ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you ever think?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Why do we bother spending all this money on Cars? I am aself confessed petrol head, And decided the only way I was going to ever get a car I really want (E46 M3, Impreza or an Evo) Was to buy a car that was extremely cheap to run and save like mad, And get some no claims! I sold my Clio and bought a 1.1 Rover 100 Kensington, With 58k on the Clock for £400, This had 12 months MOT and 6 Months tax. Then, Even though I was only 19 at the time, I managed to get insured for £415! This meant I had bought a car that was road legal for at least 6 months, Cost me a little over £900, Half the price my Clio cost to insure alone! The only thing I have bought for it in the last 12 months was 2 tyres and 6 months road tax! All of which came to a little over £100!

However, I haven't even washed/vacuummed this car, Its got me work and back through rain and snow all year, AS well as 3 200 mile trips to Devon and back! But today was MOT time, I washed and vacced it, And TBH if it had failed catestrophically, I'd have been happy with the Value I've got out of it. They phoned to say it had failed, But only cost £25 to get it through! So for £65, My car is road legal for another 12 months, And I pick it up tomorrow

So basically, I'm now road legal for another 12 months, and All i have spent, is just over a grand for the car, Maintainance, 2x years mot, Tax and maintainance.

Makes me think, I used to spend more than that some months on my clio!

I'm in the position now financially, To go and buy a nice 04 Plate 2.2 16v Astra convertable, But My dad thinks i should just carry on with the old metro, SAve up even more, Get more no claims and be in the position 12 months with another years no claim (hopefully) and another few grand saved!

None
Yea keep saving and run the metro into the ground (some kids will prob nick it soon enough anyway)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Yea keep saving and run the metro into the ground (some kids will prob nick it soon enough anyway)

lol, Its been keyed already, I know that most people aspire to own such a great vehicle, But Vandilism just shows your jealosuy!

None
Indeed it is thats why my car has no "fancy bits on it" my aerial got ripped off about 2 weeks after I got the car so just put an aerial inside the dash instead :)

visualize whirled pe
Metro or not I know what you mean. My sister and her fella bought an old 1275cc mini about 4 years ago and has so far had to replace the ariel (vandals) and a exhaust section £25. It costs feck all to run and insure and I defy anyone to drive a mini down a country lane and say it aint fun.

My mate bought an old mk1 fiesta with a 1 litre cross flow and that was a right laugh to drive, cheap cars are ace. Saying that you have to be careful, bought a scirocco for £700 and it was a bag of poo!!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My 172 cost me £1200 a year in tax, insurance etc before it even moves.

If i bought a cheap car, i'd be dept free, and could easily halve that cost.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It's a two sided coin, you can either save for something you want in a few years time, or do what you can in the meantime.

I'm not known for my patience, and I had a Metro for a few months, smashed it to bits and would never own one again for the very reason I like to explore the limits of my ability and the car, not explore my body's tolerance to smashed glass and tarmac (which is inevitable if you drive a Metro fast).

ford focus
i used to have a 1 litre micra and it was cheap to run but for some reason i get more miles to the gallon in the clio which put a smile on my face

visualize whirled pe
I'd rather push my limits on a track rather than on the road so if i wanted to save some cash, a slow car wouldn't bother me and I'd have something quick for track days. Metro's handle well, they have hydrogas suspension not far different to the origional mini's hydroelastic which is very responsive even when driven quickly, I've owned two of them ;)

I used to have a Ka and that was great handling and cheap and fairly nippy when it broke I got the clio, tbh the Ka was more fun day to day as it was easier to keep to speed limits and required more imput through working the gearbox, it was so good we bought another.
It's not all about speed, although I want to one day buy a vee, after a few years of that I'll no doubt want to save some cash and get a runabout again.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I also work in a sueprmarket bakery, and the fact im progressing with my career ther, means my cars in the car park for nearly 11 hours some days, Which means it gets dented etc etc.

I also forgot to mention the fuel economy, I can get away with a tenner a week!

My dad said keep buying shitters and buy a track car for fun.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It's all very well saying "get a track car for fun".

But that means you have to goto a track, which is great fun, but let's face it, how many does the average self acclaimed petrol head really do ??

I did 3 last year, and have only done 2 this year (including the nurburgring). The first time I ever went on a track at Donnington I was competent to say the least, that's because I already knew the limits of my car, so it wasn't a case of exploring, but simply getting the right lines and braking points to get the best lap I could.

In fast road use, how many miles do you get to a set of tyres and brake pads ?? On a track I can do both of those in 1 day, plus accomodation, plus time off work (if nessecary), oil change (just something I like to do afterward).

I'd rather just have a nice car day to day (I'm in the dci because insurance doesn't permit anything decent, although it costs more to insure than a 1.6 it's much better imo).

visualize whirled pe
It's all very well saying "get a track car for fun".

But that means you have to goto a track, which is great fun, but let's face it, how many does the average self acclaimed petrol head really do ??

I did 3 last year, and have only done 2 this year (including the nurburgring). The first time I ever went on a track at Donnington I was competent to say the least, that's because I already knew the limits of my car, so it wasn't a case of exploring, but simply getting the right lines and braking points to get the best lap I could.

In fast road use, how many miles do you get to a set of tyres and brake pads ?? On a track I can do both of those in 1 day, plus accomodation, plus time off work (if nessecary), oil change (just something I like to do afterward).

I'd rather just have a nice car day to day (I'm in the dci because insurance doesn't permit anything decent, although it costs more to insure than a 1.6 it's much better imo).

I do agree with some of that but if I get you right, it sounds like you are saying that you should test your limits on a public road :nono: to justify a faster car.
You may be a decent driver (but then you think a dci is better than a 1.6 :) ) not everyone is so testing a cars limits on a public road is not very clever, you dont get horses, diesel slicks, kids kicking balls around on a track.

Cars are a ball ache x 9999999999999999999999999999999
:(

haha just seen the avatar, gutting, whats up with the panza wagon then?

A taxi thought it would be a good idea to come out of a sidestreet without looking. Slammed on but still hit into him at about 15mph. :(

Bonnets bent up, and front bumpers fucked. Hopefully only cosmetic. He admitted it was his fault and is insured but still gutting :'(

visualize whirled pe
ouch! hope it all gets sorted to your approval.

Just got to see what you'll be getting for a replacement while the work is being done. probably double ouch :) !

Yeah, luckily one was a solicitor too which is kinda good I suppose.

About 5 people stood around taking pics too :dapprove:

Did you rev it for them ? ;)

When we'd exchanged details and got witnesses details got back in the car and floored it with TC off so was spinning them rears up lol. After that little burst I drove it slow as the bonnet is that bent it doesnt stay shut, it was tied down with a belt.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I do agree with some of that but if I get you right, it sounds like you are saying that you should test your limits on a public road :nono: to justify a faster car.
You may be a decent driver (but then you think a dci is better than a 1.6 :) ) not everyone is so testing a cars limits on a public road is not very clever, you dont get horses, diesel slicks, kids kicking balls around on a track.

Limit is the wrong word reading back on my last post.

I haven't exceeded the limit of this car (cornering wise) on the road, that's why it's still here. Nor have I done so on a track, but I think a good reason for that is that it's 80bhp and FWD. Very hard to lose control.

Getting a feel for the car is more what I meant, if you drive at 60mph on a SC, apart from the odd tight corner, 60mph is going to be a very slow cornering speed, so you'll never know what your car does when it's being pushed.

Obviously this isn't good practice for 99% of people out there, but when I'm driving I'm always concentrating like I was on a track, it's a weird feeling and after 4 years of it I'm used to it, never listen to the CD/Radio unless I'm in traffic, and for some reason it's just instinct to turn off the AC when the cars ahead clear :eek:

Maybe I'll calm down with a bigger one day.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Did you rev it for them ? ;)

When we'd exchanged details and got witnesses details got back in the car and floored it with TC off so was spinning them rears up lol. After that little burst I drove it slow as the bonnet is that bent it doesnt stay shut, it was tied down with a belt.

Good stuff, when it's at the bodyshop, ask if they'll spray it black under the insurance for you ;)

Good stuff, when it's at the bodyshop, ask if they'll spray it black under the insurance for you ;)

White tbh!! lol. That will be a joy to sell. think I'd have to keep it if i got it done it white, and just sell my ass to pay for the house

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ohh yes, saw a white CSL (rep maybe) at the Ring.

Plate was NO C5L or something like that. For some reason I can't remember whether it had a carbon roof or not.. (could've been painted either way)

Ohh yes, saw a white CSL (rep maybe) at the Ring.

Plate was NO C5L or something like that. For some reason I can't remember whether it had a carbon roof or not.. (could've been painted either way)

It is a CSL, he crashed it and damaged quite a lot of the panels so had to get a respray anyway, so got white :D

BMW M4; S1000 RR
March apparently.

I'm hoping that's true because I want a go sooner rather than later, not sure dealerships will be jumping to let me take theirs away for a few hours in exchange for a battered blue Clio in their forecourts either..

white3yr1.jpg

Can't wait for KTec to start doing those "M3 Mirrors" for Clios. Will look splendid!!:eek: :quiet:

March apparently.

I'm hoping that's true because I want a go sooner rather than later, not sure dealerships will be jumping to let me take theirs away for a few hours in exchange for a battered blue Clio in their forecourts either..

Cool! :D how much that gonna set him back?

Think I'm gonna sell mine sooner than expected now :dapprove:

visualize whirled pe
Limit is the wrong word reading back on my last post.

I haven't exceeded the limit of this car (cornering wise) on the road, that's why it's still here. Nor have I done so on a track, but I think a good reason for that is that it's 80bhp and FWD. Very hard to lose control.

Getting a feel for the car is more what I meant, if you drive at 60mph on a SC, apart from the odd tight corner, 60mph is going to be a very slow cornering speed, so you'll never know what your car does when it's being pushed.

Obviously this isn't good practice for 99% of people out there, but when I'm driving I'm always concentrating like I was on a track, it's a weird feeling and after 4 years of it I'm used to it, never listen to the CD/Radio unless I'm in traffic, and for some reason it's just instinct to turn off the AC when the cars ahead clear :eek:

Maybe I'll calm down with a bigger one day.

I see what you mean, but I've been driving for over 10 years now myself, the clio is by no means the quickest most powerful car I've ever owned (or driven) I too like to concentrate on the road so I hardly ever have the radio on, except like you said in traffic.

I do think though (from owning a 2cv!! before) it aint about the amount of power you need to have fun, or loose control for that matter. Real pro's like McRae, Burns and Sainz have lost it (many times) finding the limits of cars and conditions they know better than anyone else, some of those crashes were at 60mph on tarmac in a car with £300k's worth of handling mods!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
March apparently.

Cool! :D how much that gonna set him back?

Think I'm gonna sell mine sooner than expected now :dapprove:

8% off list price whatever that is. Doubt he'll keep it very long, it'll probably be one of those "buy it, drive it like you're escaping lava, and sell it while there's still a waiting list" things..