ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do NGK plugs agree with Clios?

Clio Si 1.6 99'
I have always used NGK plugs for my cars as there undoubtedly the best commercial plug you can get.
However i just bought NGKs' for my 99' 1.6 Clio as the old ones were mismatched and just boggin! The car was also misfiring now and then. After replacing them with the NGKs' though, the car began misfiring all the time!

I figured as usual, that by renewing the plugs with good ones, the problem would be sorted, but no. The car is now loosing power, engine shaking rapidly, sometimes just cutting out and a smell of burning oil occuring from exhaust.

The plugs were put in properly and the HT leads seem to be giving a good spark aswell. 4th plug seems to be misfiring even though lead sparks and plug is new, as when lead is off the plug, there is no difference in engine power when ignition turned on.

The reason for this threads title is because iv seen on the net in some articles, people suggest that NGKs' don't work well in clios for whatever reason. Could it be that i need Bosch instead?

2004 182FF
NJK PFR-6E10's are standard for the 182... so as a blanket statement for Clios... no, they do work well in some. I don't know what plugs they use in the 1.6 (8v?) & can't get Diagolys to work. I'll have a google.

Completely gut feeling uneducated guess........ Coilpack?

Last edited:
  Clio Si 1.6 99'
Supposedly there Bosch plugs, can't remember the code though. Only found this out after i bought the NGKs' though.

Yeh it could be, seems to be a recurring solution that the coilpack is knackered, the one on my engine is a bit dodgy, seems like its been replaced with a slightly different connection. Car worked with this pack before hand though, so has to be another reason its always misfiring now :/

Cheers dude

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Plugs a plug a Plug...imo. Providing you've got the right gap and heat range you'll be fine to use any brand. We used Champion the moajority of the time we were racing. Flat bottom plugs to stop them oiling up on warm up laps.

ITB'd MK1
Plugs a plug a Plug...imo. Providing you've got the right gap and heat range you'll be fine to use any brand. We used Champion the moajority of the time we were racing. Flat bottom plugs to stop them oiling up on warm up laps.

champions fall to bits and bosch cause misfires, but you crack on

RS Clio Trophy

Exactly!

ITB'd MK1
Never had champion fail through 13+yrs of racing. But thanks for your constructive correction of my post.

Everyone has to draw on their own experiences. Champion plugs were crossed off the list or plugs i'll use after ruining a 5 litre firebird v8. That wasn't fun to rebuild really.

Bosch super4 plugs have been the route cause of so many poor running issues i've had to find over the years, that i could never ever fit them in good conscience

340i
I had some Bosch super4 plugs in my 172... ran very lumpy, after 1000miles plug no.3 decided to depart the head in a spectacular fashion BOOM (luckily it didn't cause any serious damage!)

williams 2,seat leon
i run ngk bcr8es in mine and have always been fine, apart from getting coked up due to overfuelling, but this will soon be sorted.

Volvo S60 T5
NGK are fine, also Denso's are good, Bosch now have the correct ones out for the sport range as well now.
Personally I would stick with NGK or Denso's.

I expect you missfire problem is a dodgy injector.

Clio 200 Cup
I put Bosch Super-4's in my 172 Cup (cant remember the exact plug code) and they were wrong and killed the ignition coil. I'm not sure why tho....does anybody know?

Clio Si 1.6 99'
Just put brand new coil packs in and theyve barely changed the issue atall, pissed!

The engines still struggling to keep power and its chugging all over the place, tail pipes showing bursts of breathing instead of a steady flow too.
Would a faulty lambda sensor make it run this way?

Heres a wee video of it starting, listen:

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio Si 1.6 99'
After checking out the problem again, all the plugs are working, and the leads are too. But chamber no.4 seems to be the one misfiring, doesnt matter if its plugged in and the plugs always covered in oil. The plug and lead are good though, coil packs are new too.
So chamber 4 has a problem.

Iv looked around for other diagnosis of the problem, things like TDC sensor, Lambda sensor, throttle body and fuel injectors came up.
Iv since cleaned the TDC and Lambda sensor with no change, not sure if u can only renew the lambda and not clean it though.

Not sure where the fuel injectors are either, if the one leading to chamber 4 is blocked or damaged then itd probably be that. Anyone give me some help on that, where they are and how to take them off to clean/renew?

Cheers

HBT 172 Cup
Do a compression check, things like TDC sensor, lambda faults e.t.c will cause general rough running, not a rhythmic missfire like you are experiencing. If its sparking and getting fuel, then you probably have a compression issue.

Clio Si 1.6 99'
If it where a compression issue, what would the fix be, remap or rebuild etc? (possible usual fault in clios)
Could it still be the injectors with these symptoms also?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
+1 Laine - IF its a compression fault then it could be valve or ring related... as for fixes and prices worry about that if the results show a wild cylinder reading.