ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does anyone ever think...

Mito Sportiva 135
...that all this talk about cleaning cars is a little sad? I know I do from time to time, getting excited about making the car look good, only for it to get trashed as soon as its taken out in the rain. I know for several of you its your profession/ something you consider a hobby, but sometimes I find myself wondering "Is life too short to spend with a microfibre in my hand for a few hours every sunday morning?"

Anyone else feel the same sometimes?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Re: Does anyoneever think...

i dont think that about other people, but it does pi55 me off when i clean mine and then is hammers it down!!

personally i like seeing cars gleaming clean, and sometimes gives me the motivation needed to clean mine! but i normally just wash and wax, not all of the clay stuff!

Tungy

I'd love to go to the extent of cleaning that some people do. But the cost of buying all the products and the patience involved with rubbing a car for hours on end is something I can't bring myself to handle. Every now and then though I try to make an effort.

Vectra :(

Washed, clayed and waxed mine the other day.

Since then its not been out of the garage as its raining lol

Pi$$es me right off to see all the work go to waste. Thats why it very rarely gets a good wax. Usually just wash and dry

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR

yeh, i had a look at some of the products when there was a thread about it, seemed like a hell of alot of cash to clean my car!

but most of the cars on here are alot nicer than mine, and therefore are worth spending more time on cleaning and looking good, because they attract more attention!

every 2 moths or so i go through a stage where i make it clean enough to eat off, then the heavens open!

RB 182 with CUP packs
I must admit mine gets done & put away in the garage & has only ever been driven in the wet once by me.

I wash mine @ least once a week & wax it every 3 wash. But haven't gone to some of the lengths have tbh. But I do believe it is a skill.

Mito Sportiva 135
I must admit mine gets done & put away in the garage & has only ever been driven in the wet once by me.

I wash mine @ least once a week & wax it every 3 wash. But haven't gone to some of the lengths have tbh. But I do believe it is a skill.

Definitely a skill, always maintain that a mediocre products but good process and elbow grease will beat the best products will poor application. If you can get great products AND technique your onto a winner!

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Usually wash the car once a week. Tried claying - impressive results! Wax every 3 months.
Took my car for service at Renault today. Went to pick it up...they're just giving it a wash, i was told.
10 mins later its parked out front waiting for me.
Looked like they'd chucked a bucket of dirty floor water all over it!!!
Paintwork was rough as feck. P1sses me off when they get any old dope to wash what you've worked bloody hard for. Esp when they've made a dogs c*nt of it!!

B

Brown.

tis good practice to keep the things you own in good nick. it allows you to be clean of mind ;)

Everytime I wash my car in detail I find more scratches/dents/missing trim.

For this very reason I don't wash mine properly that often!

BMW E46 330i Touring
^ Always find a new surprise waiting for me somewhere!

I've always been into cleaning whatever car I've owned two or three times a month, it's become a Sunday afternoon thing I suppose.

ST
Day, your car always looks so mint tho mate ^^

I wash n wax mine in summer sometimes 3 times a week...

In winter once a week without fail..

182 Cup Inferno
i only wash now and again at garage using the power-wash just to get the sea salt off! no point washing where i live cos there is mud everywhere! (and no i dont live in a pig-sty! lol)

Its not my cup of tea but I would like to clean my car eveyone has there own preferences hence this forum and the tunning forums are differetn if you don't like don't look.

My cars washing take place when its serviced (ever year).

R

rich[182]

I agree with you Brand86 - mine gets a car wash once a month if it's lucky.

There are far better things to do with my time.

^ Totally agree too

When I bought my 182 in August I spent ages trawling the detailing threads and several of the sites that sell all the kit, got myself a list of stuff I was going to buy and it was like nearly £200

There'd been 3 consecutive weekends where for various reasons I'd not had time to clean my car and the weather was great monday-wednesday, then on 4th weekend I spent 3hrs giving it a right going over and it pissed it down on monday

That was the day I asked myself what the f**k I was doing and decided that it aint worth it, it's only a car and I've far more important stuff to be doing with my weekends than spending 3-4hrs cleaning it

Also spending 3-4hrs every weekend cleaning it my wife would think I was a selfish sad git as we don't spend that much time together at the mo because of work

So as from now during the winter it's getting a quick wash once a week and a rinse down, not even drying it tbh, every 3-4 weeks some wax it wet and a leather down, properly clean alloys, prob get all kit from halfords, maybe get some good quality matt finish interior trim cleaner though from one of the websites

Chocolate Bar™
i dont go anywhere near the extent of rich or alan or the pcing crew, but when i do clean mine it gets a good going over. i also found that with if you give it the full works fully sealed etc. then each time you wash afterwards you barely need to touch it as the dirt just beads off.

Hyundai coupe
...that all this talk about cleaning cars is a little sad? I know I do from time to time, getting excited about making the car look good, only for it to get trashed as soon as its taken out in the rain. I know for several of you its your profession/ something you consider a hobby, but sometimes I find myself wondering "Is life too short to spend with a microfibre in my hand for a few hours every sunday morning?"

:lolup: listen to this sado not keen on cleaning his car :rasp:

Mito Sportiva 135

:lolup: listen to this sado not keen on cleaning his car :rasp:

Thats the problem mate, I do!! Just played football today and got stressed when my mate got in the car dirty after I had spent ages cleaning it during the week. He didn't see what the problem was, then I thought "why am I getting stressed at my mate over a bit of mud".... is this me being a dick or do you think he should have been more considerate of my car as he knows I take a lot of pride in it?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The thing is, it's a car, not some sentimental unreplaceable diamond ring handed down by your Granny.

Cars are consumables, not investments. They depreciate regardless of what you do to them, and being anally retentive over tar spots, or brake dust is sad IMO too.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
u look after your clothes and any other material possessions, if cleaning it makes u happy then f**k it do it, lifes too short too worry about if its sad or not noone is telling people do do it or not to do it u just do it

BMW E46 330i Touring
I don't get annoyed if someone makes it dirty or it gets splashed, but I still like to keep it clean.

I HATE when people leave rubbish in my car though, coats, empty wrappers / bottles, random CD's stuffed in the door pockets.

ST
i dont go anywhere near the extent of rich or alan or the pcing crew, but when i do clean mine it gets a good going over. i also found that with if you give it the full works fully sealed etc. then each time you wash afterwards you barely need to touch it as the dirt just beads off.

I only wash my car once a year....;)

Monaco Blue 172
i've noticed mine does that. prev owner must have been one of those types, cos i've not gone near it with a buffer yet :eek:

i usually need a motivation of some kind to make me get the shampoo out, eg. going to a CS meet! otherwise i will only wash it when its so filthy that i'm embarrassed to be seen in it. :clown:

106 GTi

I only wash my car once a year....;)

Im with Alan, cant remember the last time I washed my 182.

Mondeo STTDCI
Reasons I wash the 182;

1. When it is shiney it makes me happy and want to keep it.
2. It can actually help sell it if someone nearby has seen you about in it and its always in good nick.
3. Maintains the paint and therefore some value.
4. Spends some boredom time.

I always laugh when people post For Sale pictures that were obviously taking months or years ago when the car had had its only real detail.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Each to their own. I like my car to be clean but most times it aint, i prefer to drive it rather than clean it. :race:

The cars that have been washed/waxed/clayed properly do look amazing.