ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Desire to 4S?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Ive had a HTC desire since they were released and loved it. Im due for an upgrade and can either pick the Sensation or the 4s.

Has anyone swapped over to iOS 4 etc from Android. Im kinda tempted by the 4s now. Nice screen and camera are really appealing to me tbh oh and the lloyds tsb bank app.

Any constructive/objective answers would be helpful, not just the usual Apple are amazing or all their products are for materialistic plonkers etc.

I love my iMAc so can appreciate Apple products totally and my MAC is the best Home computer i have ever owned. Price/contract length etc isnt an issue but i just want the best phone out there.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Oh also i love google maps with voice navigationon my Desire i use it all the time.
Can i run a satnav and be connected to a bluetooth headset and make calls on an Iphone?

Last edited:
  SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Can i run a satnav and be connected to a bluetooth headset and make calls on an Iphone?

Yes. Also Co-Pilot Premium is 30% off at the moment. It's a proper Sat-Nav, i.e. not crap like Googles one on Android. You don't need to be connected to 3G for it to work.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Oh also i love google maps with voice navigationon my Desire i use it all the time.

i use tom tom sat nav in my iphone to go most places, you can also play music / make calls while the tom tom app is still running.

edit; iphone 4/4s also uses GPS and not 3g signal so the sat nav app rarely looses GPS signal

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Cool thanks.

Also can i check my, calendar in call?

On Android i get a snippet of received email/SMS at the top of screen. Does iOS 5 do this too?

Bumder With A Buffer
Yes. Also Co-Pilot Premium is 30% off at the moment. It's a proper Sat-Nav, i.e. not crap like Googles one on Android. You don't need to be connected to 3G for it to work.

ROFL.

You do know co-pilot is on the Android too. As well as lots of others.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Also when i dial the first part of a number does the phonebook and dialled list come on?

Revels Mum & Sister
Also Navigation on Android works bloody well, it is certainly not a crap one like you suggest. Just another idiot babbling on when he has no idea what Android is capable off.

In the past 2 years I have had a iPhone 4, Desire, Nexus S and now a 4S. I have just moved from the Nexus S to the 4S. With IOS 5 it does everything I need now that Android did. It also does incredibly well, now IMO far better than Android. It is more locked down but everything works on the iPhone out the box. However I did love fiddling with Android.

For now the 4S and IOS5 is top of the pile for me, however this may change.... Also Ice Cream Sandwich is out soon and the Nexus handset which looks impressive.

Polo + Micra
have you tried the sensation?

i was showing my mate mine (he has a desire HD) as it was hell of alot quicker.

to me the iPhone 4s specs(not taking it account software) have brought it up par with other phones already on the market

Revels Mum & Sister
Yeah the other half has one.

It isnt all about the Spec though.. Yes it has brought it up to spec however IOS5 makes it far more fluid

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
It's all swings and roundabouts.

I see the "walled garden" as a necessity to provide security and coherence....and the "non walled garden" of android as a mess of app stores, user interfaces and forks. Yet I'm sure most android users see it the opposite way, "inflexibility" vs. "choice".

Polo + Micra
It's all swings and roundabouts.

I see the "walled garden" as a necessity to provide security and coherence....and the "non walled garden" of android as a mess of app stores, user interfaces and forks. Yet I'm sure most android users see it the opposite way, "inflexibility" vs. "choice".

I'm struggling to find more than one "app store" on my android phone:S

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

I think he must mean things like the Samsung store etc. Why you would use anything other than the Android market is another question though...
I've just gone from a Desire to a Galaxy S2. It's a far better upgrade than I was expecting with the Desire been so good tbh. Better battery, so light and fast and the screen is truly stunning. As much as I can appreciate that the iphone is a good phone but as good as it's screen is I don't think I could go to a smaller screen than what I had with the Desire.

Plus flol at the above regarding sat nav. Google Navigation works a treat on Android unless your going abroad in which case I use Co Pilot which happened to cost me sweet FA on Android;).

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Well for a start theres the two big ones, google marketplace and the amazon app store...

...then there lots of other ones.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I never said Android doesn't have Sat-Nav apps. My point is that the built in functionality offers a few disadvantages. Firstly the last time I used it you either had to have a data signal or cache the maps before the journey. Secondly, with it being free it doesn't let the proper sat-nav app developers slog it out with each other.

For example, on the iPhone there is no free built in sat-nav (other than Google Maps - 2D, simple point to point, like the website). Pretty much all the sat-nav apps are paid and the market is very competitive, meaning that the apps get better quicker. Google killed this on their platform because if something is built in and is "good enough" (i.e. not exactly amazing to use) then people will use that, their phone came with this, why should they download another app free or not?

Any way, I give up because the OP has his answers now.

Tbh I think it's swings and roundabouts. No matter what apple/android tell you, there isn't a great deal between the two, if the iPhone does one unique thing, a HTC will have another unique feature. It comes down to what's important, I think it would be fair to say you need to "look after" an android phone more, whereas an iPhone will more take care of itself. The flip side to this is the iPhone is less flexible, more rigid and won't allow you to change simple things, like the battery. for example the HTC desire S will allow you to alter the phone quite a lot, upgraded batteries for a start. Flash is something to remember with web browsing, and this will trigger the apple fan boys usual reaction of "name me a useful website that uses flash apart from YouTube" but at the end of the day many websites do use flash, and if one day you can't view it, it could be detrimental, be it to work, or to p**n viewage :D

Horses for courses.

Popular videos are HTML5 and apps are obviously not Flash.

Flash will die and it'll be good for everyone.

Will die when?! I agree it isn't amazing, but it's not going anywhere at the moment.

My point stands that as an example, YouTube uses flash plugin to play videos. Only certain videos are HTML5 and not all browsers use HTML5?!

Decent browsers are. I think the new IE supports it?

If you use the app then everything is viewable. A better point would have been the BBC site or something.

It's already dying out. Websites designed it in should have been binned a long long time ago. It's only use now is video content and they can be gotten around.

People who publish content want it to be seen by the most people so it's in their interests to get rid of flash. Despite it being on Android handsets, it's still not a great viewing experience.

Totally agree, what I was saying is Flash seems to be very common still. BBC is a good example also, YouTube was simply the first thing that came to mind!

In all honesty viewing any video on a mobile is piss poor, I simply pointed it out as I don't know what's most important to the op...

But yeah, Flash will probably die, I'm just not convinced it'll be anytime soon!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Thanks chaps. Flash is pants, i switch it off anyway while i browse.

Google maps navigation is excellent

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
4s is out of stock everywhere!!

Is it worth getting a 32gb?