ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do Tyres Change Shape?

Breaking A 172 Replica
When speed builds, do tyre change shape? As in do they become curved in a convex way? Or do the metal strands, combined with the high pressure, keep the tyre in the same shape?

Thanks

Sam

D

dick

they do yes, due to the spinning, just like a huge metal girder deflects (bends) when you put a 1kg weight on it. - atho not very much. and not enough to notice.

how much they defleect depends on a lot of things tho, materials, design, speed, acceleration. tempterature etc.

but they dont turn into oval shapes tho! :)

Breaking A 172 Replica
Hmm, I've seen something like that before. Awesome vid. Aren't road tyres designed a bit differently? I meant do they spin out due to a gyration type force?

Sam

i know for a fact my rears change shape slightly...........driving on a flat road, they do not rub on the rear

DSC_0264.jpg

there is about 4-5mm gap between the arch and tyre.........but driving faster and faster you can hear it rubbing very slightly........hence they must change shape?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
i know for a fact my rears change shape slightly...........driving on a flat road, they do not rub on the rear

DSC_0264.jpg

there is about 4-5mm gap between the arch and tyre.........but driving faster and faster you can hear it rubbing very slightly........hence they must change shape?

dude whats with the sqaure wheel LOL

lmao ssssshhhhhhh...........the lips got a bend in it on that one, yet to be fixed! still its not buckled so its allreeet lol

Ad

MK2 FRS
Tyres are designed to flex, its part of their make up. So as such they change shape particularly under hard cornering.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yep, ever seen them touring car onboard cameras, mounted near the wheels? Awesome shots, the tyre quite clearly changes shapes cornering etc