ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless connection problems

BG Clio 182
Hoping somebody may be able to help!!! Very recently i've had no end of problems with our wireless connection at home, we have Virgin broadband coming from the set top box into a modem then into a Netgear router.

Its been near on flawless for a good year until recently when i began experiencing major lag when gaming on my PS3 I can connect to the PSN but when i play BF4 my player stutters and when shooting the ammo count wouldn't move etc.. all this was happening for me but the game was still progressing in the background.

I have reset the router tried reestablishing the connection and it doesn't make any difference. The only time i have any joy gaming is when there arent lots of other drains on the connection when im gaming on my own with nobody else on the connection its fine, but as soon as other people log on etc.. the lag kicks in and i have to switch it off as its unplayable.

Ive had the current set up running with no problems for a long time could this be a provider thing??? General internet browsing seems ok but gaming is out of the question which is a problem as i can only use the PS3 during the evening and thats when everyone else is on the internet.

I don't think its the router as ive reset it and it made no change i wonder if its something that Virgin have done???

Any ideas gratefully received.

Cayman S Edition 1
If it's fine over Ethernet, try manually changing the wireless channel to something like 10 or 11. May be interference that's causing it.

BG Clio 182
If it's fine over Ethernet, try manually changing the wireless channel to something like 10 or 11. May be interference that's causing it.

Unfortunatley running via ethernet is not possible as the router is down stairs and the PS3 is upstairs, i get good signal to the PS3 around 70-80%+ I shall try changing the channel and see if that helps.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Try this...

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

Do the advance test after the initial one and it'll tell you the maximum you should be getting. When I had problems this maximum decreased a lot and I phoned up EE and they sent out a BT engineer... was a fault at the exchange.

BG Clio 182
Get some powerline adapters for £20, done.

Powerline adapters don't work in extension leads so im lead to believe?? I dont have any free sockets in my room, unfortnatley.

Try this...

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

Do the advance test after the initial one and it'll tell you the maximum you should be getting. When I had problems this maximum decreased a lot and I phoned up EE and they sent out a BT engineer... was a fault at the exchange.

Thanks i shall give that a look.

BG Clio 182
Looking at this powerline adapters i see you can get some with sockets pass through, so you can still use the existing plug socket. Any recommendations????

SQ5
Looking at this powerline adapters i see you can get some with sockets pass through, so you can still use the existing plug socket. Any recommendations????

Any will do, TPLink are usually cheapest and do a pass through one for power I believe.

Most work in extension leads though.

BG Clio 182
Went for some Netgear Powerline adapters in the end worked a treat, more than doubled my connection speed according to my Ps3. So easy to set up the difference it makes to the speed and responsivness has been immense.

A shiny black one.
I have a certain ext. lead they don't work in... I prefer the ones with the pass through plug anyway.

I have them plugged into matching extensions so not sure whether they will be compatible with all, not sure how they may differ. I can see the benefit of the pass through models, I just didn't see the need for the extra expense for my application.