ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

do i go for the gt

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
£9700 is the going rate Jason. The Gt does not handle well in standard form.

i seriously doubt that, ive never driven a GT but im assuming its a bit better than Dyn S models, i had a shot of a 1.6 16v Dyn S and it handled brilliant for a standard car, it was more planted than a standard 172!

Not a 320d
There was a lot of body roll when pushing it.

The brakes are also crap, i think ive warped my discs and cooked my fluid.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Why the f**k did you buy the car? Are you mental, like, proper head mental?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
There was a lot of body roll when pushing it.

body roll isnt a bad thing though as long as its controlled, my standard 100 used to have quite a bit of body roll but it was controlled and still had plenty grip.

people seem to think that because a car has bodyroll it doesnt handle.

Not a 320d
NO am i f**k. Took me a while to develop the levels of hatred i have for my car. It looks good, but mechanically its a right b*****d.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Don't listen to Cliotoby, he just doesn't seem to like clios. Everyone who's driven my car loves it. He seems to be the only one who doesn't like it!

The seats = amazing
The handling = fun :D
The engine = also fun, revvy VTEC style fun.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
LOL :p

oh and Toby, Guttless OVER? 5000k? sorry, must have a different car to me. From 4krpm onwards the power just gets more and more and more. 4k is where VVT kicks in (y0) and it just gets more powerful the higher I get in the revs.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
haha yes mate. But the power delivery is similar to a Vtec. seems to all come in at 4k and just build and build. Sounds like one too. Good revvy fun!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
7 or 8k i think? Cant remember. But in the last 1k it sounds awesome.

Black Clio GT
yeah alot more free at the top end compared to the older k4m but a little harder to be smooth with the 6 speed box, can get a jerky in traffic.
runs better on 97/99 ron fuel too!!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Don't listen to Cliotoby, he just doesn't seem to like clios. Everyone who's driven my car loves it. He seems to be the only one who doesn't like it!

The seats = amazing

I had a GT for two days and did 500 miles in it. Hated every second of it's underpowered, rolly-poly shenanigans. Was glad to have the 182 back. The Twingo RS is just so much better, and the same price. It baffles me.

To claim that it's even slightly quick is mental. It wouldn't see which way an RS Twingo went.

Not a 320d

The seats = amazing

Jason, how old are you?

LOL :p

oh and Toby, Guttless OVER? 5000k? sorry, must have a different car to me. From 4krpm onwards the power just gets more and more and more. 4k is where VVT kicks in (y0) and it just gets more powerful the higher I get in the revs.

The torque curve is horrid! it drops completely at 5k, the rest of the way is all revs, gets fairly boring. Atleast in a 172 or 182 you get a nice healthy lump of power at the top of the rev range that everyone seems to call the "5k kick".

haha yes mate. But the power delivery is similar to a Vtec. seems to all come in at 4k and just build and build. Sounds like one too. Good revvy fun!

Whaaaaat!!??

whats the rev limiter on them?

7 or 8k i think? Cant remember. But in the last 1k it sounds awesome.

Its 7, and maybe not even quite 7. The gearbox is dog s**t, just like the clutch.

Im with Christopher here, get a twingo instead, if you can stand the looks.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Yeah has the 197 box.

Seriously Toby there is something wrong with your car. Everyone who drives mine comments on the 4k kick. The power builds up smoothly from their (unless its cold, then its kangaroo city).

I found that the 1.2T had more of an uneven power delivery tbh. The engine is brilliant. It beats most other 1.6 hatches. I can take roundabouts quicker than my mates EP3 CTR. The seats are stupidly comfortable and yet supportive! They are the same as you get in the 197/200 if you don't opt for Recaros and EVERYONE compliments them.

I don't know what car you and christopher drove, but it must have been different. I've had a play with an RS twingo and yes of course it was faster, but it wasnt THAT much faster at all. I think you need to drive mine, then take yours back to Renault and slap them in the face. Obviously something isnt right if your map is giving you uneven power?! That's just a joke! And I don't thing Christopher can comment as A- he's used to a 182, any clio thats heavier/has a smaller engine is going to seem s**t to him and B- it wasn't one that had been run it. took a few thousand miles but mines on nearly 12k now and it runs smooth as feck. Nothing like you two describe!

Having driven quite a few cars, I think the Clio GT is probably the most fun you can have for the insurance costs.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah has the 197 box.

Seriously Toby there is something wrong with your car. Everyone who drives mine comments on the 4k kick. The power builds up smoothly from their (unless its cold, then its kangaroo city).

I found that the 1.2T had more of an uneven power delivery tbh. The engine is brilliant. It beats most other 1.6 hatches. I can take roundabouts quicker than my mates EP3 CTR. The seats are stupidly comfortable and yet supportive! They are the same as you get in the 197/200 if you don't opt for Recaros and EVERYONE compliments them.

I don't know what car you and christopher drove, but it must have been different. I've had a play with an RS twingo and yes of course it was faster, but it wasnt THAT much faster at all. I think you need to drive mine, then take yours back to Renault and slap them in the face. Obviously something isnt right if your map is giving you uneven power?! That's just a joke! And I don't thing Christopher can comment as A- he's used to a 182, any clio thats heavier/has a smaller engine is going to seem s**t to him and B- it wasn't one that had been run it. took a few thousand miles but mines on nearly 12k now and it runs smooth as feck. Nothing like you two describe!

My Girlfriend has an RS Twingo, so coming from the 182 to that isn't a massive step. From 182 to GT really is.

All IMO though. I hope you don't think I'm being a c*nt here, I'm just explaining my thoughts.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Aye, my points exactly. It's not marketed towards him. It's for people who don't want to pay out another £7k for insurance on a faster car. (I really have to repeat this? What doesn't make sense about that?).

Also, before run in the car was a bit weak and drank its fuel. But now mine runs sweet as a nut and hate that I have to get rid :(

No Chris not at all, this is a forum after all it's your opinion that's what this is here for. I just think if you drove one like mine (Seriously run in at 12k) you'd change your opinions of it a bit.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
keeping in mind christopher is coming from a 182 into a 1200kg 130bhp car, its never going to feel quick

That's just it. I drive our RS Twingo as much as my 182, and they're roughly the same weight.

The Clio GT's extra mass really hurts it. The RS Twingo with the same engine is a hoot! Not rich on torque exactly, but really capable.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
If you think of its rivals, it's much better.

As I posted here, I had a play with a 59 plate Mountune Zetec S (around 150bhp, abouti £4k more than my GT cost). And it didn't pull that far away at all. On the straights it only just about started getting away and I caught up with it in the bends.

Then you have the Corsa 1.6 SRI, not only is it about a £3k premium over the GT, it's also dog slow and s**t to drive (according to the press).

The Fiesta mountune is also a silly insurance group, as is the corsa. The normal Fiesta Zetec S falls into the same category as the GT and has the same power etc. But Fords are stupidly expensive nowadays and I really don't think it would be faster.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
exactly the weight kills it, hence why the twingo with "only" 130bhp is a riot. people laugh when i say how genuinely quick my dci 100 is but the twingo is a perfect example. my car weighs 980kg with around 125-130bhp so just under the twingo yet 190lb/ft of torque!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Heh, must be fun yeah!

When you can get an RS Twingo for £10k new, why would anyone buy a GT? If you compare the Twingo to those Jason mentioned too, it looks even better!

Madness. It's barely anymore to insure, and cheaper to run.

a standed zetec s 1.6 mk7 weighs 970kg :dead: i would expect it to make mince meat of a clio gt tbh its the best handling car in the class

Last edited:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Personally I think the Twingo is the ugliest car Renault make at the moment, Just think they haven't bothered to style the rear end and instead crashed a bus into the back of it. And it costs about £2k more for me to insure it over the GT. That's a LOT imo.

New Zetec S? I know I thrash my brothers 56 plate but then again he is underpowered from me :p.

i haven't got a problem with the twingos outside its interior is awful :dead: renault could have bit a bit more effort into it

i can see the logic in the weight id like see a few pounds shed off the mk3s weight tbh

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Personally I think the Twingo is the ugliest car Renault make at the moment, Just think they haven't bothered to style the rear end and instead crashed a bus into the back of it. And it costs about £2k more for me to insure it over the GT. That's a LOT imo.

New Zetec S? I know I thrash my brothers 56 plate but then again he is underpowered from me :p.

LOL. You think that GT's some kind of powerhouse? ;)

I love the look of the Twingo, stays true to the original.

Black Clio GT
all this talk of the gt being crap etc is getting annoying now......
twingo is not meant to rival the gt in any way shape or form, two different cars for different sectors of the market.
if you can live with the dash/lack of space in the twingo then i would get that as as said its the same sort of running costs/purchase price as a gt but the clio is a bigger car and is much nicer inside and actually has somewhere to put shopping and seat 4 people rather than rendering the back seats usless if you have 3 or 4 tesco bags....
clio gt is meant to rival the corsa/fiesta etc, which it does well in terms of looks and price!!
twingo is to rival fiat 500 abarth etc!!!

Last edited:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
What mat said. The Clio has 1million horsepower, because I have put silvertech indicator bulbs on it.

Not a 320d
Aye, my points exactly. It's not marketed towards him. It's for people who don't want to pay out another £7k for insurance on a faster car. (I really have to repeat this? What doesn't make sense about that?).

Also, before run in the car was a bit weak and drank its fuel. But now mine runs sweet as a nut and hate that I have to get rid :(

No Chris not at all, this is a forum after all it's your opinion that's what this is here for. I just think if you drove one like mine (Seriously run in at 12k) you'd change your opinions of it a bit.

Heh, must be fun yeah!

When you can get an RS Twingo for £10k new, why would anyone buy a GT? If you compare the Twingo to those Jason mentioned too, it looks even better!

Madness. It's barely anymore to insure, and cheaper to run.

LOL. You think that GT's some kind of powerhouse? ;)

I love the look of the Twingo, stays true to the original.

Urgh.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
This is a 1.6 clio we're talking about right?

Powerband? Vtec yo indeed!

5k 4k kick who gives a s**t, you don't buy a 1.6 then talk about performance!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
This is a 1.6 clio we're talking about right?

Powerband? Vtec yo indeed!

5k 4k kick who gives a s**t, you don't buy a 1.6 then talk about performance!

That's what everyone picks on with the GT, everyone has a pop saying its a slow piece of s**t. But it just isn't. No it's not as fast as a 182. But it's a cheaper-to-insure-budget-performance-esque-thing.

And I don't know Chris, i really don't.