ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY Wheel Painting Tips?

Swift Sport
I've bought some cheap alloys for trackdays that look a little sorry for themselves so I've decided to paint them, however I face a couple of problems. Firstly I don't really have anywhere to spray them so I'm more tempted to brush paint them, but realise they could look sh*t. Secondly the wheels have tyres fitted so masking could be a little awkward. I know I could take them somewhere to get painted but as the wheels are mega cheap I don't really want to spend too much money on them.

I could do with some advice really!

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I've bought some cheap alloys for trackdays that look a little sorry for themselves so I've decided to paint them, however I face a couple of problems. Firstly I don't really have anywhere to spray them so I'm more tempted to brush paint them, but realise they could look sh*t. Secondly the wheels have tyres fitted so masking could be a little awkward. I know I could take them somewhere to get painted but as the wheels are mega cheap I don't really want to spend too much money on them.

I could do with some advice really!

Don't brush paint them mate, you will regret it! have you got a garage? you could spray them in there or just spray them out side in your garden, see if a local tyre garage will remove the tyres for you, if not just let all the air out of them & put some playing cards between the rim & the tyre so you don't get paint on the tyres, that's what I did with the wheels ive sprayed.

Don't spray in your garage if you have any intention of keeping it free from dust, I spray little items in mine and it's filthy. I wouldn't even consider entering my garage in clean clothes.

work for BMW
I have done 2 sets of alloys myself before , both had tyres on which i just masked and newspapered no inconvience.
I used rattle cans in a shed and they came out really nicely ! I wet and dry sanded , used filler on scratches , primered , painted , laqured.

197ff, 172
As above, spend plenty time prepping them properly and give them a good wipe down with ipa or petrol. Even if you buy good quality spray paint for wheels you will need about 2x 400ml cans. Cheap paint might need more.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Track wheels?

Wire wool, a tin of brightly coloured Smoothrite, some masking tape, a brush, and about 30 minutes a wheel. Job done.

If they're for track, why would the ultimate finish matter even remotely? If you're using them properly they'll only get coated in almost unremovable brake dust deposits.

Clio Trophy
Good tip when spraying wheels with tyres fitted is to buy a deck of cards and slot them in between the tyre and wheel overlapping slightly each time, avoids overspray to the sidewall, the masking tape doesn't really stick well to rubber.

Swift Sport
Track wheels?

Wire wool, a tin of brightly coloured Smoothrite, some masking tape, a brush, and about 30 minutes a wheel. Job done.

If they're for track, why would the ultimate finish matter even remotely? If you're using them properly they'll only get coated in almost unremovable brake dust deposits.

Kinda agree with this tbf, they will only be used on track and anything looks better than the state they're in at the moment.

1.2 172 conversion
Another good tip for spraying wheels let air out of tyre get a old bed sheet put over wheel and cut a hole in it for the size of your alloy then poke it between tyre and rim...works a treat