ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

..do you use AOL?

Found this on another website..

"My own experiences with AOL have spurred me to create this guide to connecting to AOL without and 3rd-party software whatsoever. Hopefully you'll find this helpful. Not only can you connect without their software, but you can set up your connection to always be on, from the second you start windows.

Setting up a connection with AOL so you can remove their shitty software:

1. Make sure you are disconnected from AOL via their software.

2. Start -> Connect To -> Show All Connections.

3. Double-Click "New Connection Wizard".

4. Hit "Next".

5. Make sure "Connect to the internet is selected" and hit "Next" again.

6. Select "Set up my connection manually" and hit "Next".

7. Select "Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password" and hit "Next".

8. In the "ISP Name" box enter something to describe it to you. SOmething like "AOL Broadband" will do you.

9. Enter your User Name in the box - Something like "KeSmi747@aol.com" then enter the password you use to connect to AOL in each of the boxes below. Hit "Next".

*** IMPORTANT - you must get your username right and the standard format is the first two letters of your first name, the first three letters of your last name, then three random numbers, not forgetting that you also need to include "@aol.com". The example above is what Kevin Smith's AOL username might be. ***

10. Hit "Finish".

At this point you can stop and simply connect to AOL by going Start -> Connect To -> AOL Broadband, but I recommend taking the next few steps and having your connection always on.

11. In the box that comes up hit "Properties". (This box can also be brought up by going Start -> Connect To -> AOL Broadband)

12. Goto the "Options" tab and increase the "Redial attempts" to 100, then change the "Time between redial attempts" to 1 second.

13. On this same screen uncheck the box labelled "Promt for name and password, certificate, etc." Hit "OK".

14. Open Start -> Connect To -> then left-click and drag "AOL Broadband" to your desktop to create a shortcut.

15. Right-Click the new shortcut and select "Cut".

16. Right-Click the Start button and select "Open".

17. Open "Programs" then "Start Up".

18. Right-Click in the blank space and select "Paste".

That's it - now when you log into windows your AOL connection will automatically connect itself and stay conencted."

ITR UKDC2
Hate AOL with a passion!

its like a bug.......once on your computer it becomes a b*tch to get off

its all sales cr*p half the time that pops up

hope your info helps people stop this stuff going on

Golf GTI 1.8T
Can't see why you would possibly want to use AOL anyway. Expensive, slow and crap browser........

Yup like my dad but whilst I'm at home from Uni gonna have to make do, best get the software off my PC asap its really slowed it down :S

actually it might remove the modem drivers grrr just won't open it!

i have been using aol since version 5 i think it was and have never had a problem with them not once. Did try a few other ISP's but got problems with them i had never had with aol before. ok they are not the cheapest about but my connection stays on 24/7 and theres no caping and my 2mb connection always runs @ over 2mb so cant complain one bit about them also have never had problem unistalling aol software.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I don't even use AOL CDs as coffee-mug coasters anymore. That's too demeaning to other coasters the world over...

Introducing AOL to a PC (especially a PC that is focused on gaming) is the equivalent of washing your car with a Brillo pad and Happy Shopper washing up liquid combination. It has no merits - there are no benefits. And I still can't believe the original way that AOL shafted customers up the ricker all those years ago. I can't remember the exact costs, but it was something like an additional £1.50 per MB if you went over your monthly allowance. Ok, that was back in the days of 14.4k modems - but even so.

If those radical fanatics in the Middle East want to do do something useful with their rucksacks of semtex - can't they call a jihad against the AOL offices???

D.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
now i just need to work out how to make outlook pick up my aol email.... i am following the guide but it doesn't want to work!

Sorry that last message made no sense (cider talking lol), my parents use AOL, so when I'm home I hook up my PC and it works really well without the software, you get great ping for games as well.