ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing noooob

Megane 225
Hi, Im a complete noob to the whole detailing thing! I have a couple of questions before I start buying and using products. Firsly does it matter if the products used are from different companies and are there any specific steps that I will need to take before claying my car? As far as I am aware the car has never been clayed so will I have to buy a pre cleaner or can I just wash it then clay? Any help will be much appreciated!!

Bumder With A Buffer
Nope u can mix and match products, although sometimes there might be bonding issues.

Process is

wash
dry
clay
wash again if u want
polish
seal
wax

u can skip the seal bit too if necessary.

A good thing to use is Autoglym Super Resin polish. Followed by Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. Both highyly underated product IMO by the product junkies.

SRP will help fill any swirling and EGP is your sealant, u can then use a wax on top of that, something like collinites 476 if u have access to that.

Megane 225
Thanks mate, Ive been looking at getting some dodo juice rainforest rub wax. Already got some Autoglym srp and egp as I have heard good things about them. Where would I be able to buy the collinites 476 from?

Bumder With A Buffer
I4detailing, cleanyourcar, waxamomo.

Hundreds of places. Wax is an odd one and tbh just get whatever u want/find easy to use. Soooo many options and reviews that ul always want to try something else

Bumder With A Buffer
Dodo products IMO look good but don't have a long durability.

Collinite 476 looks good on silver from what I've seen and lasts long long time.

Used it on my Monaco and it was okay but I prefer my nattys or dodo blue velvet on mine for looks.

Bumder With A Buffer
As said go for whatever u want, someone will tell u one thing and others will say something else. IMO dodo stuff is a bit of a gimmick but it IS good.

I have 3 Waxes that I switch between and they all give different results.

All this talk of detailing has made me make baskets of stuff to order! Cheers!!!! :( lol

Megane 225
Sorry dude lol. Im always looking at spending money on cleaning products atm! Got a list of products I wana buy infront of me costing over £100!!!

Bumder With A Buffer
It's a vicious/expensive world to be in i dread to think what I spent last year getting stuff I'd need close to a grand I reckon including pressure washer and polisher :(

Megane 225
Fcuking hell! Thats loads! Ive only really started looking into it as I dont use my car on a daily basis anymore. Never saw the point in it when it was a daily drive coz it was dirty 5 mins after washing it lol. I need a new pressure washer soon, not looking forward to paying for that one!

Bumder With A Buffer
Maybe I haven't spent that much actually now thinking about it £500-£600 as I bought some stuff second hand for a bargain.

Tesco usually do good deals on Karcher units. I think mines a 2.54 and it should of been 150 and I got it for 70.

Megane 225
Still £500-600 is still a fair wedge of cash. Might have to go down to Tesco and have a look at the Karchers. Ive only got an old JCB one, got it about 6 years ago and it leaks like fcuk lol!

Megane 225
Oh ok mate, saves me a trip lol! Thanks alot for the advice its been a great help. Wouldnt of known where to start otherwise!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Richy's got it pretty much spot on, you can clay at the same time as washing though if you have a strong shampoo mixture.

Wax is very subjective and you'll find that great waxes become "rubbish" weeks later because something else is released. SRP & EGP is always a great combo and my favourite wax at the moment is Vics Concours Red.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Ease of use is pretty easy. It's quite greasy so you need a couple MF's to remove residue and grease. There's an optimum window where it's set a bit but not gone hard (like any wax I guess!).

Durability is pretty poor tbh. People seem to apply 2/3 coats where I've only ever done 1 at a time. But there's not a lot of remains after a couple weeks! Still, the gloss it gives is worth it, a very deep warm glow.