ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you need to replace the hub nut?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Going to give my drum brakes a clean and inspect inside them sometime to see how worn they are, do you have to replace the hub nut when you put the drum back on?

Also anyone know what size the hub nut is?

Thanks

renault clio 1.4 16v
if its a nylock type it can be used a few times, but if it comes off with out much resistance then id suggest replacing them, i think its a 30mm as far as i remember

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
if its a nylock type it can be used a few times, but if it comes off with out much resistance then id suggest replacing them, i think its a 30mm as far as i remember

That's not true. The whole point of a nylock nut is the nylock is deformed by the bolt causing a locking effect. Reusing the nut means it loses it's ability as a locking nut.

172 Track Car
I'm cheap/always forget to buy one and reuse it. I've never worked out how much bolt stretch you get but as it's an angular roller bearing I've always assumed the bearing displacement soaked up by the preload would be enough. But then you know what they say about assumptions... That and they get checked surprisingly often even on the road going clio.

Just to note, it is good practice to replace them and I don't condone reuse. I don't want you slating me if your outboard assembly falls off down the motorway. I'd hope you'd notice anyway as the calliper will attempt to hold it and might buy you enough time to do something.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
on the ph2 it's a 30mm

I always re use as I don't mind if the wheel falls off.

172 Ph1
That's not true. The whole point of a nylock nut is the nylock is deformed by the bolt causing a locking effect. Reusing the nut means it loses it's ability as a locking nut.

That's rubbish -been using the same nut over and over - torque'd up never been an issue - nylock type .

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That's rubbish -been using the same nut over and over - torque'd up never been an issue - nylock type .

These are both rubbish! They clearly have a reduced locking affect when used more than once but it's not completely lost innit bruvs