ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diesel Renaultsport Clio

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Saner on 23 June 2004

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 23 June 2004

I would. Maybe. It would be fast alright. But it would still be a diesel. They sound bad, they smell bad and they chuck clouds of black smoke..... Having said that, a 2.0 150 Dci engine in a Clio would be awesome......
Diesels today dont smell bad, not as bad as unleaded petrol and they dont chuck out clouds of smoke. There also not as noisey as they used to be, but still the sound is something that puts me off buying one.
So what was coming out of the back of an 04 passat I was following today then?? Fairy Dust?? No. A puff of smoke as black as the ace of spades every time he put his foot down!!

Would have to be at least 150 BHP, 6 speed box and same spec as the 172/182.

Only danger might be the heavy block making the car nose happy.

Would buy one as long as the handling was right.

I think that powerful TD engines are great for lots of driving.

For B-roads though, I favour a balanced engine with low-down torque and a linear torque curve all the way to a high red-line. Its not asking the impossible as the Willy F7R certainly does this, but Ive yet to see a TD with these characteristics. You need to be able to use the throttle to control the car while still steering... I think the "sudden" power delivery of a TD is not suitable for this beyond a small rev band.

Since a hot hatch - and a Renault in particular - should be in its element along B-roads, I think current TDs are unsuitable for such a car.

By all means, make and market it as a refined cruiser - but I think it would spoil the illustrious back-road fun lineage of Renault hot hatches.

Clio 197

In answer to comments about 180 being the max bhp produced by a diesel, think again...

The famous VAG 1.9 TDi 130 can be chipped for 500 squid, and you end up with a 300 bhp beast. I would say that aint bad at all.

Anyone for a diesel A3/Golf/Leon/Ibiza with 300 bhp? Come on... you would woudnt ya...

Sort out the engine with a chip, handling with a few tweeks here and there... you can get 4wd for the A3 (even if it isnt faxtory fitted)...

Check out http://www.auto-amd.comwww.auto-amd.com

Ive always wanted a Clio with a fast DCI engine in it. 100hp is just a warm hot hatch nothing amazing there.

They need one to keep up with other cars comming out sure the new diesel 206 isnt going to be that quick but Seat and Skoda and the Polo are/will do well.
I know a fair bit about diesels and you CAN design them to rev to petrol like levels and even make them have petrol like torque curves. The problem is diesels have been designed and got a repuation as low reving engine which are used in tractors and its unfair on them.

170 say hp Clio would be excellent sure the petrol would have to be the top of the range but tunning the 2.0 petrols is expensive but for ~£500 on diesels you can remap them and stick the boost up and get masive gains a 170hp Clio would go to ~210hp with just a remap. The only thing is the weight of a big diesel engien as there heavy might be best keep it down to say 1.7 liters and run higer boost or twin turbos AKA the new BWM 35D to keep the power delivers good all though the range. Also the heavy front engine would lead to the car understearing more so not as good as the petrol version.

The 1.9 ti is an excellent example of fast diesels they can be chipped to 210hp (the 150s can) even the 130 hit ~180hp.
The problem is getting a big strong box to take the torque and preferably having 6 speeds. The 6 speed NDo box would be ok but will Id guess be expensive and weighty.

Theres no way a chip will get you more than 240hp on a 150 and thats expensive custom work with smoke trails.

If you want someone to write an article on why they should make a Sport Clio Ill do it for you I want one for sure.

Might be interesting to make it 4*4 for a real rally car drive as if you get the weight down to say 1.2 ton then the car will get a repuation as being a scoobie rival particulary if they make it good enough to take a decient remap. Reputations from other drivers like that are inportant in keeping the cars value up and sales up as well. Also it gets the rest of the cars more credibility ie the E55 might loose money for the company but they wouldnt care as it keeps the range cred up. Look at Vauxhal with the VX220 it most likly is a very unprofitable car but get the range a repuation.

People seem to accept low down reving V8 which loose power about 5k but ignore diesels as they die of at 4k. If you make the diesel to rev to ~6k and make power upto 5k then people will start looking more and more at diesle.

Diesel fuel is getting better and better so more efficient higer pressure engines can be made which rev high with no smoke.

Bring on the 210hp DCi Clio.

Remember that the reason were talking about major power gains from diesels is because theyre using forced induction. An equivalent turbo petrol will also make large gains.

Regarding V8 revs etc... Id never advocate a V8 for a B-road hot hatch either.

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 23 June 2004

Remember that the reason were talking about major power gains from diesels is because theyre using forced induction. An equivalent turbo petrol will also make large gains.
Whilst yes I agree with you forced induction helps in the tunning stakes but many tunners dont need to increase the boost to get more power. Diesels can get ~15% more power just from increasing the injection beginning and end timming. This is why simple tunning boxes get suck gains on diesels when all they do is add a bit more length onto the injection timming.

The VAG tunners in the UK (except one company) keep stock boost levels and modify the injection maps instead for huge gains. The monster 205hp ATW Golf 150 on the continet runs stock boost.

Im a big diesel fan and although a petrol is more fun to drive though the box ie reving it. I prefere sticking the car in one gear and drive in that one gear all the time after all theres only so fast I want to drive on the UK roads. (I still would like 172/182 though)

why does everyone think that diesels are smelly/noisey and give off smoke?

Come drive my DCI and see if it changes your mind.

Nowt wrong with diesel technology or tuning. But one gear on B-roads wont do! Not Renault hot hatch style IMO - wont marry with the handling.

What sort of spec dci are they looking at the 1.9 would be an easy 140hp drop in engine. The present 1.5 might be good for 130hp. The new 1.2 (unreleased) is a little to small but would be excelent for weight and balance.

Now the 3.0 dci thats what I want to see with a manual box (Saab use the same engine with a manual box).

With the new Seat Ibiza tdi with 160hp the Clio would need similar levels of power in sport spec to be an equivalently good car. Since both cars are of about the same price. Just look at Fabia VRS and Ibiza sales to see how popular it would be.

Im sure a sporty exhaust note could be made along with some petrol like habits by using second generation common rail technology and duel turbos.

Smoke whe you floor it can be iridicated with filters etc but if people got them to 4k or 5k more often then they wouldnt smoke as much.

BTW dump valves dont work on DCIs

Nowt wrong with diesel technology or tuning. But one gear on B-roads wont do! Not Renault hot hatch style IMO - wont marry with the handling.
Ooops soory forgot about it being a sport model. It would have to be derated looks wise and not be a Renault sport model and placed somwhere between the Petrol and dynamique model IMO if there not going to get exciting with engines. But with a new engine or least a redesigned engine with some weight in the boot (spare wheel + battery?) then maybe handling wouldnt be so bad.

Lots of Alfas

yep I would, better mpg (not that 182s is anything to complain about) turbo diesel clio with 6 speed and available in flame red please :).

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

new deisals are designed to have a lot of torque very low down the rev range. they are a lot more refined than the old indirect injection deisal engines where you had to wait for the turbo to kick in. the new dci pulls well from right down the rev range and you dont get very much lag at all.

Yep the thing is its not necessarily about speed, its about that hard to define aspect of a car that makes it fun. I love that kick in the back that takes me from 5k-7.5k and the scream of the 4-pot petrol as it does. I dont think even in a fast diesel you would get that undefinable grin-factor, or that sportiness

The reason I cant see a diesel-engined Clio being a B-road whizzard is the issue of the power band. Id have thought a mighty diesel would either give too much power in too small a rev-band or run out of puff between gear changes. I dont think you could use the throttle to adjust the stance and cornering agility like you can in a good petrol engine.

In every other respect, Im sure it would be fine though. Just not a challenger for the 205GTi/Williams mantle.

the only thing i like about a petrol car is you can rev it higher.

doing 115 @ 4200 - 4500rpm in 5th is pretty good though lol

A 3.0L diesel turbo would kick serious arse though!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by boyced on 25 June 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Si172 on 23 June 2004

Fabia VRS. Do i need to say anymore.
and it was quicker round the track than a cooper S!

No it isnt. that was a cooper. not an s