ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing questions and advice

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'm fairly new to all this detailing and only done the 182 twice now. I wash the car once a week, and when detailing I wash, dry, clay with Megs quick clay, polish then wax with Collinite.

How often should I polish and re-wax? I've read that you should clay regularly to clean of debris, is this true? I thought you would have to polish and wax after to seal it? Can a wash it weekly then apply another coat of wax to keep it protected?

I'm really struggling with the clay. The car is almost 3yrs old and the first time I clayed it hardly enything came off onto the clay. I went to do the boot and rear bumper the other night as it was covered in tiny tar spots and other little spots. The clay would not touch them, I tried more and less lubricant, new bits of clay, left them to cool and go hard, and got it hot so it was soft and not once did it remove any of it. What am I doing wrong. In the end I got out the Carplan Tar Remover resin, although it took a bit longer it removed everything.

The polish I use is made by Kent Chemicals, a huge tin of blue paste that I got off the valeter from my dads Renault garage. It brings the car up lovely but is quite hard to rub off when its dried. I've never used anything different and was thinking of trying the Auto Glym SRP/ EGP. Whats the difference with the two, do I need to get them both or just one and which one.

Sorry for the essay :dapprove:

106 GTi
I clay once or twice a year depends on where you park. Using it means the need to start again and polish and seal after.

As to how often to wax depends on the durability of the wax - I wax once a month or so.

As for removing tar, shearing it off with Clay is not the best way, get a decent tar remover.

As for Super Resin and Extra Gloss differences.

SRP is a Polish - polishes and cleans.

EGP is a Sealant - seals and protects.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I clay once or twice a year depends on where you park. Using it means the need to start again and polish and seal after.

As to how often to wax depends on the durability of the wax - I wax once a month or so.

As for removing tar, shearing it off with Clay is not the best way, get a decent tar remover.

As for Super Resin and Extra Gloss differences.

SRP is a Polish - polishes and cleans.

EGP is a Sealant - seals and protects.

Why use a sealant? I thought that if the polish isn't a a cutting agent, it would seal it, then protect it with the wax. Would you recommend I use both then?

When you wax once a month, do you just wash, dry then apply wax? no polishing. is it possible to build up layers of wax, say once I've applied it and buffed it off could I then do it again and add another layer.

The tar remover did an ok job, so I'm hoping if I keep it waxed I won't get such a build up of tar

106 GTi
SRP is a mild polish and has a light cut to it.

Reason for using a sealant is as a rule they are more durable than a wax, but tend to lack the warm rich look a proper wax will give, hence why people use both.

Wash, dry, use a quick detail spray and then build up layers of wax. I only polish once or twice a year.

Porsche Boxster987S
good thread this. all questions i needed answers for after detailing last week.

i would definilty recommend the srp/egp combo. i finished it off with dodo juice orange crush wax. hoping to add another layer of wax today. have a look in clio section to see the type of finish the dodo juice provides

Golf GT & A4 Avant
More questions!!!!!

I need a bit more guidance on the using of SRP and EGP. I've read through plenty of threads now and still a little unsure.

After I've washed and dried the car:
- apply a small amount (50p coin to the bonnet or equivilant) of SRP and work in to the paintwork 1 panel at a time until it looks dry. Leave to dry for 30-60mins before buffing off?
- do the same with the EGP as mentioned above, but don't leave to dry and buff off once finished working it into paint?

Then carry on with the waxing in the usual fashion.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
SRP you just keep workin in till it's all gone! None of this waiting around patter.

EGP, can't advise you on that as i dislike it!

Wax on wax off, 5mins per panel!

I clay my car once a yr if that! polish once a yr too.

I use CG Blitz as a post wash seal, takes 20mins to do the car and Swissvax Best of Show as an LSP.

106 GTi
EGP apply to the whole car as thin as possible, no need to rub hard just wipe it gently over the pain. Allow to cure for 45-60 mins and remove. Ideally you then need to wait 12-24 hours before waxing.

Thin is the key here, to thick and it will be a bind to remove and dust.

SRP as Ali says panel at a time work until it is gone and move onto the next panel.

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
egp is good stuff! im converted! apply with a nice megs pad too! makes life a bit easier! ;)

i applied it the other week srp and then egp left for 3hours and you really can tell the difference! imo :eek:

DSCF0463.jpg

DSCF0459.jpg

DSCF0455.jpg

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Thanks for the replies, that's cleared that up nicely.

BUT. I should leave the car after EGP approx 12-24 hours before applying wax?

It's not garaged overnight so if I leave it over night it'll need a light wash to clean the surface again of any light dust and dirt etc before I apply the wax. Is this right? or is there a quicker way than a whole re wash

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R

It's not garaged overnight so if I leave it over night it'll need a light wash to clean the surface again of any light dust and dirt etc before I apply the wax. Is this right? or is there a quicker way than a whole re wash

I normally wait untill I wash it the week after, then add some wax. Plus I've had enough by the time the EGP comes out.

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
^^ agree once you have applied srp and egp ive had enough too! you will see a big difference anyway :)

182kev

Rather than make an extra thread can you wax too much ? as in aqua wax,recently with the crap weather i've used aqua wax on a weekly basis after washing,is this fine or too much ?

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Rather than make an extra thread can you wax too much ? as in aqua wax,recently with the crap weather i've used aqua wax on a weekly basis after washing,is this fine or too much ?

Won't do it no harm getting a bit more protection.

Some paste waxes can be layered nicely.

I normally wax the car once 4 or 6 weeks, but always use a good quick detailer after washing the car anyway.

106 GTi

Needs to be left in order for it to bond and set up properly.

On light dust you may get away with just a QD spray.

Weekly waxing is fine if you have the time. I always use a spray type wax after each wash.