ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Desperate, on going fault

TT QS
I posted a while back about a misfire/acceleration issue on my 182.

I've changed the leads, plugs, coil pack, both sensors on the inlet, cleaned everything in sight and now it's officially broken me as I changed the throttle body (for the sensor) in the rain.
It misfires on idle and on full throttle it stutters and pops and bangs. However half throttle it revs perfectly.
Also done a compression test and all is good. It couldn't be a poor joint on the exhaust could it?

Really need a few ideas as it's driving me round the bend now. Thanks in advance cser's

RB 182
I've got a spare injector if you want to trial that, my car is the same at the moment and I've given up doing it myself. Have taken the car to EJM in Alcester for a good looking over, you should drop yours off there too, he'd love to have two RB's ;)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I posted a while back about a misfire/acceleration issue on my 182.

I've changed the leads, plugs, coil pack, both sensors on the inlet, cleaned everything in sight and now it's officially broken me as I changed the throttle body (for the sensor) in the rain.
It misfires on idle and on full throttle it stutters and pops and bangs. However half throttle it revs perfectly.
Also done a compression test and all is good. It couldn't be a poor joint on the exhaust could it?

Really need a few ideas as it's driving me round the bend now. Thanks in advance cser's

Does the stuttering go away once the engine is fully warmed ? I've had this twice now in the past couple of days and I've had it before at the back end of last year , always when the weather is very very wet and the cars been stood overnight , but once fully warmed it goes away . I know the joint on the exhaust isn't good , it pops and bangs sometimes . I fixed it a few months ago but now It's come back . I also get fault code P0136 , indicating something with the lambda sensor . I'm convinced that its moisture getting into the exhaust via the bad joint . Once it's all fully warmed up, the exhaust must expand just enough to make a better seal and it goes away . It's a strange problem I know . But like I said . It only ever happens to mine when the weathers really wet and lately we've had torrential rain where I live.

Sounds like an injector issue, i have a few sets available all on fuel rails and 100% working.

TT QS
I've got a spare injector if you want to trial that, my car is the same at the moment and I've given up doing it myself. Have taken the car to EJM in Alcester for a good looking over, you should drop yours off there too, he'd love to have two RB's :wink:

Failed Injector? Very common and the exact symptoms as you describe.

Sounds like an injector issue, i have a few sets available all on fuel rails and 100% working.

ive changed the injectors to try and solve this as a mate that had a 172 said he had a similar issue. im hoping one of the new lot hasnt failed too but its another thing to check. if anything though it seems like its over fueling. on full throttle when it stutters it often lets out a big pop which it never does. also it seems abit rich when on idle.

thats why i thought it was the tps and it wasnt getting enough air? god knows. i may have to go to there meek. saying that i will need pms top mounts and spring fitting soon (i hadnt planned on the car breaking when i ordered cooksports lol)

Does the stuttering go away once the engine is fully warmed ? I've had this twice now in the past couple of days and I've had it before at the back end of last year , always when the weather is very very wet and the cars been stood overnight , but once fully warmed it goes away . I know the joint on the exhaust isn't good , it pops and bangs sometimes . I fixed it a few months ago but now It's come back . I also get fault code P0136 , indicating something with the lambda sensor . I'm convinced that its moisture getting into the exhaust via the bad joint . Once it's all fully warmed up, the exhaust must expand just enough to make a better seal and it goes away . It's a strange problem I know . But like I said . It only ever happens to mine when the weathers really wet and lately we've had torrential rain where I live.

im having a go at the exhaust tomorrow. when i fitted the decat and centre section the proper bolts were not used by the previous owner so im going to make sure the joints are A ok ect. it does sound abit like my 1.4 and i know the exhaust on that is leaking (i caught it on a speed bump) so im hoping that may be whats causing all the problems. although i doubt it very much

HardacreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182
Have you checked the Pre-cat Lambda? Mine ran rich and inconsistent cause the lambda just didn't respond properly.

TT QS
that was another thing i did do actually. i got a new lambda for in the decat and tried swapping it with the pre-cat one to make sure and it didnt seem to change anything. whilst im under there tomorrow i think ill give them both a little clean and check the connections just to be sure.

the car works, just not very well. full throttle is horrendous. its like somethings holding it back. 1/2 or less it pulls ace. and obviously on idle its spluttering. ill try and get a video also tomorrow of it

Last edited:

Drakec

ClioSport Club Member
  Bmw m635csi,polo.
Did you use genuine manifold sensors I fit a cheap ebay air temp sensor as I needed one quick and I had exactly the same symptoms. Replaced it with a genuine renault one and it solved the misfire.

TT QS
Did you use genuine manifold sensors I fit a cheap ebay air temp sensor as I needed one quick and I had exactly the same symptoms. Replaced it with a genuine renault one and it solved the misfire.

actually both. i have another inlet manifold that both sensors (that i believe are genuine) and i got a couple of cheap ones to try also.
now youve said that, ill get on the phone to renault in the 'morrow and get a couple priced up. did yours have similar symptoms as mine when they were playing up?

Drakec

ClioSport Club Member
  Bmw m635csi,polo.
actually both. i have another inlet manifold that both sensors (that i believe are genuine) and i got a couple of cheap ones to try also.
now youve said that, ill get on the phone to renault in the 'morrow and get a couple priced up. did yours have similar symptoms as mine when they were playing up?
It was very similar but mainly had a misfire on hard acceleration I changed the injectors and plugs before this sensor as well and it made no difference. It might be an idea to get a multimeter and just check the continuity between the plugs and ecu connections this sounds like it could be a wiring issue.

TT QS
It was very similar but mainly had a misfire on hard acceleration I changed the injectors and plugs before this sensor as well and it made no difference. It might be an idea to get a multimeter and just check the continuity between the plugs and ecu connections this sounds like it could be a wiring issue.

Yeah I think it's looking that way. Hopefully a bit of tinkering tomorrow will solve it. I doubt it very much. It's very strange as it just happened when I'd parked it up. If I didn't love it, I'd hate it

TT QS
slight update. i drove the car to work this morning and it was the best its been for a while. im still convinced that the poor exhaust joint isnt helping the misfire (my 1.4 is the same after a speedbump had a go, another thing to mess with) so in approx an hour or so that job on the 182 will be under way. maybe an end is in sight for this problem. im praying so

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It does sound exactly like what I had , a bad joint on the exhaust . Hope you get it sorted .

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Check your plugs, if you have one dodgy injector its likely that the cylinder will be running lean. I've actually had it on one engine where the end of the plug was getting eaten up due to detonation.

TT QS
bit of a bump but a big thanks to all who helped on this thread. i really appreciate it!

as of last saturday the exhaust now has a much better joint and is no where near as blowy (im not a big fan of how scorpion centre sections join, there must be a better way)

my mate turned up with a new knock sensor and that got fitted and it seems a bit better on idle now. full throttle is now working again thanks to the new throttle body and the thing flies. i really forgot how quick it actually is! its only issue is the slight missfire on idle and from 1000 to 2000 revs. otherwise its fine.

ive filled up a full tank of tesco 99 and im going to use it for an extended period and check the plugs ect again to make sure all is well and also order some genuine sensors for the inlet.

otherwise im happy and the new year will bring pms top mounts and cooksports to start with then a few powerflex goodies to freshen things up. ill get some photos up of it soon as im yet to actually post a picture of the thing. safe to say. the love is back