ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodgy dealings 16v

Valver

Not sure if this is anyones on here, I dont think it is but dont want to offend...

Saw a 16v in the Dudley area, just over 100k, mint condition, had a new clutch, gearbox, bearings, and disks apparently. going for a grand seemed like a good deal but then he wouldnt let us test drive it, turned out the tax had expired 6 months ago, no big deal take it round the block unlikely to get pulled, but he wasnt having any of it, even offered to leave a 500 quid deposit there and then if he would let us test drive it! Seemed a bit off to me, surely no one would buy a car without a test drive?

Dont know if anyone on here as seen it or knows anything about it? Shame though would have bought it there and then if it had driven ok :cry:

Valver

Yeah he reversed it out his garage but only half way for some reason, there was a strange clicking/ticking noise coming from the engine though, my bet is its been well thrashed...

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

yeh i started mine this morning after not using it for 10 days as ive been away and it sounded like a clock on speed!

Never known another car that moans at you so much if you dont use it everyday, anything you do its "no dont brake - ow" "no dont change gear its too sore" "what 3K+ rpm? your kidding!"

Valver

L906 VLP is the reg...

Also he said it had 12 months MOT but the tax was 6 months out meaning he must have driven it to the test centre, unless he towed it but unlikely I think, was a bit of a dodgy area...

The ticking noise was the tapets or something apparently?

silver valver/hybrid

seems like hes trying to hide something, not a very accommodating seller is he! then again i know what these dodgy Dudley folk are like!:p

To be fair to him, if you did get pulled it would be down to him any tax problems, maybe he was a copper and thought it wasnt worth the risk!

Valver

true but then we asked him if it had been sitting there since decemember, and he said no he drives it around now and then to keep it going ???

Then he got annoyed when we kept asking for a test drive and said someone had phoned and said they would give him 900 without even looking at the car so he didnt care if we bought it or not?

Quote: Originally posted by Daz0rz on 18 June 2005

yeh i started mine this morning after not using it for 10 days as ive been away and it sounded like a clock on speed!

Never known another car that moans at you so much if you dont use it everyday, anything you do its "no dont brake - ow" "no dont change gear its too sore" "what 3K+ rpm? your kidding!"
lol

This is so true! :cool:

Quote: Originally posted by Sami on 18 June 2005

L906 VLP is the reg...

Also he said it had 12 months MOT but the tax was 6 months out meaning he must have driven it to the test centre, unless he towed it but unlikely I think, was a bit of a dodgy area...

The ticking noise was the tapets or something apparently?
Whoa!!! My old Williams was L 901 VLP. Must have been bought at the same dealership at the same sort of time.

Sounds to me as if the seller and you didnt click, rather than the car being dodgy necessarily. All the sellers advice guides say not to offer a test drive unless the buyer is insured - were you??

LY 200

Did you ask and did he take you for a drive?

Id say its dodgy if the above didnt happen!

Not a Clio

Quote: Originally posted by Clio on 18 June 2005<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">To be fair to him, if you did get pulled it would be down to him any tax problems, maybe he was a copper and thought it wasnt worth the risk!

That worried me when i was selling mine, my tax AND mot had run out. I let the guy drive around the estate but not on the main road. But I knew no-one would buy without a test drive!

[Edited by _simon_ on 6/18/2005 8:33:53 PM]

Ticking noise is just the injectors mate and perfectly normal.

However i would never buy a car with a test drive.

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 19 June 2005

Ticking noise is just the injectors mate and perfectly normal.

However i would never buy a car with a test drive.

tappets, valves etc.. injectors are quiet.. well they are on mine anyway

Valver

Dad was with me he was fully comp etc to drive the car, but the guy didnt even ask about insurance just flately refused it!

Just the fact we pretty much offered him the money there and then if he would give us a test drive but he just didnt seem interested...

182 Cup, (2nd one)

Id never buy a car without a test drive, too dodgy

Id stick with your gut instinct as you were there on the day. If you have reservations then keep away. There are other cars. If your dad thinks keep away then listen to him too, hell have had more experience at buying cars

Valver

Yeah definately listen to my old man on that one, was definately a shame though for the price it was *mint* well so it looked...

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

If you really do like it, Buy that AA thing where a mechanic will look over it for you (or take someone in the know)