared to more expensive cars I have owned but I guess 9k depreciation is a lot. But imagine the people spending over 30 grand on evos that are now worth 16 grand after a few years or tvr with all its problems now those cars will take a big hit surely.

Ad

MK2 FRS
its all releative.

With all cars, if you pay retail and then sell private or px then the you lose the most.

to give you some idea, over 8mths ago a looked at a FF 182 with cup packs, 05reg with 17k on clock would have been mine for 8650..... thats how to beat depreciation.. buy cheap:)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I have to disagree with part of your statement Ad .

Selling private is the best way . A general rule of thumb is never part ex if you don't have to . You'll get rock bottom price for the motor your part exchanging as the dealer wants to make money on the vehicle he's selling and then the vehicle he's receiving off you .

A private buyer will more often than not try and knock you down on the price , but he if really wants it he'll give you the full asking price , or you can call their bluff , stand your ground until he does .

Thats from my experience anyway .

Cars depreciate , fact .I wouldn't say Renaults are any worse than most makes imo. If your looking for a long term investment don't put your money into cars as they cost you from the very first day you bought it until you sell it .

I can't believe people are surprised when they get offered alot less than they think they will for their motor . Its a lump of metal that needs maintaining ffs .Buy it , enjoy it and stop whingeing , lol .:quiet:

But like Ad says , buy second hand and let somebody else take the majority of the depreciation .

Last edited:
If you're buying new always beat the dealer down on price I got 2k off the list price of my 182 Cup. I intend keeping it for another 2 years and it should be worth 5 - 6k so looking at around 120 quid a month in depreciation, I can live with that.
It pays to decide on why you want to buy your new car in the first place - take pacey for example, from what I recall he bought his car to save on fuel bills (If I'm wrong correct me Pacey) - but took a 2.5k loss in 2 months. Maybe buying an Aygo would of been a better choice - a classless car (like the original mini), cheap, fairly well built and fun to drive.
Then say after 2 and half months, realising that maybe the car isn't right and the car gets moved on then depreciation would be 500 quid max.

To be fair, I've sold the car at rock bottom price because i need to get rid of it. i could have kept it on my drive for another 2-3months and got another £500 for it, but as I now need to find somewhere else to live i decided to cut my loses and just get shot if it. Granted I did buy it to save money, and saved a few quid on tax and insurance but the thing kept going wrong and i lost patience in the end.

Fiesta ST3
I think im gonna cry, Paid 10490 for my car 8 months ago now, And its worth about 9 tops now. How gutted am I. Keep looking hopefully the market will pick up soon,

i was thinking the same just the other day i think i should have got an older 172 saved a few grand and still smiled as much as i do when i drive my 182:approve:

Ad

MK2 FRS
I have to disagree with part of your statement Ad .

Selling private is the best way . A general rule of thumb is never part ex if you don't have to . You'll get rock bottom price for the motor your part exchanging as the dealer wants to make money on the vehicle he's selling and then the vehicle he's receiving off you .

A private buyer will more often than not try and knock you down on the price , but he if really wants it he'll give you the full asking price , or you can call their bluff , stand your ground until he does .

Thats from my experience anyway .

Cars depreciate , fact .I wouldn't say Renaults are any worse than most makes imo. If your looking for a long term investment don't put your money into cars as they cost you from the very first day you bought it until you sell it .

I can't believe people are surprised when they get offered alot less than they think they will for their motor . Its a lump of metal that needs maintaining ffs .Buy it , enjoy it and stop whingeing , lol .:quiet:

But like Ad says , buy second hand and let somebody else take the majority of the depreciation .

Sorry to clarify, buying private is not a bad think, buy and sell privately and you will (providing you part with the right cash) minimise the depreciation to the smallest amount.

Tangoed Works
I paid 9800 for my 182 ff in black gold almost a year ago with 14k mile from Renault Ilford. They extended the warranty by an extra 3 months so that when it needs mot if anything has gone wrong it will get sorted for free. I bought it 7 months old so a lot of depreciation would have happened and I got a virtually brand new car where nothing has gone wrong.

Think now being an 05 plate in immaculate condition I have lost about 1k on depreciation which I can stomach, but Im not selling. I would never buy brand new now, between 6-12months is ideal so someone else takes the vat hit and initial depreciation.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Buy private sell private, it's the only way.

Maybe more people on here should give it a go, save loads.

Buy a car in 'demand' & you can't loose.;)

Never be in a rush to sell ( on here cars prices are droped by the hour:eek:), certain times of year are no no for selling, but good for buying.

182, Golf
I sell Landrover's for a living.

10490 - 9000 trust me is really really good depreciation. Everything at work seems to drop a massive amount. 20,000 in 3months 50% after 18months. Range Rovers are scary. what ever you lose from retail to trade is first the dealerships profi then depreciation. I checked today and 172, 182's are dropping between 300-400 a month dependant on age etc.

BMW 535D
bought my 182 back in march for £8700 (both cup packs, 17k miles) which i thought was a good price! Now i see similar reg cars with higher mileage still being advertised for over the £9k mark on auto trader.

so in 10 months i reckon i've maybe lost a few hundred quid if that, which i can live with :p