ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does anybody know this 182 or dealer?

Been scouring PH everyday now trying to find the right 182. Have enquired about a few but nothing much has come of it. I have however just come across this which would appear to tick all the boxes of what I am looking for; Near standard, good service history, recent cambelt & aux change, Both cup packs and cosmetically good. It's not in my number 1 choice of colour but I could overlook this for a well maintained car.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3158310.htm

Does anybody on here know the car or had any dealings with the dealer? It looks like a very good price for the spec, milage and condition. Seems almost too cheap for a dealer price. In the private market it's reasonably priced but dealers love to add an extra £700+ for the privilidge of buying from them. The ad also states that it is completely standard with no mods. Would I be correct in saying that the exhaust doesn't look OEM. This isn't a bad thing, it just makes me wonder what else in the Ad isn't correct.

If I was to go ahead with this car then I'd be travelling from Aberdeen for it so wouldn't want to turn up and find its a dog.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
It must take forever to write something whilst putting a capital at the start of every word.

Hi there,

I know this dealer well. I nearly bought a clio 182 from him 6 months ago. Only reason I didn't was that I decided to get a bigger car.

If he says the car is in immaculate condition then it will be. The one I nearly bought from him was spotlessly clean inside and out. It would be well worth a view in my opinion.

Hi there,

I know this dealer well. I nearly bought a clio 182 from him 6 months ago. Only reason I didn't was that I decided to get a bigger car.

If he says the car is in immaculate condition then it will be. The one I nearly bought from him was spotlessly clean inside and out. It would be well worth a view in my opinion.

Excellent, thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Looks nice. However the front looks a bit high, as mine did on standard suspension (non-cupped)
And the wheels look very dark.

Listerine & Poledo
anything that doesn't look like it's about to tear its bumpers off ona manhole cover is considered to look too high for this forum though, so wouldn't worry about that

anything that doesn't look like it's about to tear its bumpers off ona manhole cover is considered to look too high for this forum though, so wouldn't worry about that

Haha. How can you tell if it has the cup pack suspension? Any tell tale signs, other than the anthracite wheels?

2014 Clio 200t edc
I guess so but mine on cup springs rides lower than that one.
The only way is to measure the bolt spacing on the strut/hub iirc.

Looking into the ride height a bit more it would seem that it does sit at the same height as a non cup suspension packed 182. So it would appear that is doesn't have both cup packs as stated in the ad.

Bummer, thought I had finally found a decent one at a decent price aswell. Nevermind, let the 182 hunt continue. I thought it would be easy finding one too.

Focus ST-3
Id be fairly cautious if I were you.

When i was looking at buying my first 182 in february they had a nice looking black one that i was very tempted with. the advert was exactly the same, pretty much word for word except the mileage, and it also gave the 'HPI clear - with certificate' comment.

I had been screwed over on my previous car with outstanding finance, so before going to look at the 182 i did a HPI check to make sure..... it was not clear, it still has outstanding finance on it and was on the security alert register (or whatever its called)

Just becase it says HPI clear and he gives you a piece of paper saying so, doesnt mean you shouldnt check it out yourself.

The guy is also incredibly hard to get hold of and wasnt very willing to give me much info on the car. personally I'd steer well clear.

Looking into the ride height a bit more it would seem that it does sit at the same height as a non cup suspension packed 182. So it would appear that is doesn't have both cup packs as stated in the ad.

The difference between cup and non cup is only 3mm IIRC. Also it does appear to have the spoiler, wheels and original splitter so I would guess the suspension is.

You can check if you view as I think the cup suspension has a little red and white tab on the rear springs visible under the car whereas non cup are just black springs. (Someone correct this if not please)

Id be fairly cautious if I were you.

When i was looking at buying my first 182 in february they had a nice looking black one that i was very tempted with. the advert was exactly the same, pretty much word for word except the mileage, and it also gave the 'HPI clear - with certificate' comment.

I had been screwed over on my previous car with outstanding finance, so before going to look at the 182 i did a HPI check to make sure..... it was not clear, it still has outstanding finance on it and was on the security alert register (or whatever its called)

Just becase it says HPI clear and he gives you a piece of paper saying so, doesnt mean you shouldnt check it out yourself.

The guy is also incredibly hard to get hold of and wasnt very willing to give me much info on the car. personally I'd steer well clear.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. HPi check would be the first thing I done before travelling. I'd hope the guy was a bit more willing to give info as I'd have a LOT of questions. I'd want to know the car inside out as I'd be buggered if I'd travel all the way from Aberdeen to see a car I didn't know much about.

The difference between cup and non cup is only 3mm IIRC. Also it does appear to have the spoiler, wheels and original splitter so I would guess the suspension is.

You can check if you view as I think the cup suspension has a little red and white tab on the rear springs visible under the car whereas non cup are just black springs. (Someone correct this if not please)

How common (or uncommon) was it for new owners to spec the splitter and spoiler pack but not suspension. It does appear to sit much higher than all the other 182's with cup suspension that I can find on PH.

Here is a (poor) comparison shot next to a 182 with the cup packs:

Comparison.jpg

Focus ST-3
How common (or uncommon) was it for new owners to spec the splitter and spoiler pack but not suspension. It does appear to sit much higher than all the other 182's with cup suspension that I can find on PH.

Here is a (poor) comparison shot next to a 182 with the cup packs:

I think both options were like £200 to be spec'd from new (for one option or both, cant remember) so if it has one you would have thought the original buyer would have got both??

RB 182
It is amazing how every car he sells has had mature owners. The ad's are all the same so I wouldn't fall for the phrasing.

Its too expensive IMO but no horrendously so. Some people will pay a premium to buy from a dealer as they get a small warranty / finance options etc.

I'd always prefer to buy private as you get a better deal and get to meet the person who's owned it and the dealer warranties arent normally worth the paper they are written on.

PS the pic below shows a non cupped artic blue one and the silver one looks to sit a bit lower to me.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Mine had the spoiler pack but not the suspension pack. Iirc it was only £200, lots of cars were spec-less tho. IMO the wheels look a little too dark, so I would guess that it's not got the suspension but maybe had the wheels sprayed?
Def worth a look as a non cupped car is just as good, just has a slightly higher ride and narrower track. Everything else is the same.

Mine had the spoiler pack but not the suspension pack. Iirc it was only £200, lots of cars were spec-less tho. IMO the wheels look a little too dark, so I would guess that it's not got the suspension but maybe had the wheels sprayed?
Def worth a look as a non cupped car is just as good, just has a slightly higher ride and narrower track. Everything else is the same.

I know what you are saying and I agree but it makes me wonder about the rest of the car as he states in the ad that it has both cup packs. If it doesn't have the suspension then what else is he lying about? He states it is unmodified when clearly the exhaust isn't OEM.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Also i didnt look what section this was posted in, thought it was a funny spotted thread and was waiting for a black 182, limo tints, lexarse lights, chrome wheels, k-tec body kit and grille. etc etc etc

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I know what you are saying and I agree but it makes me wonder about the rest of the car as he states in the ad that it has both cup packs. If it doesn't have the suspension then what else is he lying about? He states it is unmodified when clearly the exhaust isn't OEM.

He's a car salesman! Buyer beware and all that. He might not know that much about the Renaultsport range, not that that makes it any better.
I think the advert is incorrect. I am not sure he is necessarily lying as such. He may be referring to it being mechanically standard. So many car adverts are factually incorrect.
Do the research, take the powerful position and if it doesn't feel right, leave it especially if it involves a long trip.
When I bought mine last June, I had to get the trader to ring the local Renault dealer in front of me to get confirmation that the cambelt had to be changed at 5 years as he refused to accept a cambelt change was needed on a 15,000 mile car. This was a posh trader with a couple of RX-8s, E46 M3s, Range Rovers.
To get a good used car can be hard work.
For instance, when people suggest examples for sale. Unfortunately in many cases the photos were taken when the vehicle was bought by the previous owner! The car you go to see does not resemble that which was in the photos. When getting mine, I did a trip Birmingham to Blackburn return (wasted) and trip Birmingham to Hampshire return (wasted).

2014 Clio 200t edc
In defence for him, he might have been told it had when he got it, plus the grey wheels do 'say' cup pack. I can't see how he can mistake the exhaust tho, as unless it's very quiet will be louder than a normal Clio.

Focus ST-3
The guy knows full well what he is dealing with, he knows whats what, i have seen him selling about 6-7 different 182's - all of them have the same advert and all have the suspect looking dark wheels....

I even remember a silver one he had that was meant to have both cup packs, but had no splitter or spoiler... the car your looking at may be 100% legit - i wouldnt take much notice of the details in the advert though as i guarantee that every 182 he sells will just be a copy and paste of the same ad.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
The guy knows full well what he is dealing with, he knows whats what, i have seen him selling about 6-7 different 182's - all of them have the same advert and all have the suspect looking dark wheels....

I even remember a silver one he had that was meant to have both cup packs, but had no splitter or spoiler... the car your looking at may be 100% legit - i wouldnt take much notice of the details in the advert though as i guarantee that every 182 he sells will just be a copy and paste of the same ad.

Yep, lazy car trader. They just need to shift stuff to make a living. As said in my earlier post, don't rely on them, do your researach. If you don't like the car (or them), look at another.

Focus ST-3
You'll get an equivalent car for less money. Look on autotrader or ebay.

Its not really that over priced... if youlook on ebay there are ones with 80k going for over £4k. all the one of a similar age and mileage are going for £3.5-3.9k

Focus ST-3
well yeh you know what i meant. it is priced as the market is, so in that case they are all over priced..

Be patient and keep a keen eye on the for sale ad's on here. For circa 4k you can get a whole lot of 182. I wish someone had told me that before I got mine in January!