ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does ESP cut in on the sly(182)

Clio Cup

Does ESP cut in on the sly with no indication via the warning sign on the dash?

I ask because these hot sunny days ive been driving ESP off and the car seems quicker. Or i suppose it could be the psychological effect at play.

its quicker because the ESP controls your throttle so if you have your foot to the floor out of a bend with no traction it removes the pedal out of the equation and so by that logic when you have enough grip in your opinion it may not be the opinion of the esp system. it also controls your breaks to slow you down.

leave it on in the wet. its saved me a few times as the 172/182 is twitchy and jumps over rough surfaces, in the wet thats lethal so only for dry predictable weather and smoother roads imo.

The first thing I always do now is switch it off. Ignition - start - ESP off - seatbelt

Ive found I can feel the car better with it off. Even if its partially psychological.

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 06 May 2005
The first thing I always do now is switch it off. Ignition - start - ESP off - seatbelt

Ive found I can feel the car better with it off. Even if its partially psychological.

Same here. :)

I thought you had to turn it on after ignition, illuminated warning triangle = ESP on?. Have I been driving without ESP? Scary

Yaris Hybrid

I have found it makes no difference aside from sometimes when leaving a roundabout and accelerating whilst turning hard it does cut in when I think there is still more grip.

oops, what a %^^%. So I have been driving with it off for the last year in rain and snow thinking it was on. I have nearly lost it on bends a few times and have felt it right itself is the ESP engaging itself? We are through the looking glass here people.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

Quote: Originally posted by CHRIS172CUP on 06 May 2005
turn it off or get rid of it altogether, waste of time tbh. it loses 10bhp lol.

Is this true? I had a little rag with another mk2 172 last weekend&it looked completely standard but i just couldnt keep up with it. It just kept pulling away from me-could this be possible if the theory correct he may have had it switched off?

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

But i was jus hoping that whatever was under the bonnet would explain it as ive rolling roaded at 182bhp&this was another 172 which was the same year as mine?

Weeman sucks ****

oh right, well you never know what could be there. get the f**ker on a track and see what happens then;) straight lines are for pussies!

Elise/VX220/R26

I would guess that the ESP will limit your throttle as the ESP wil estimate how much grip you have available and limit the throttle level accordingly. Iirc the light flashes when the traction control comes in so the ESP could well be acting without the light flashing. Either way turn it off. IMO it dhould be something you can switch on/off permenantly as its a pain turning it off every time you drive the car as I did with mine.