ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What new Lens?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Ok so I've got a Canon EF 70-200 F/2.8 L USM and a Canon EF 35-350 F/3.5-4.6 L USM. Both are incredibly and I've taken sensational shots with both.

However aside from the stock 18-55 lens the camera came with I've got nothing else. Was thinking of a nice wide angle or a macro?

£200 or so to spend

Chris? Rich? :)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Hmmm choices choices... I don't really want a prime lens either.... I've been uimming and arring about changing to a 30D or a 400D lately too, the former having a slightly larger sensor...

ARRGGHHH! lol.

I've basically got what you've got (kit lens, 70-200 2.8 and a 70-300) but two others as well, and both are excellent. One is the 50mm f1.8, cheap as you like (£80 or so) but amazingly sharp, I use it more than any other lens.

The other one is my Sigma 10-20, it's incredible, about £300 though. I only bought it for New York and expected to sell it when I returned, but I've found so many uses for it.

A few pics from it have already made my money back for the lens and then some, this being the best of the bunch...

http://www.chrisharrison.smugmug.com/photos/131734640-L.jpg

Great for messing around with static car shots as well, I hope Tom doesn't mind me posting this...

http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/photos/150097826-L.jpg

A good standard lens is top of my list next (probably Christmas), the Sigma 20-40mm 2.8 at £250 or so looks tempting.

RIP Dan
Im really tempted to get that sigma 10-20 for my EOS.

£300 is a bit too much for me though.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I've basically got what you've got (kit lens, 70-200 2.8 and a 70-300) but two others as well, and both are excellent. One is the 50mm f1.8, cheap as you like (£80 or so) but amazingly sharp, I use it more than any other lens.

The other one is my Sigma 10-20, it's incredible, about £300 though. I only bought it for New York and expected to sell it when I returned, but I've found so many uses for it.

A few pics from it have already made my money back for the lens and then some, this being the best of the bunch...

http://www.chrisharrison.smugmug.com/photos/131734640-L.jpg

Great for messing around with static car shots as well, I hope Tom doesn't mind me posting this...

http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/photos/150097826-L.jpg

A good standard lens is top of my list next (probably Christmas), the Sigma 20-40mm 2.8 at £250 or so looks tempting.
i bloody love that NY shot, a lot!

I quite fancy the 50mm f1.8

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

I have a 50mm F1.8

Best lense i ever got !! Just a whole new experience considering im still new to this stuff :)

dk

911 GTS Cab

I have a 50mm F1.8

Best lense i ever got !! Just a whole new experience considering im still new to this stuff :)
wheres the best place to get it, might be interested in getting it for my holiday on saturday if tis the right price.

Need to try and sort out a tripod i can tale on holiday with me too, they all seem too big and bulky, need something small that can reach normal height as I really want to try some night shots and disney would be great for them!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
dk: i got mine from Amazon suprisingly!

Well its from one of the suppliers on there, camera king.

Arrived very quickly and great service. good price as well.

CLICK ME

dk

911 GTS Cab
dk: i got mine from Amazon suprisingly!

Well its from one of the suppliers on there, camera king.

Arrived very quickly and great service. good price as well.

CLICK ME
thanks, i am so tempted but i just can't justify the money at the moment, might see if i can get it while in the US for a good price.

Need to try and sort out a tripod i can tale on holiday with me too, they all seem too big and bulky, need something small that can reach normal height as I really want to try some night shots and disney would be great for them!

I did New York 100% handheld, carrying a tripod around anywhere would be my worst nightmare. Having said that I did take a Gorillapod SLR to Venice with me last month and it was superb (and essential), worked a treat and got me shooting in places I could never have used a tripod easily. Fit in my pocket (just) and was quite a talking point as well! Shots like this took seconds to set-up, compose and shoot, and then I was on my way again, I won't travel without it now. Sure it's only a foot tall, but it attaches to anything so that is never a problem.

The Bridge shot you like is currently going onto a huge canvas for someone, can't wait to see how it turns out, collect it Friday for them. I have a sharper version which I prefer but it has less traffic trails, everyone seems to prefer that one I posted above though.

dk

911 GTS Cab
what lens was that taken with mate, like the motion blur of the boats moving, looks cool.

have thought at the gorillapods before, wasn't sure whether it was a gimmick or not.

what lens was that taken with mate, like the motion blur of the boats moving, looks cool.

have thought at the gorillapods before, wasn't sure whether it was a gimmick or not.

The Olympus E-400 I won last month, 15 second exposure on the Gorillapod with just the standard 14-42mm kit lens that came with the camera. Takes a nice picture though, I quite like this one as well. Selling the camera now, not much use to me as I have all Nikon kit.

Gorillapod certainly isn't a gimmick as long as you get one sturdy enough for your kit, the SLR-Zoom version hasn't failed me yet but the others (even the SLR) are too weak for DSLRs. Hundreds more shots I could have taken in NYC now though, need to go back with one!

dk

911 GTS Cab
cool, that pic is amazing, i love your pics, i need to get some night shots in my portfolio, i just haven't really managed any yet, never have the time to set the shot up and wait, i'm always taking lots of very quick shots.

I think one of thos gorillapods is essential from what you are saying.

I was thinking about the SLR one but from what you have just said the zoom one sounds like the right one.

I am going to take the plunge and go for it.

Will I be able to get any good shots with the kit lens as i haven't got anything really other than a 28-80 f3.5-5 and the 70-200 f4 L.

dk

911 GTS Cab
bought one, hope it arrives for friday so i can take it with me, its not that big is it?

Just measured and it's approx 9" by 2", pretty small really.

I hope you like it, it's the sort of thing you either "get" and really love, or just simply hate. I've met a few haters and I always suggest just embracing it, if you can see a shot then there will always be a spot where the Gorillapod can be setup/attached in next to no time. 80% of the time I just have it resting on walls etc, but I've had it wrapped around thin metal posts hanging off of motorway bridges (with the camera firmly attached to my body as well!) and all sorts and it hasn't let me down.

I'm like you in that I never spend any time setting up shots, a minute is my absolute limit and I don't think I've ever stood around waiting for a particular moment, that's why a tripod doesn't appeal to me, I just don't work in that way.

Kit lens will be more than fine, if I ever need inspiration or think that my equipment won't be up to the job I just go on Flickr and see what people are up to with it, in your case...http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=night&w=52399875@N00&m=pool, that always pushes me on as clearly those with serious talent can do pretty much anything with relatively basic equipment, I love this that I found on there. The main thing with night shots is to leave the camera on its lowest ISO setting, I then just play around with shutter speeds, 8-10 seconds is usually a good starting point in bright cities.

dk

911 GTS Cab
wow, they are amazing, i presume by lowest iso setting you mean something like 100? i've never messed with the ISO if i'm being honest.

The gorillapod will come with the right fitting to attach the 350d won't it, its jsut the page said it doesn't come with something?

Yep ISO100 is what you will need, essential for long exposures to reduce noise. I rarely play with it either, but it's always worth checking it's still on the lowest setting!

The 350D will screw straight onto the GP no problem, it does also accept normal tripod heads which is why that statement is there, I just use what is provided though, nothing else.

dk

911 GTS Cab
great, sounds like i am all set then, i just hope i don't come back with my tail between my legs and no half decent shots, i'd really like ti get some good ones of disney by night!

D

dick

if you photographing the disney characters moving at night tho, youll need to mess with your ISO probably!