ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY Nitrous

Thought I’d update you all on my N2O project.

Several weeks ago, I was quite bored and whilst day-dreaming, decided to fit Nitrous to the Clio. The only problem was that I couldn’t afford it, so I started thinking about how to save money. I’ve fitted a HighPower kit before, so I know what the kit consists of, and more importantly, how it works. I started thinking of ways to cut costs by buying my own nylon tubing, getting my own bottles and valves, and then it dawned on me that I could actually get hold of all of the parts to build and fit my own kit. I’m lucky here in a number of aspects, one being that I’m fairly good at working on cars, and another that I have a friend who has a fully equipped workshop and contacts in the world of pneumatics.

Well, now I have all of the parts, including switches, wiring, bottles, valves, tubing, olive joints, and most importantly the solenoids. I have two different ones. The fuel one is a basic 12V DC axial solenoid, and the other is designed especially for high pressure and low temp. It is possible to modify a std solenoid to do this, but for peace of mind, and ease of fitting, I opted for one ready made for the job.

One of the key things I wanted, was a stealth kit that can be removed without leaving a trace of evidence behind. So far I have done this. The bottles, wiring, switches, tubing and solenoids have all been fitted without having made one hole!

I have the information I need to make sure that the fuel and nitrous are supplied in the correct proportion, and have used jets from some old carburetors that were lying around to meter this. These are fitted at the solenoid.

I’ve not got much left to do, just plumb in the fuel (inc. adjustable regulator), and run the nozzle into the inlet plenum. Then its time for testing. I’ll check everything on a rolling road to make sure there are no problems.

If all goes well, I’ll be looking to supply these kits on to others at a far more affordable cost than some kits are available. Admittedly the kits on the market are more cosmetically pleasing, and they will be suitable for further enhancements such as controllers, but this should be a high quality, budget alternative for those looking at Nitrous.

I’d just like to add that I don’t believe I am a world authority on this subject, nor do I make any claim that this kit is of better quality than any other on the market.

MC

What are you using for an injector? This is one thing that is critical to getting the best form a N2O setup.

Also good luck getting it to work, if you can sell the kits cheaper than the mainstream manufactorers itll be cool. Are the solenoids youre using safe for pulsed operation, if they are theres no reason you couldnt use them as part of a progressive setup.

Yep, weve thought long and hard about the nozzle. The nitrous is going to be injected into/along a shortish piece of copper pipe about 10mm in diameter. slightly further along the fuel will be sprayed in a fan shape into the flow of nitrous so that it will atomise. Hopefully this should work.

Im not positive whether the solenoids are safe to pulse, although the manufacturer that sells them also can supply a gismo to pulse the solenoids. Its quite expensive I think, but Ill look into it.

MC.

We really havent given a lot of thought to how much well charge for a kit. probably between £250 and £300. The kits can be fitted for you, not sure on labour yet, or youd be able to fit them yourself with instructions, but we would have to set them up. As we cant test on every car due to cost, wed have to set each one up on a set of rollers to start with to make sure they are operating correctly. Once we have tested a few of each particular car and know what jets to use, then we could sell them for home installation to run immediately, although like the experts we probably would recomend a RR setup.

Once weve finished on my car anyone with a 1.2 16v dynamique could have one supplied ready to run because wed know how to jet them.

Theres still alot to concider b4 contemplating selling anything.

MC

Having jets for N2O/Feul in the inlet tract disturbes the airflow, it can cost you upto 10bhp because of the detremental effect on the fow. The smaller you can make the jets the better, obviosly theres no perfect solution, but some are better than others.

BMW 320d Sport

Good work! So youre making nitrous kits, Im thinking of making bottle heater kits, but got to work out the costs first.

Simon,

Yep, I agree, and every kit will have to be made individually suited to that car. The benefit I have with the 1.2 16v Clio is the size of the air plenum. There is so much volume I can run a nozzle in without disturbing flow. With most other injected cars, a nozzle can sit in the conventional place, and it also depends if a customer would mind having the system on show. Im keeping mine hidden from the wife!! ;)

I have many ideas for nozzle design, Ill just have to try them all out.

Cheers.

CAN I SPOIL ALL YOUR FUN GUYS I PROBABLY SHOULDNT DO THIS BECAUSE THAT MEANS I WONT BE THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS IT IN TOTAL MY KIT COST ME £150 (PARTS) IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A LIST OF ALL THE PARTS NEEDED WHERE TO GET THEM FREE/CHEEP AND ALL THE INFO STEP BY STEP ON HOW TO PUT IN IN THE JUST REPLY

"I DO"

TO THIS POST AND I WILL SEND THE LINK OF THE SITE TO YOU ITS VERY DETAILED AND VERY VERY GOOD MY KITS THE BOMB AND ITS ALL THE BETTER BECAUSE IT COST f**k ALL TO MAKE.

CLIO_KING (JAMIE)

Clio King,

So youve built your own kit too, how did you get on, were there any snags? How did you get on with running it up and testing? Id be interested to have a chat. Weve found loadsa ways to save even more money. What psi did your fuel supply run at?

MC

i didnt really have any problems the site i used http://www.nitrous.infowww.nitrous.info is very well documented, im very happy with the kit at the mo. i set it up using a 25bhp (0.60mm) to start with which was very interesting i noticed a decent up in the car but, emmmm lets say it wasnt enough for me, so i then tryed the 0.80mm jet running aroung +44bhp but my m8 who put me onto the site had just bought for his kit a mirco drill set for making his own jets so i resized it to 0.85mm supposed to be around +50bhp, im quite happy with this one,

this is the best bit i think (because i thought of it myself) on the dash i have a key switch with 3 settings

0=off (for normal driving)

1=kick down ignition (micro switch on throttle)

2=straight boost button (only used when car is over 70mph)

this way you can choose how to use the system either gradual when you want it or by the flick of a switch.

i left my fuel pressure running at 45psi. i turned it up but didnt notice too much diff so to save waisting anymore fuel i turned it back.

hope this helps.

jamie.

So what size fuel jet did you use then? Have you been on the rollers to find out how well the kit is working on your car? How lean/rich are you running?

MC