ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do I need a new battery?

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered before, did a brief search to no avail.

Last Sunday my car (52 plate Cup) struggled to start from cold (it was very cold mind! thick frost and -7 according to the cars thermometer.) Was it just the extreme cold that temporarily killed the battery or is this a sign the battery is nearing the end of its life? This is the only time it has done this but there is another cold start problem which first occured winter '06 which I believe is related.

Sometimes just after I set off the dash will die (all the needles drop and trip computer reset) for a second and the come back on. The headlights are unaffected. I assume this is happening because the battery is struggling to power the lights, fans, heated rear screen etc and something has to switch off. This only happens after a cold night setting off early in the morning, its never happened in the summer.

The car tends to do only short journeys in the week - couple of miles to the station morning/evening, trip to supermarket etc. Gets taken for a good run most weekends.

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered before, did a brief search to no avail.

Last Sunday my car (52 plate Cup) struggled to start from cold (it was very cold mind! thick frost and -7 according to the cars thermometer.) Was it just the extreme cold that temporarily killed the battery or is this a sign the battery is nearing the end of its life? This is the only time it has done this but there is another cold start problem which first occured winter '06 which I believe is related.

Sometimes just after I set off the dash will die (all the needles drop and trip computer reset) for a second and the come back on. The headlights are unaffected. I assume this is happening because the battery is struggling to power the lights, fans, heated rear screen etc and something has to switch off. This only happens after a cold night setting off early in the morning, its never happened in the summer.

The car tends to do only short journeys in the week - couple of miles to the station morning/evening, trip to supermarket etc. Gets taken for a good run most weekends.

I think you could be right that your batterys on its way out mate.

I think i read on here, if the trip computer keeps resetting its a sign the battery is on its last legs

Any more views?

Wheres the best place to get a new battery? Anything I need to look out for? Good brands? (these may be stupid questions but I've never bought one before!)

PH1 172
Any more views?

Wheres the best place to get a new battery? Anything I need to look out for? Good brands? (these may be stupid questions but I've never bought one before!)

Sounds to me the battery is struggling and the fact the trip computer resets itself is the same as what mine did before changing the battery

Got mine from Halfords, can't remember the price now, but wasn't much......just ask when in there if unsure from the list on the shelf what one to get

172 Race Car
Dont f**k about just get a new one!

Just make sure its the one listed for your car, Halfords will be fine

Alright cheers guys :)

I'll look at getting a new one at the weekend. I've probably been pushing my luck with it for a while.

Clio Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
In future, probs just easier to go to a local kwik fit or any other garage and ask them to check the charge on the battery :) Did this with mine and then went out to euro car parts and bought a new battery + fitted that myself.