ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Different air induction setups tested-pics and videos included

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
After years of reading various opinions on wether an IK is worth doing I finally got the chance of testing 2 setups on 2 cars
1911405_209051299292817_1138753086_o_zps821a54aa.gif

specs of the above car:

november 2004 clio 182
engine was changed one year ago with a new one and the current unit has abou 6k
std suspension
custom 63mm cat back exhaust
that awful green open cone air filter :D

6j steel rims with 185/55 R15 winter tyres

1924708_209051312626149_279538890_o_zpse40a0090.gif

early 2005 clio 182 with cup packs
original engine with 78k on the clock
milltek exhaust plus decat
rs tuner remap
BMC CDA air intake
k-tec engine mounts plus powerflex dogbone
gaz coilies and k-tec top mounts
camber bolts with 1,5 neg on the front

6,5j steel rims with 195/50 R15 winter tyres

Both cars were tested on the same day on the same dyno, the blue clio came up 2bhp more at the top end with a more linear power curve (due to the remap)
This is a video showing the cars on the road, with the blue clio having a slight edge (ignore the first run when I anticipated the third signal)

Then we both decided to do the same IK setup, something like the k-tec one, but with a combination of silicone and alloy instead of full silicone ended with a Ramair 70mm filter at the end.
We decided to add the new setup to the silver clio and then repeat the test. Here's how it looks:

1795411_209789312552349_769877182_o_zpsae4cd770.gif

We went for another drive to see if it gained something else beside the noise (which is mental!)

So we were basically neck in neck now which proves that this setup is better than an open cone near the engine like it used to be.
I will now make the same mod to the other car and see if it will gain anything over the BMC.
I'll probably look for my old std airbox and test that also at some point.
As a preliminary conclusion:
DO NOT run a open cone filter positioned like the one above ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
  RB Clio 182
It probably didnt help the silver one with how dirty the green filter was, as well as the positioning of it.

The blue one looks a lot quicker in the 1st vid.

I have the ktec style induction kit which i think is great tbh.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
the green filter looked dirty but it was actually recently cleaned and oiled the proper way. I guess that after a while they loose their fresh look

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
update:

the silver 182 went on the dyno today and it pulled out 6 bhp more vs the old Green intake setup:

The blue car also received the same intake couple of days ago. Now we're gonna repeat the road test to see if I also gained over my old (BMC CDA) setup and then probably another dyno run

20140216_154625_zps93aa622b.jpg

edit:
and the old vs new dyno graph:
1957423_213144782216802_1770001850_n_zps1d223564.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
finally got out again and the results were a bit unexpected:
The BMC CDA setup is pretty good actually as I didn't gained any from fitting the diy kit beside noise.
Anyway will sell the BMC to get some profit. Still the diy k-tec style remains the best value/money/power gain kit over anthing I've seen so far.
I for sure recommend it!

Ph1
You'll get a better conclusion once you test the standard airbox to set as a bench mark figure. At present it could be a case of which kit is making the biggest losses rather than the best gains.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Imagine that green set up would be bad for heat soak.

I thought the general concensus was that most standard induction set ups result in loss of power..

Has anyone actually tested the 4 different senarios back to back?

Standard airbox - standard filter
Standard airbox - panel filter
Beside engine IK
K-tec style IK

I know there is a fast car test thread on best location but this doesnt compare it against the standard airbox.

My guess would be the standard airbox and panel filter as the best solution though

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
there were another runs with the bonnet closed, as the one printed. will test versus the standard airbox as soon as I'll get my hands on my old one (it's at my folks 150miles away)
This test was made just out of curiosity and because we had 3 different setups to play with.
Honestly I'm expecting for the std airbox to get just about the same results as the k-tec setup but just for the extra noise I'd pay 50 quid and make myself something like you see above.
If it looks cooler and sounds better why not? Just imo of course

Clio 182
Be very interesting to see this test done again with the standard airbox...

ive been ren trying to figure out the best route to go down.

Clio 182
Cheers Dr Jekyll I hadn't actually seen that. A good read. I've got a 182 though and have read that the air box isn't as good as the ph1 or v6?

Cheers Dr Jekyll I hadn't actually seen that. A good read. I've got a 182 though and have read that the air box isn't as good as the ph1 or v6?

What most tend to do is go for a ph1 or v6 box with upgraded filter, best of all worlds i think. shame though because its pushing the price up for people with ph1's who want to go back to an original airbox :(

Lancia Integrale
I'm looking into how the length of the intake pipe effects running/performance- I have no battery and was planning on putting a 'v6' airbox straight off the throttle body- has anyone had experience in this set up?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm having problems with my v6 set up off the throttle body with it rubbing on the coolant pipe/bottles- anyone else had a problem with this?
You need to shorten the coolant pipe slightly and I also slotted the header tank mounting bolt holes to move it further across. Works! I'll send you a pic of that when I send the battery relocation stuff.