ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY Video Camera Rail

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I wanted one of these to have a play with, cut didn't want to spend a fortune on one.

So with some inspiration from Greg's recent design, which i have yet to see up close but have been told about, i decided to make one after work today.

I went to screwfix and bought some drawer rails, smooth ones for just over £8 and the rest of the stuff i found lying around the garage.

It looks rough, but it works. I'm going to try and find some nicer wood for the camera part but until then it'll do!

I'd also have liked it a little longer, this is 550mm long and is the longest they had in stock. I'll keep an eye out for longer rails though.

5998851962_e7568803de_z.jpg

DIY_Rail_V1.0 by mjenic, on Flickr

5998309655_9eefef2af8_z.jpg

5998312231_668120dc03_z.jpg

5998863256_6d4c33c0e7_z.jpg

And a little test video, its boring but sort of shows it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
If its extra length your looking (insert joke here) is there not some sort of model train track you could use ?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Nice one Mike. I know what I'm doing this week :D

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Train tracks would be no good, since when you get 2kg of body lens and head it would press down too much on the track to move smoothly

Cupra
Haha. It's a bad hobby in at respect. There is always something that you want, and it normally costs ££££'s. The 5DIII is going to rape my pig bank if/ when it appears.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Group buy? ;)

What mount is that on top by the way?

It's the head from the bargain tripod ipodsandguns recommended, there's a thread just below about it :)

The 5DIII is going to rape my pig bank if/ when it appears.

Lol, same :eek:

Well depending on the features, I really want full frame though. My challenge for this summer is to use my camera stuff more and get better at it. It would be nice to be able to use my 24-70 as a true walkabout without having to grab my 10-20 when I need to.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
Train tracks would be no good, since when you get 2kg of body lens and head it would press down too much on the track to move smoothly

what.

OO/HO track can be stood on and it doesnt bend/break, its all very good quality. Good carriages had metal wheels

you can get it in 1m flexible sections too

Last edited:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I want to come and play too, bloody northerners have all the fun.

Did you buy a tripod for the head? You can just buy a jessops head for a tenner if not

I just ordered the one from giraffes thread mate, will just dismantle my old one.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
No, I never have :( well find/think of something I'm sure

There's a location at work I want to use, a long wide tunnel which enters a warehouse with loads of good artificial lighting but i doubt I'd get permission to use it at short notice, and if I was caught using it without permission I'd be in mega trouble lol

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Lol @ the above edit...sorry mate!

I'm after so many video goodies atm, steadicam and adjustable ND filters are at the top...

Oil Burner
Are you just pushing it along? The slide doesn't look 100% smooth, perhaps setup a pulley to do the motion instead?

Looks cool though, nice low cost solution.

That's really cool

I saw a guide where a guy had put a long elastic band from the mount and used that to pull the camera along - gives a nice soft start/finish to the movement and removes any hand jerkiness :)