ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodgy insurance issues?

Da

Less
Basically, to cut a long story short, my brother in law and sister were hit in their Clio about 3/4 months ago now.
The car was written off in the crash and it turned out the other driver had no insurance.
As there was no third party to claim off the claim was fully on my brother in laws policy meaning he lost his no claims and has a full claim on his records. Claim was settled and he has since replaced the Clio.

Recently, 3/4 months down the line, a letter has arrived stating that the driver was infact insured and the claim is now been disputed! This has been forwarded to his insurers but at present he's still paying over the odds for his policy with no no claims and a full claim! Where does he stand? I mean how can someone not be insured, then several months later found to be!? :S

Any help/info much appreciated :)

Vaux Astra VXR Arden Blue
Basically, to cut a long story short, my brother in law and sister were hit in their Clio about 3/4 months ago now.
The car was written off in the crash and it turned out the other driver had no insurance.
As there was no third party to claim off the claim was fully on my brother in laws policy meaning he lost his no claims and has a full claim on his records. Claim was settled and he has since replaced the Clio.

Recently, 3/4 months down the line, a letter has arrived stating that the driver was infact insured and the claim is now been disputed! This has been forwarded to his insurers but at present he's still paying over the odds for his policy with no no claims and a full claim! Where does he stand? I mean how can someone not be insured, then several months later found to be!? :S

Any help/info much appreciated :)

Can be mistakes anywhere, Wrong registration could have been given or they may have been driving someone elses vehilce under a different policy, company policies fleet trade polices lots of things can come into,

Just hope now they get a full recovery and your bro will be refunded

ST
Insurance is basically w@nk..

I ended up getting short changed a few years back by those mugs at Norwhich Union...the c0ck ends in the overseas call centre don't have a clue either!!

Every time you give them a ring you're made to feel like a criminal!!

Da

Less
Yeah I can understand a mistake is easy, but surely to settle a claim on the basis of no insurance and then start criminal proceedings against the other driver for DWNI, it's kinda important to get it right? lol!

Last edited:

Maz

LY 200
So let me get this right, the other driver had no insurance, your Brother in law was paid oout from his policy, claim closed, now the guy has insurance and is blaming your brother in law for the accident ?

I think I would be going down the CAB or to see a solicitor.

Da

Less
Nah sorry Marie, I worded that a little wrong.

The claim isn't been disputed as such, but obviously who pays the claim is, now this letter has arrived.

Maz

LY 200
So your brother in law paid the claim when it wasnt his fault but now the guy has came forward with insurance so surely this is in your brother in laws interest as now he can claim back off the other guy whos fault it was ?

Or is the other guy now saying he wasnt to blame and he wants his car fixed on your brother in laws insurance too ?

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
You could have actually claimmed anyway, and your insurance company should have paid you somethign, there is a law and its something to do with all insurance companys pay a certain percentage of there money into this "fund" for people who are hit by uninsured drivers, its some govenment law or something. so you could still ahve claimmed money throught some system, cant remember what it is cos i am too busy doing other stuff to think about it

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
something like this :

Uninsured Driver Claims Against The Motor Insurers Bureau

The Motor Insurers Bureau was set up in 1946 to ensure that any victims who suffered injuries and losses as a result of an accident caused by an uninsured drivers would still receive compensation. The Motor Insurers Bureau is funded by all other UK insurers, although ultimately it is all law abiding drivers who buy their motor insurance each year who fund the scheme. It is estimated that approximately £30 of each motor insurance policy purchased in the UK goes towards the funding of the Motor Insurers Bureau.
The Insurer of last resort?

The Motor Insurers Bureau (normally referred to as the MIB) is often referred to as an insurer of last resort, as anyone claiming from them has to make sure there is no legitimate insurance policy in existence that they could claim against before they can make a successful claim from the MIB.
The Motor Insurance Database?

Until recently it was sometimes incredibly difficult to discover whether another driver had an insurance policy. Solicitors would have to instruct private investigators to track down the other driver and attempt to discover if there was a motor insurance policy in existence. After considerable lobbying by excellent organisations such as the Motor Accident Solicitors Society which is an organisation set up to fight for the rights of accident victims, finally the Motor Insurance Database was created. This now holds the insurance details of every vehicle in the UK and the name of the insurer that covers the vehicle. It is now very easy to discover if any claims will ultimately be made against uninsured drivers.
Now if you are involved in an accident one of the first actions your expert 1stclaims.co.uk solicitor will take is to search the Motor Insurance Database to discover if there is a motor insurance policy in place. If there is, the solicitor can then deal directly with the other driver's insurance company. If there is not a policy in place, a claim is made to the Motor Insurers Bureau for compensation and is dealt with in the same way as any other claim. However, the MIB does have its own rules which can sometimes make the claims process against uninsured drivers more difficult and consequently they can take longer than a claim against the insurer. The Motor Accident Solicitors Society continues to campaign and work closely with the MIB to make the process as simple as possible.
Uninsured Driver Claims, will I still recover my compensation?

Yes, the MIB will pay out for almost all parts of your claim. However, because they are the insurer of last resort, if you have your own fully comprehensive motor insurance policy you will be expected to claim the cost of any damages to your car from your own insurer. However, if you use an expert personal injury compensation solicitor from 1stclaims.co.uk this will not affect your no claims bonus and you can recover any excess on your policy. Therefore, you can recover almost the same amount with uninsured driver claims as you can with a normal claim.
Will the claim take longer against the Motor Insurers Bureau?

As a result of the MIB being funded by all other insurance companies, and indirectly by insured motorists, the MIB has a duty to keep its costs and expenses to a minimum. This does mean that at times the workload for the MIB team can be extremely high and therefore there can be periods of delay. Therefore, although the claim will ultimately be paid by the MIB, uninsured driver claims can and often do take a lot longer than a claim against an insured driver.
What should I do if the other driver was uninsured?

The most important thing to do is instruct an expert personal injury solicitor as soon as possible after the accident so that they can make the necessary searches against the Motor Insurance Database, and ensure that the MIB are notified of your claim as soon as possible.
As all 1stclaims.co.uk solicitors are members of the Motor Accident Solicitors Society and therefore experts in motor accident compensation claims, they understand the procedure fully and are extremely well placed to ensure your claim against uninsured drivers proceeds as swiftyly as possible for you.
Let us take care of your uninsured driver claims.

Please either call us FREE on 0800 2888 693 or complete our
FREE claim enquiry form.

Maz

LY 200
I had the same about 5 years ago when a TWOC hit my old clio I had to claim off my own insurance and lost my NCB.

Da

Less
So your brother in law paid the claim when it wasnt his fault but now the guy has came forward with insurance so surely this is in your brother in laws interest as now he can claim back off the other guy whos fault it was ?

Or is the other guy now saying he wasnt to blame and he wants his car fixed on your brother in laws insurance too ?

This is getting confusing, lol!

Basically, blame was never disputed as there was no point - there was never another insurance company to argue with.
My bro in law's insurance policy took the full claim and paid out the value of the car (written off).

So, as this letter has come to light, I can see that the guy's insurance company (NU) will want to fight the claim and it could end up 50/50.

Even so, at present, my bro in law is paying over the odds with a full-fault claim on his records, which ultimately could be cleared.

Alex, cheers for that info will look into it :)