ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diagnostics Tool / Fault Code Reader / RS Tuner ?

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
I'm looking to get something to read & reset the codes on my recently purchased Clio 172. A bit of searching has shown that there are handheld ones on eBay for about £25, as well as Chinese leads for about the same or there's the option of an RStuner box. Just wondering if there are any other sensibly priced options and whether the RS Tuner needs a new licence to read codes and is worth the extra money (about £80-90 secondhand)? The car has been remapped, I think using an RS Tuner but I'm not 100% on that. It would be nice to have the option of returning it to sto stock for the insurance but I'm not overly bothered about that at this time.

All help gratefully received.

Cheers, AndyC

172 cup, Impreza P1
You only need a licence to remap your car not to read codes. If you bought a second hand rstuner you could read the codes and sell it on for as much as you bought it for so it could work out free.

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
Thanks for that; I was hoping that was the case. I can always buy a license at a later date.

I've seen quite a few threads about firmware so will have to do some research on that and have a look in the for sale section later on.

PH1 172
Don't hold me to this as I have not tried it myself, but I am I sure I read some where that the RSTUNER is fine to READ the faults but it will not let you delete the faults..... some one please correct me if I am wrong, like I say I have only used a licensed RSTUNER......

RSTuner is on par with the official CLIP when it comes to reading/erasing fault codes. (license not required)
Datalogging features are better/faster than the official CLIP system.
However the CLIP is capable of reading ALL ECU's, where RSTuner reads only the ones that are enabled. Engine ECU (always enabled), Airbag, ABS.

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
Just used the RS Tuner to read and clear my fault codes :approve: Great piece of kit, pleased that I got it at a good price.

Just need to look at ECU re-programming now...

Cheers for the help chaps.

PH1 172
RSTuner is on par with the official CLIP when it comes to reading/erasing fault codes. (license not required)
Datalogging features are better/faster than the official CLIP system.
However the CLIP is capable of reading ALL ECU's, where RSTuner reads only the ones that are enabled. Engine ECU (always enabled), Airbag, ABS.

Good to hear we CAN use the RSTUNER on other cars to help them read & erase faults without a licence :)