ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Destination Nurburgring

Clio 182 full fat
So...I and Ben had a track day booked with Destination-Nurburgring for both days (18th/19th July) which had been booked for some time to help motivate getting the car finished and ready. The car in question is a 106 GTI (Project thread here) which is not fully up to date.

Anyway moving on we left last Friday morning at 6 with my brother in his Evo fq320 and Tom in his Clio 172 cup.

Dover Petrol station

petrols.jpg

On route

onroute.jpg

onroute1.jpg

sign.jpg

Michael Vergers taking passenger round in the radical for 250 euro (far better than a lap in the ring taxi I think!)

radical.jpg

3 Apollo Gumbert which Adrian Sutil managed to crash one just after T13

apolo.jpg

apolo2.jpg

So we decided before the track day started to give the car some test runs baring in mind that it hasn’t been used for 8 months, and majority of the car rebuilt. Anyway after a lap it started tapping loudly top end and got worse with more revs. We left it till next day for another lap and too see if it got any worse, and yes it did...much worse.

We began trying to think what it could be as the car was running very smooth, no smoke, idled fine etc. We went down to rent4ring who were very friendly and asked for some more opinions. Ralph was certain it was not mechanical, and he was right, a spark plug half a turn loose. Sound gone and we were both very happy that the 2 day track day was not over!

So straight away got out for a lap and then this happened!

[FONT=&quot]
breakingdown.jpg
[/FONT]

Now its 180 euro to be pulled off the track, and it was too dangerous to start looking at the car on the track to see what was wrong. However a couple minutes later we realised no more cars were coming round due to a crash. This gave us a chance to check the car out and luckily it was just sensor on the inlet that came off, two second later and car was back running.

Cancelled the recovery, but they wanted to check the car. Car was checked but he was still certain he wanted it towed off. After a bit of disagreeing he agreed we could drive off slowly! The cheek of it but luckily no charge!

Moving on to the track day we managed 45 laps which is just shy of 600 miles, car performed faultlessly.

I’ll let the pictures do the talking!
DNG_5364R.jpg%20

Clio 182 full fat
DNG_0738R.jpg

DNG_3071R.jpg

DNG_3072R.jpg

DNG_3252R.jpg

DNG_3253R.jpg

DNG_4596R.jpg

Quickly close in on the new BMW M1 later on overtaking
DNG_5364R.jpg

M3 getting out the way ;)
DNG_6059R.jpg

Evo
evo.jpg

clio1.jpg

clio2.jpg

clio3.jpg

Overall brilliantly run track day by the guys at DN! Weather held out with only a few quick showers.

The pug was a complete underdog, being ALOT faster than everything else in its class. Quite a few people didn’t want to move but after a few corners being on their arse, they soon moved out the way.

Hopefully be able to get back this year, possibly in September with a bit more power as the engine is still standard.

That’s all, thanks for reading
Tom

Last edited:

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Good read, and looked like a good trip.
Problems due to it being french ftl! ;)

Car looks great.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one mate - glad you enjoyed it. I was due to head over for the track day, too... but sadly had to pull out as I am still paying off the work on my Trophy/engine. However, two friends also enjoyed the track day; they were in a Nissan 350z and an FD2 Type-R.

225 Cup & Williams
600 laps! thats epic. Look's amazing though I really fancy going but I'm feared I will bin my car lol.

Clio 182 full fat
Nice one mate - glad you enjoyed it. I was due to head over for the track day, too... but sadly had to pull out as I am still paying off the work on my Trophy/engine. However, two friends also enjoyed the track day; they were in a Nissan 350z and an FD2 Type-R.

Make sure you get to the next one, was awesome! Dont think I saw the FD2 but I saw a 350z on the trackday, so could be him.

600 laps! thats epic. Look's amazing though I really fancy going but I'm feared I will bin my car lol.

600 miles ;) Yeah you have to take it easy, but its not worth missing out on!

TTRS & V50
All 3 cars look mint ! Troubles at the start I bet were a horrible feeling but the most simplest of rectifications. Nice trip.

B/G 182 FF
Some great pics there, fair play for the 600 miles :), I so need to go to the Nurburgring! gutted for you for the problems you had tho.

Clio 182 full fat
Some great pics there, fair play for the 600 miles :), I so need to go to the Nurburgring! gutted for you for the problems you had tho.

Yeah it not something you can miss IMO, it was pretty worrying as we waiting all year for it, and it can be killed so fast. We were very lucky though!

45 laps!? That's insane!!!

Bet that cost a fair whack

Was on a trackday so unlimited laps but doing that on a tourist day is over £900

Megane GT
Looks great fun, really want to do this next year when i get a faster car :) glad you managed to fix your little problems, that wouldve ben a massive disappointment!