ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diagnosis before I burn the f*cker? (VIDEO INCLUDED)

S4 Avant
After the wheel nearly falling off this morning, I thought my day couldn't get much worse. Turns out I was wrong.

The car won't start now. Im just getting a clicking from the (starter motor?).

It's not the battery, I've had the car on jump leads and its still not working. Battery voltage is reading a tad high though, at 12.8v
It's not a dodgy earth, I've checked the voltages.

Only things I can think of now are TDC sensor, and starter motor being at fault?

Re: Diagnosis before I burn the f*cker?

It would still crank if it was the TDC though surely it just wouldn't sync and fire? Is the starter just clicking or turning the engine over?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I just read it on the book of face and wrote a sarcastic and childish reply. I deleted it though as I thought you may not be in a particularly good mood...

Starter motor went on mine and its a fcuking pig to get to so you can give it whack.

:(

S4 Avant

Fook knows anymore. All I have is a clicking.

Immobiliser light goes out as well, so it's nothing to do with that.

S4 Avant

I just read it on the book of face and wrote a sarcastic and childish reply. I deleted it though as I thought you may not be in a particularly good mood...

Starter motor went on mine and its a fcuking pig to get to so you can give it whack.

:(

LOL I've not seen that?

Starter motor is a b*****d to get to, which is why I'm dreading it being at fault. Going to get it jacked up tomorrow and smash the s**t out of a few things.

S4 Avant

Click me, I'm a video:

th_IMG_0920.jpg

That's my issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

As you say doesn't sound like immobiliser if its only clicking as it would still crank just not fire! I would say its the starter :S

172 and vw passat

sounds like what a mate of mine had, turned out to be the ground strap

S4 Avant

sounds like what a mate of mine had, turned out to be the ground strap

Can't be, i bought a new one two weeks ago, and had the multimeter measuring voltage between the positive terminal and bodywork.

ph1 172

Is that the solenoid engaging and disengaging fast? I had a 206 that did something similar, needed and new starter motor which was the biggest PITA to fit.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

HAve you put it in 2nd gear, hand brake off and rock fcuk out of it backwards and forwards? Or even tried a bump start?

That's a strange noise, :S When the starter packed up on the Cup it clicked but not like that.

Have you tried bump starting it?

S4 Avant

Not tried bump starting it yet, my house is at the bottom of every hill around. Will get the tow rope out tomorrow and trying bump starting it with a tow.

Plan of action:

Bump start
Smash starter with hammer
Burn
Buy S4.

ph1 172

HAve you put it in 2nd gear, hand brake off and rock fcuk out of it backwards and forwards? Or even tried a bump start?

Rocking it might work. I have just remembered that I had to do this on my 206

Not tried bump starting it yet, my house is at the bottom of every hill around. Will get the tow rope out tomorrow and trying bump starting it with a tow.

Plan of action:

Bump start
Smash starter with hammer
Burn
Buy S4.
Sound like a plan for one and two but the final two will be expensive options ;)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR

What does rocking it do?!

3 Series touring

#edit :just watched video and my suggestion SSS wrong

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

That's not a clicking I've ever heard before. Ever.

Interesting one. My advice, point one of the pro's this way, it sounds VERY distinctive.

S4 Avant
IT LIVES!

b*stard french piece of s**t.

Think the starter was just jammed, had it up on axle stands, checked all the bolts for the starter, everything looked fine, checked the TDC sensor, tried starting it in the air, and it still didn't want any of it.

Put it back on the ground, must have unjammed the starter and the b*****d fired. Good little car.