ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do I Need A Torque Wrench

A3 Tdi
I'm lowering the Zetec S either tommorrow or the day after and I'm just wondering if its worth getting a torque wrench. Do many of you use them, I suppose it will be a good tool to have in the box anyways.

Also can anyone recommend one. I'm looking to spend around £30-£50. Idelaly one I can buy in a shop rather than online. Seen a couple on Euro Parts, ScreFix, Halfords were a bit more expensive than what I wanted to spend, and a £30 one in Argos!!

Thanks, Tom

you only really need them for building engines and stuff like hub nuts and flywheel bolts (imo)

if you buy one, make sure it covers the hub nut/flywheel torques

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Great little tools, well worth having one. As Henry said get one with a decent range, anything up to 150-200 nm should be enough but again check your manufacturers settings.

You'll need one anyways to correctly torque the wheel bolts back up again once you've finished.

ValverInBits
they are handy. Spark plugs are a common one that should always be torqued.

As for that particular job, I don't know fords, but the answer is no, you don't really need one

A3 Tdi
Thanks, I was reading some post's on ZSOC and one guy was adement you would need one. Where as most said no. Cheers :p

Clio 182 arctic
i would get one, i got a clarke one from machine mart £21. goes up to 200nm, and it a pretty good brand so should last a long time. for £21 its pretty good, comes with a 5'' extention and lso a 3/8 adapter. bargain.

A3 Tdi
think I'll get one, they do seem handy. Shame I havnt got a machine mart near me. Can anyone recommend a decent wrench.

Swift Sport
If people realised how incorrect most torque wrenches were they wouldn't buy them. Save your money fella.

Having spark plugs delivered in the week, Worth getting a torque wrench then?

I was thinking the cheap ones probably wont be that accurate anyway!?

Will get one if needs be though.

Swift Sport
Having been a torque-wrench service technician for 6 years I'd say don't bother. It sounds bad but unless you get it calibrated every few weeks it won't be accurate, which is the whole point of a torque-wrench.

DCi 100
True point about the calibration ^

Dad has tons of these running up to a massive 4 foot long f**ker, has to get them done once a year. Not that often I guess but it's maintenance.

I quite fancy getting one tbh, will have to look into it more when it comes round.

Swift Sport
Smaller the wrench and/or the more you use it, the more you need to get it calibrated. I used to service those huge ones, we had contracts with Ferrari and British Airways amongst others!

A3 Tdi
Its going - 40mm on eibachs matey :)

Hmm.... Might give it a miss untill I actually need one then. Never even realised you could be a torque wrench service technician!

Lionel Richie
you still do it Ste? i could do with having my snap on tech wrenches re calibrated (they're electronic, dunno if that is an issue?)