ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do i need the engine cover?

Inferno 182 FF
Mine has some cracks in it and makes annoying noises! Can i just take it off, or does it serve a purpose?

03 clio 172
Dont need it mate, Dont have one on my 172 at the mo, if you have a look at some of the other cars on here loads dont have it on.

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
172 cups and trophy's don't even come with them.

Inferno 182 FF
Great, its coming off! Also i have seen some stunning engine bays on here, How do they get them so polished, is it some sort of chrome?

Evo 6, E92 320d
I flattened mine down with 120 paper on a drill adapter, then just work up the grades of paper, ideally to get it perfect it needs to be buffed with a metal polisher.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Great, its coming off! Also i have seen some stunning engine bays on here, How do they get them so polished, is it some sort of chrome?

Takes Agees, im on my 2nd day on doing the Polished Plenum, ffs i regret starting it, :dead: takes ages with a dremel tho

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Current progress of it, dremel is usefull to get into the tight areas, just takes a while,

How would a scotchbrike pad work with the polish tho, as the dremel kind of takes the top layer off to revel the polished look.

SNC00026.jpg

There's a guide in the guide section for metal polishing but beware if you do start polishing it yourself it takes alot of time and patience.

I wish I hadn't started doing mine now :dapprove:

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
not a bad job if its sunny and doing it topless in the garden ;)

you could always get it powder coated tho,

Clio 172 RS2
Jay i didn't know the state of... with your inlet mani!

The Scotchbrite pad(s) with Alu polish should be the final step and buffing just with cotton cloths and Alu polish.

I only did a 'raw' Alu mountainbike frame to high sheen, chrome-like finish , would shy away from polishing a inlet mani.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
^ state, that state i did :eek: i though id give it a go, seems to be ok, just needs alot of polishing tho, tempted just to spray the damm thing, as its takin so long, + got Fuel Rail and Cover for the Belts to do :(

Audi TT 3.2 V6
I took mine off as it rattled on the engine quite abit and made the car sound a bit rough from the outside.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
ive just started polishing mine im on the 2nd day of it and its not working out too bad..

1) first i used a strong thick sandpaper. (get the most of it off)
2) Dewalt Drill with wire brush attachment. (smooth it over)
3) Then Work down the grades on wet and dry sandpaper.
4) Scotchbrite and alu polish should finish it off nicely.

if anyone can add to that be my guest...

BG 182
*thread theft!*

I'm thinking of getting my spruced up.

Am i right in thinking high temp metal paint can just be painted straight on?
and the plastic engine cover can just be primed and painted?

Anyone got a flamer with a painted engine bay?? would be interested what colour combo you've gone for.

cheers