ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diffraction

I know a lot of people have been using higher f stop numbers f11-F22 to 'maximise' depth of field but at wider angles its really unnecessary and massivly reduces sharpness.

Have a play with the aperture on this test programm and see which apertures turn the optically superb canon 24-70 2.8 II into a mushy 'toy' lens!

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon-ef-24-70mm-f-2-8l-ii-usm/3

NB the same will happen with any lens once severe diffraction kicks in!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The only time I really try to use higher f numbers is when I need a longer exposure and don't have access to a filter.
Will have a proper read of that later on though when I'm on the laptop.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
It is a slight problem but it isn’t worth compromising a longer exposure (if thats the effect you’re going for) just for added sharpness IMO. But if it can be avoided then it would certainly be noteworthy to think twice.

People need to know about what this is frankly.

So many times I read on here, 'I just use the smallest aperture, as that's the sharpest' etc...or similar.