ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difference between Williams and 16 v

Hello everyone. As the title says really. Basically i want to get a Williams and i thought i found the perfect one until today i found out it was a clio 16v. It looks the same as a Williams bein blue and with the bonnet vent but is there much difference between the two?

Any help here is appreciated!

james

The williams has better handling, different interior/clocks/etc, gold 15" alloys, 2L engine (more bhp/torque), wider track erm..... a williams 1 will have the individually numbered plate too..... (Mines number 270.... and for sale by the way ;) )

williams - bigger engine, better handling setup as wider track and its more exclusive, only came in blue with gold alloys.

thats the main stuff. im sure others will fill in the rest

Thanks for the good welcome guys. Ill have a look at that not sure whether to buy it now! Roamer - will have a look in for sale section

thanks

Vee dub

Valvers are quality!!!!! :D

Where are the rest of the valver lads to help out!?! lol ;)
[Edited by TomS on 21 October 2004 at 8:51pm]

Vee dub

Quote: Originally posted by cat171 on 21 October 2004

i agree that a valver is quality (i have one) however they are always overshadowed by the williams.
I wouldnt neccessarily agree with that, overshadowed part.

They are both great cars and the williams more well known but they both stand as great clios in their own stead.

I deffo wouldnt swap my valver for one - although i love the williams and always will!! hopefully get both one day.

TomS

[Edited by TomS on 22 October 2004 at 9:59am]

300bhp MR2 Turbo

The williams only came in Valver blue ;)

It was limited edition as a homoglation (sp) for the Renault rally (was it rally?)

Based on same chassis etc the Williams has wide front track and basically more poke. Posher Williams velour seats, blue dials, blue seat belts, blue carpets. Contrary to popular belief it is just a 1764cc engine with a diesel crank opened out to 1998cc. With a few mods all done in-house and totally not involving Williams tuners in any way.

Standard vs standard a Williams is prob worth at least twice of a valver of the same age!

clio 16v

i have a blue valver, and lots of people mistake it for a williams, it doesnt have gold wheels, but just goes to show, how little the general public knows.......

Quote: Originally posted by funkimic on 21 October 2004

williams - bigger engine, better handling setup as wider track and its more exclusive, only came in blue with gold alloys.

didnt they make more williams than valvers!

I personally dont reckon theres much difference except the williams turns more heads because of what people know (or more often, dont know!) about them. I would like to own one - but i would never swap my valver for one though!

Vee dub

Quote: Originally posted by FelixWood on 22 October 2004

Quote: Originally posted by funkimic on 21 October 2004

didnt they make more williams than valvers!

I personally dont reckon theres much difference except the williams turns more heads because of what people know (or more often, dont know!) about them. I would like to own one - but i would never swap my valver for one though!
I do see alot more Williams than valvers around my area - :D

clio 16v

and no1 says that you shoudl keep a valver standard, where as a lot of people on her say that a williams shoudl be kept standard!

williams and trophy

lol....its usually those that have just bought the williams that say they shud be kept standard...............i used to be one of those ppl..........lol

personally i think the valver and williams look mint externally as standard.....n kits just spoil em.........but under the bonnet.....well ........anything goes innit lol...the faster the better.....of which a 2.0 is ............

BMW 320d Sport

If you can afford it get a Williams rather than a valver. Thats basically it. Ive got a valver myself. I love it, but if Id have had the money at the time I bought it, to get a Willy, I definitely would have. The fact is I didnt and Ive spent so much on my valver now that it wouldnt make any sense to get a Willy instead.

williams and trophy

btw....mite i add......nicks kit is the odd exception.........that n the maxi kit(dependant on final finish) do look the nuts on a valver

Vee dub

I could have got a mint williams for the money i paid for my 16v . but the valver i bought was SOO mint i wouldnt have chose anything else.

I agree that wiliams and valvers look quality standard.

TomS

yeah, Nicks is a tasty looking motor. I could never kit the Willy, even though it would look the nuts with the proper rally style arches and kit... like 9 lives says, only thing to touch is the engine, as with the right mods you can turn em into a complete monster... see above 1/4 mile time! lol

Quote: Originally posted by TomS on 22 October 2004

Quote: Originally posted by cat171 on 21 October 2004

i agree that a valver is quality (i have one) however they are always overshadowed by the williams.

I wouldnt neccessarily agree with that, overshadowed part.

They are both great cars and the williams more well known but they both stand as great clios in their own stead.

I deffo wouldnt swap my valver for one - although i love the williams and always will!! hopefully get both one day.

TomS
[Edited by TomS on 22 October 2004 at 9:59am]
I do kind of agree with you mate, its just that most people on here, seem to bang on about how legendary one is & nothing can touch it etc.
I guess it just depends on who has read the thread at the time, as to what response you get from people.
One thing i will say is that i wouldnt sell my 16v for a willaims !
(definitly not now, but i may own one one day)

I would love a williams - great cars, but due to insurance and the cost of buying a decent one i got a valver.

Not as quick or as good on the twisty stuff but my opinion is for people on a budget you cant go wrong with a valver....

excellent value for the pennies!

Vee dub

CAT171 - true mate, the williams is regarded as that "bit more special" which is fair enough really. Its a nice feeling knowing you wouldnt swap it and being really hapy with ya car! :D

Tom

williams and trophy

^^^^^^^^^^^ agreed.......for trhe money of both of em really.....theres not a rite lot to touch em bang for buck

I think due to the image the willy has, everyone wants one and to some extent the valvers are forgotten - i mean no-one is really too fused when one gets crashed/broken/scrapped are they? I can see a day when you can still buy a williams but you wont be able to buy a valver for love nor money...

Theres no denying the willy is mechanically better but a better car? I dont know. IMO its a bit like the 172/182/Cup battle - obviously the 182 is the better to drive but it does lack something in my mind...originality maybe. Its probably personal preference but theres something about owning a car that started it all.

*runs for cover from the willy brigade* ;)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Just seen this topic as i was in a meeting.

Bloody hell you williams drivers hey! Make the valver sound like its dirt!

TBH mate other than the low down torque you aint gunna notice alot between the two in normal driving conditions. Only on the track or when really pushing them!

As for the interiors being different? Its just their a different colour mate.

The Jinx

I agree mate. The Willy owes a great deal to the valver. It certainly came from good stock.

I prolly wont bother getting a Willy. Id rather convert mine TBH and not have to own cliched blue car with gold wheels <zips up flame retardant suit!>

The Jinx

Quote: the willy seats hold the driver better IMO of course

Not as well as the phase 1 seats.

I think we should have a devoted car wars board where we can all take out our frustrations by dissing each others cars.

[Edited by mike8579 on 10/22/2004 1:59:27 PM]

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 22 October 2004

I think the interiors are different, the willy seats hold the driver better IMO of course.
Are you sure mate? The williams seats i sat in were exactly the same as my valver ones only grey? Oh and im on about phase 2s.