ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Old Tyres

LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
My wife got a MX5 earlier in the year.

Its now 8 years old. Only done 6k.

So tyres are 8 year old OEM bridgestones but got 7-8mm on them. When I looked at other low miles MX5's the tyres had cracked sidewalls if still on originals. But these still look like new I guess it was hardly driven & garaged so no nasty UV.

So I was thinking of changing to Pilot Sport 5's or Goodyear Eagle 6 as tyre tech come along way.

She does not drive the car hard. If I leave them on they will last for ages yet as only do 4-5k a year.

So is it worth it?

And if I do change should I take the Tyres back and sell on Ebay fora few quid each? As I imagine if I leave to the tyre company to dispose they are just gonna end up on someone elses car anyway

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I would take the car out in the rain and see what they are like. If they feel fine, have no cracking, no visible damage etc. I wouldn't be rushing to swap for new tyres especially if she doesn't drive the car hard over long distances. Seems like a waste of money to me.

I think its also an expensive time to buy tyres too...

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
I had some tyres that where rock hard due to age and never wore down but it felt like you where driving on ice I think they where roughly 8 year old Michelin pilot sport 2s. If you enjoy good grip swap them if you drive slowly everywhere and just care about getting through mots keep them on.

LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Thanks. Thought there would be more opinions as people are using Clios as second cars doing less miles. Unless they all been used on track for a couple of track days to kill them.

I think I will change.

Any thoughts on whether worth selling the old ones?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
When we got the MX-5 race car (NA) it bounced like a mad thing. Was fairly sure the shocks were crap until I filmed the car in slow motion and found that the sidewalls were deforming. Normally you run MX-5s around 26psi but as a test I stuck 35psi in them and voila they firmed up showing it was the tyres. They were 8 year old Michelin Pilot Sport 3s. A new set cured the issue completely.

The fact that you’re thinking of going to Pilot Sport 5s makes it a no brainer IMO. Great tyres.

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
Thanks. Thought there would be more opinions as people are using Clios as second cars doing less miles. Unless they all been used on track for a couple of track days to kill them.

I think I will change.

Any thoughts on whether worth selling the old ones?
100% but take a pic of the week and year number someone will buy them