ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Differences between mk2 172 and 182

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

Dont shoot me down as I am new to this Clio lark. Ive had a good search but cant find the answer.

Is a 182 worth the roughly £1500 premium over a 172?

Can a 172 be converted to 182 spec?

Thanks in advance.

IMO its worth having the 182 over the 172 (ive owned both)

it cant be changed to 182 spec for sensible money so i wouldnt bother.

differences are exhaust system, wheels, tyres (182 runs 205s instead of 195s) suspension, gear ratios, headlamps have grey instead of black surrounds, seatbelts are silver not black, interior dash trims are satin silver rather than patterned silver, seats have silver lining behind the perforations in the alcantara rather than charcoal colour, all 182s have cruise, esp and traction whereas some 172s dont (maily pre53 platers) erm all i can remember at the mo but bound to be more ive forgotten.

Suzuki SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 20 August 2005

IMO its worth having the 182 over the 172 (ive owned both)

it cant be changed to 182 spec for sensible money so i wouldnt bother.

differences are exhaust system, wheels, tyres (182 runs 205s instead of 195s) suspension, gear ratios, headlamps have grey instead of black surrounds, seatbelts are silver not black, interior dash trims are satin silver rather than patterned silver, seats have silver lining behind the perforations in the alcantara rather than charcoal colour, all 182s have cruise, esp and traction whereas some 172s dont (maily pre53 platers) erm all i can remember at the mo but bound to be more ive forgotten.
and these make the 182 better than the 172 because ?!!?????!!!

Topic: Differences between mk2 172 and 182???

answering his question. I i didnt say those were the differences that made it a better car/drive they are merely a list of changes.

tiTTy & SV650

some UK supllied mk2 172s had a 6 disc changer as standard under the passenger seat, the 182 doesnt have this luxury. :(

also 182s dont have a spare wheel because the exhausts run straight through where itd go. So you get a couple of cans of tyre sealant as with a lot of new cars.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by len_beach on 20 August 2005

Dont shoot me down as I am new to this Clio lark. Ive had a good search but cant find the answer.
welcome by the way, sad that in your first post you feel the need to tell people not to shoot you down in flames but I can see why you had to.

good luck getting the car u want :D

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 21 August 2005

welcome by the way, sad that in your first post you feel the need to tell people not to shoot you down in flames but I can see why you had to.

This was not meant to signify that I thought this forum would get arsey. Its just that I am a member of quite a few other forums (Migweb, SeatCupra.net etc). As soon as a new member pops up with what appears to be a well covered topic, they are directed towards the search button. Not very helpful I know.

Id like to say thanks for all the quick responses my question.

I take it from peoples reactions that the electronic gizmos on the 182 dont make it a better car than the 172?

What does it take to get the engine up to 182 spec?

193 mk2

well as far as i can tell its mainly the exhaust manifold, on the 172s its not very good and quite restrictive. on the 182 they changed it for a much better 1,& on the cups & 182s the suspension setup is better, im not sure if they changed the gear ratios but someone up there said they did so they may well have!

tiTTy & SV650

the electric gizmos are pretty much the same on mk2 172 and 182, creature comforts - its quite nice to have them IMO.

Suzuki SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 21 August 2005

Topic: Differences between mk2 172 and 182???

answering his question. I i didnt say those were the differences that made it a better car/drive they are merely a list of changes.
sorry loony i was hammered :oops:

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

this might be because ive just drove fairly new ones but the 182 seems a bit flatter up to 4k compared to my 172. after that though the 182 springs into life. its like theyve sacrificed a bit before 4k to gain higher up. probably just me though so no handbags out!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

Quote: Originally posted by Clarkie172 on 21 August 2005

get a 172 and make it a 192 for less than buying a 182 ;)
Elaborate on this 192 figure my friend. What is involved and how much?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

So 172-182:

Twin outlet exhaust that removes the spare wheel-A bit gay really.

Widened front and rear tracks-This effect can be achieved with new alloys with a different offset.

Revised front suspension/re-rated suspension/strengthened rear suspension-A decent spring/damper setup can give the same if not better performance?

Wider, new generation tyres-New alloys again?

24mm anti-roll bar-This sounds like a good off the shelf mod. Any info?

3y exhaust manifold-Again, another good off the shelf mod.

So if I was realistically looking for a circa 200bhp 172 with a 30-40mm drop on 16/17s without destroying the handling, what would I need?

Slightly off topic, I would just like to say how impressed I am with the nature of this forum. Members are forthcoming with info and specs. I have not been shot down as I put it earlier for covering old ground and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge in here.

Top marks.

Suzuki SV650

Quote: Originally posted by len_beach on 22 August 2005

So 172-182:

Twin outlet exhaust that removes the spare wheel-A bit gay really. I think it looks cool, but then again it depends if ur a bit gay or not lol...

Widened front and rear tracks-This effect can be achieved with new alloys with a different offset. Aye I think so? Ive got 182 wheels on my 172.. dont know much about this thou am no expert on it.

Revised front suspension/re-rated suspension/strengthened rear suspension-A decent spring/damper setup can give the same if not better performance? Eibach springs dont lower the car by much and are apparently really good. Or you could get coilovers!

Wider, new generation tyres-New alloys again? The profiles on the new 182s are 205/45/16 unlike 195/45/16 on the 172, so an extra 10mm of tread! The Michelin PE2s were also developed specifically for the 182 with Cup packs/182 Cup/Trophy. Stiffer sidewall, they grip well too, I have em :O)

24mm anti-roll bar-This sounds like a good off the shelf mod. Any info? f**k knows.

3y exhaust manifold-Again, another good off the shelf mod. 182 manifold is better than the 172 one, but you can still fit the 182 manifold onto the 172. Think the 182 manifold is a 4-2-1 and the 172 manifold is just 4-1...

So if I was realistically looking for a circa 200bhp 172 with a 30-40mm drop on 16/17s without destroying the handling, what would I need? Ind.kit, exhaust, 182 manifold, inlet work, remap, not sure what else. Cams at a last guess, or throttle bodies :cool:.. Coilovers or eibach springs for the suspension.

Slightly off topic, I would just like to say how impressed I am with the nature of this forum. Members are forthcoming with info and specs. I have not been shot down as I put it earlier for covering old ground and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge in here. Were all just really sad and have nothing better to do with our lives, but thanks :O)

Top marks.

Quote: Originally posted by StevieP on 22 August 2005

So 172-182:

Twin outlet exhaust that removes the spare wheel-A bit gay really. I think it looks cool, but then again it depends if ur a bit gay or not lol...

Widened front and rear tracks-This effect can be achieved with new alloys with a different offset. Aye I think so? Ive got 182 wheels on my 172.. dont know much about this thou am no expert on it.

The 182s track is widened by the suspension NOT the wheels, the 182 wheels are actually a higher offset (ie spacer further in) than 172 wheels. If you want to widen the track on a 172 fit cup alloys, fitting 182 wheels to a 172 will actually make the track narrower.

Revised front suspension/re-rated suspension/strengthened rear suspension-A decent spring/damper setup can give the same if not better performance? Eibach springs dont lower the car by much and are apparently really good. Or you could get coilovers!

Id personally opt for a set of H&R coilovers if you are looking to improve the 172.

Wider, new generation tyres-New alloys again? The profiles on the new 182s are 205/45/16 unlike 195/45/16 on the 172, so an extra 10mm of tread! The Michelin PE2s were also developed specifically for the 182 with Cup packs/182 Cup/Trophy. Stiffer sidewall, they grip well too, I have em :O)

24mm anti-roll bar-This sounds like a good off the shelf mod. Any info? f**k knows.

I would say youd probably need the 182 rollbar and mounting rubbers/brackets to upgrade to this but without comparing the two on Renaults parts disc its hard to say.

3y exhaust manifold-Again, another good off the shelf mod. 182 manifold is better than the 172 one, but you can still fit the 182 manifold onto the 172. Think the 182 manifold is a 4-2-1 and the 172 manifold is just 4-1...

yup but its a subframe/engine out job and IIRC about 6 hours to fit so not cheap once youve added the labour !

So if I was realistically looking for a circa 200bhp 172 with a 30-40mm drop on 16/17s without destroying the handling, what would I need? Ind.kit, exhaust, 182 manifold, inlet work, remap, not sure what else. Cams at a last guess, or throttle bodies :cool:.. Coilovers or eibach springs for the suspension.

Slightly off topic, I would just like to say how impressed I am with the nature of this forum. Members are forthcoming with info and specs. I have not been shot down as I put it earlier for covering old ground and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge in here. Were all just really sad and have nothing better to do with our lives, but thanks :O)

Top marks.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

Thats perfect Tom. Many thanks.

cupking: I had thought about a Cup but I dont think I could do without my luxuries (Leather, Air Con, ABS:eek:). I dont think I could justify their loss either as Im not really looking for an all out track car, more a comfortable car capable of teaching chavs a few lessons;)

Loony/StevieP: That list should give me something to research now. Many thanks.

I reckon with about 1.5k spent I could have the 172 pretty much where I want it.

TBH Len despite what some cup owners will tell you, the difference between a 182/172/cup performance-wise is so tiny the deciding factor is the driver ability so i wouldnt worry.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Im gonna get a slap for this, but the changes on the 182 have had more development time and they but a bit more thought into them.

id say the 182 is a better car because of this, they didnt just slap wider wheels on it and throw everything out. Its much less of a comprimise.

MKIII 138

the 172 is built better than the 182 with more expensive parts that they took out for money saving or they just ran out and used some 1.2 trim.

imo the seats are worse, the carbon finish isnt as good, the handbreak doesnt have the metal bit, and in general i think the 182 was just made to boost flagging sales until the new model arrives.

however its faster and handles better. but the exhaust look silly and there is no spare wheel. in fact you can make your 1110 172 1090 like the 182 by removing the spare wheel and kit i weighed it at approx 20kgs.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by meggerman on 22 August 2005

the 172 is built better than the 182 with more expensive parts that they took out for money saving or they just ran out and used some 1.2 trim.

Dont agree trim wise its improved, the door plastics are far better ive never had any trim problems. Mechanically id say nothings changed you either get a good one or a bad one. Once warranty has replaced everything, your laughing!

imo the seats are worse, the carbon finish isnt as good, the handbreak doesnt have the metal bit, and in general i think the 182 was just made to boost flagging sales until the new model arrives.

What? theres no carbon finish? and the handbrake does have the metal bit! This boost sales stuff is spot but the way people make it sound is like its some bargian basement clear out. The clio has only just now reached the end of its cycle. The 182 was launched a year ago so its hardly a clearance item. You could refer to the 172mk2 or any new edition as a sales booster. Alot of development money was spent on new parts.

however its faster and handles better. but the exhaust look silly and there is no spare wheel. in fact you can make your 1110 172 1090 like the 182 by removing the spare wheel and kit i weighed it at approx 20kgs.

Have to agree there, the std exhausts look rubbish.

Weeman sucks ****

I found quite a difference in mine and the 182 cup when I did Oulton Park. I took my mates 182 cup out then drove the Trophy which felt different to that.

My 172 cup does feel rawer/rougher round the edges (which I dont mind at all) and the 182 a bit more stable although not many of them have high miles on them enough to be run in like mine so will probably feel even better when they get to 40,000 miles. Same goes with the trophy which actually felt like a bigger car and a bit more stable and safer. Quite odd how 3 variants can feel quite different.

Suzuki SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 22 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by StevieP on 22 August 2005

The 182s track is widened by the suspension NOT the wheels, the 182 wheels are actually a higher offset (ie spacer further in) than 172 wheels. If you want to widen the track on a 172 fit cup alloys, fitting 182 wheels to a 172 will actually make the track narrower.

so by putting 182 cup wheels on my 172 ive made my track narrower?.... Balls... Should it be noticable?

will be a few MM (cant remember how many think its 3MM 182 wheels are definately ET45 and IIRC 172 rims are ET42) narrower how it will feel on the road becuase of this i couldnt say.

If you want the wheels fit them and get some 3 or 5mm spacers to compensate.