ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do I need a better wireless router

LY 182
Bit of a weird one. The past few weeks I've found my net at home to be a bit of a PITA. It seems kind of intermittent. Pages will load fine, but some times it just doesn't load or is suuuuper slow.

I've got 20MB Virgin broadband with a Netgear router. This is with my Macbook using the wireless network created with my old laptop. I only seem to have between 50-60% signal with the router downstairs and myself upstairs in my room.

I've been putting up with it, but tbh it's getting a bit annoying now and I'd like to be able to browse without delays.

Not sure if it's just the router or something else. The problem seems to be the same with Firefox, Safari and Chrome.

Anybody experience this or have any ideas with a solution?

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Go on netgear's website, find your router, download the latest firmware, log in to the router, it clearly says 'update' or 'upgrade' and you can browse for the file, upload it and the router does the rest

LY 182
So I looked at this over the weekend. The Netgear site had their latest firmware as 2.0 something from 2007. Mine is 2.5 something so my logic told me not to mess with that.

I don't know what to do now though. The net this evening has been absolutely s**t. It's starting to wind me up. Just trying to view this thread took forever. I think I might phone Virgin Media up first and ask them to come out and check it. Something doesn't seem right for the web to load so damn slowly or not at all at times.

Virgin 20mb service and an almost new Macbook and it's painfully slow.

LY 182
One thing I did notice is my connection is: 802.11g

Perhaps I should invest in a better router that is 802.11n ?

It still shouldn't be this bladdy slow / intermittent though.