ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dilemma - 182 or New Mk3 RS Clio

Hi,

I have a bit of a dilemma. After winning a car 17 months ago I have deserted the Clio brand and been driving a Corsa Exclusiv - not a bad car especially when you consider it didn't cost me anything but it isnt really a patch on the two Clio's I owned previously, even if it does have leather and a few other toys!

When I owned my previous Clio's I was always hoping to move up to a 172/182. I am now seriously considering changing my car this year and am keen to return back to a Clio. With age on my side I can now comfortably insure a group 16 car without getting kittery near insurance renewal time.

However, do I go for a late 05 plate or even last of the current shape 55 plate's and get a 182 for about 11k (give or take) or do I wait a few months for the Mk3 (192/202?! depending on who you listen to). I test drove a 53 plate 172 and really enjoyed it, didnt buy though as the stealer was too insulting with their p/ex valuation and wasnt willing to do a deal.

I tend to keep a car for a maximum of 2 years before selling it, I get quite easily bored!! What sort of hit would I realistically take on a 182 in terms of depreciation?

As a side issue what sort of running costs can I expect - I do about 15000 miles a year and my journey to work is a combination of cross country a roads followed by some dual carriageway - a 50 mile a day round trip.

Thanks in advance guys - hopefully you can steer me back in the right direction!! ;)

I've heard that the new mk3 RS will be about 17k? (how true that is, un sure?). Would it be worth spending 17k to only have it 2 years?

You'd get a good deal on a 182 or/maybe Trophy once the mk3 RS comes out.

182 for me mate, I've just recently bought mine and didn't even consider waiting for the MK3 as there are not many things I like about it. I think you'll notice a big leap in owning a 172/182 compared to a standard clio as I came from 1.2 and I don't just mean in terms of performance.

I think other nice hatches to consider are Fiesta ST or Audi S3 although not for 11k :p

jay said:
I've heard that the new mk3 RS will be about 17k? (how true that is, un sure?). Would it be worth spending 17k to only have it 2 years?

That's if there are any left by then. :)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
one thing worth thinking about is, if the MK3 is going to be around 17K, a MK2 V6 can be had for that with change :)

106 GTi
Without knowing or driving the MK3 its hard to know. I guess all you can do is wait and see, and if not try and find a good late model 182?

R20GRC said:
one thing worth thinking about is, if the MK3 is going to be around 17K, a MK2 V6 can be had for that with change :)

Ive also had similar thoughts but dont think my pockets are quite deep enough to run a V6 as my daily commuter car - might be wrong! But it'd sure make the jounrey to work somewhat entertaining!! :)

jay said:

Knowing first hand Renault depreciation I dont think I can justify spending 17k on one.

In fact I dont think I could justify spending 17k on many cars that weren't german or had a guarantee that the resale value wouldnt plummet to peanuts after a couple of years of ownership!

Thanks for the comments so far guys. I'm not really a Ford fan to be honest, did briefly consider a Bread Van Type R but it was only a brief thought. I've been happy with previous Renaults though. Ive seen a 54 plate Racing Blue182 with both Cup packs (apparently) for £10595 at an Audi garage - seem a fair deal? Might have a look / test drive and see what sort of deal is available

''Ive seen a 54 plate Racing Blue182 with both Cup packs (apparently) for £10595 at an Audi garage''

should be about 9.5k tops ?

Ad

MK2 FRS
^^ Import?? Cup packs?? V. Cheap, thats less than book. to give you some idea, the insurance have paid 11k for my 2005 54 182.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
i was good in the bargaining department. was advertised as £11400. lol
but they had it on a 'day sale' and i got it down more.
but it is also an import.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
maybe i should rite it off for a profit. ha

but yeah mate i reckon you should go for a 182.
think the RS mk3 may be dissapointing compared to the current RS models.

Tails said:

Try getting your hands on the liquid yellow its sweet looking!!!!!!

have yet to see one in my searches, or even seen one in the flesh yet either. plenty of blue's and blacks tho. a black one with both cup packs looks mint, though i've already had two black cars (inc the corsa) which I just dont give enough attention to keep them clean.

dannyboy172 said:
Spend a bit more cash mate and get a trophy, you can pick them up for 13k already, bargain! lol :)

missed out on an ex demo one that was up for £13.5k which i thought was fair for a dealer. though 5.5k miles in 3 months said to me it might have been a bit abused already