ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Different exhaust smoke

Does different colour smoke mean different things? White/black/blue? Puffs out white smoke when i start it in the morning and puffs out black/blue smoke between high rev gear changes? piston rings?

Im not too sure tbh. Gets driven hard most places, but well looked after(warmed up and down properly). Wether its worth getting it looked at, or just wait for the engine to pop and get a newer, bigger one?

Cheers.

Yup different colours mean different things, but it can get confusing when the diagnosis isnt so simple.

White smoke in th morning is just condensation in teh exhaust and water is a by-product of combustion and a catalyst makes it worse for steam.

On highr rpm loads and downshifts or sudden acceleration you always get a puff os smoke out of valvers. Its natural and is jsut acceleration enrichment fueling.

If your rings were gone you would have a grey/blue haze comming out he exhaust and it wouldnt be very obvious when driving.

Ok, so if the rings have gone or on their way, would the grey/blue smoke be a more constant thing like even when poodling around? There seems to be no smoke, only when ragging or cold.

Im probably going to sell/trade in the cup. Need a bigger car, a cruiser. Preferably with a big 6 cylinder engine and RWD. I want to make a track/fun car out of the Valver, cant justify owning them both.

Yes, if the rings are going (unlikely on well looked after, even ragged cars) then you can just stand behind it and get some one to blip the throttle.....small hazy puffs will come out.

Quote: Originally posted by Dust on 10 May 2004

Im probably going to sell/trade in the cup. Need a bigger car, a cruiser. Preferably with a big 6 cylinder engine and RWD. I want to make a track/fun car out of the Valver, cant justify owning them both.
Dude you aint that old yet !!!