ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difference between no amp and with amp

Clio 1.2 16V Dynamique 02
I'm wanting to upgrade the stock HU in my clio and get the custom fit comp Pioneer speakers. I've already heard people saying amp the speakers instead of purely using the HU but how much difference will it really make? I am new to all this and only know the very basics of fitting an amp so would rather not do it. Is it worth all the hassle of spending more on buying/fitting an amp?

I'm only gonna be using the stereo on the way to work and am not looking for it to be really loud or anything, just better sound quality is what I'm after and being able to play CDs/Ipod. Also would prefer to keep the stalk controls working is possible but is not essential. (I know which adaptors to get for that)

Whats the difference in this case?

Thanks

Sam

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
I will probably be corrected - but it's to do with the power to the speakers, as you don't get as much from the HU as you would from the amp.

So you will basically get a better sound from amping them as oposed to straight from the HU.

1.2 Clio
Amping speakers makes quite a big differnece. It depends greatly on the efficieny of the speaker of course.
But typically amping components, increases fidelity due to the HU not having to do all the work (less chance of clipping), along with being louder due to providing 30-150WRMS, unlike most HU's. As said above really.^

Black Gold Trophy
I've got mine amped if you want to check it out at the next meet, my head unit has about 30-40W rms power per channel (although its rated at 60W MAX)... and my amp puts out 80W rms, you will be able to put more power out of the amp before the sound begins to distort....therefore you will have the better sound quality you are after. I've heard sound deadening can make a huge improvement to the sound quality, but I dont know if I can really be bothered!

vaux cavalier
Read This Thread, Post 1, Item 6 ....

Fitting an uprated head unit will help, but voltage drop within the unit will still be an issue.....

A good quality head unit should supply around 18w rms per channel without clipping, to avoid clipping you should never push a head unit past approx 80% volume unless it has been scoped & you know its clipping point.....

Higher volumes & lower frequencies require greater speaker cone excursion, greater excursion requires higher input power....

Ford Focus ST2
i have the factory HU and i changed all my speakers to infinity, and added a 4 ways amp, sound is really good!

Then i added the ipod link and its really good!

Clio 1.2 16V Dynamique 02
Thanks for all your answers, I'm checking out that link as well for all the basics. Always good to have knowledgeable people guiding you before buying! I'll probably end up buying an amp because of the way it delivers power and takes of the stress from the head unit.

Thanks,

Sam