ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does iPhoto slow your Mac?

Clio 182
Whenever I open iPhoto the Mac gets really really slow and once I've shut it I usually end up having to reboot because everything slows to a crawl - any ideas or just too much in it???

Not noticed anything myself.
It's not the quickest application anyway.. but it doesn't make anything unusable.

i have 7000 pics on mine.... a good thousand of those are uncroped pics off my 350D and it doesnt slow it up. it takes a bit longer for iPhoto to load sometimes..... but otherwise its fine.

i have the first gen ImacG5 too. so 1.8ghz one. Altho i gave it an extra 1 gb of ram when i got it... so its runnin 1.25gb of ram.

What software are people using other than iphoto then? i just find it so user friendly... although it does take a while to get photos off cameras.

106 GTi
Take the images of my 350D with a firewire card reader.

Then browse images using Abobe Bridge which is bundled with Photoshop CS2

Clio 182
i have 7000 pics on mine.... a good thousand of those are uncroped pics off my 350D and it doesnt slow it up. it takes a bit longer for iPhoto to load sometimes..... but otherwise its fine.

i have the first gen ImacG5 too. so 1.8ghz one. Altho i gave it an extra 1 gb of ram when i got it... so its runnin 1.25gb of ram.

What software are people using other than iphoto then? i just find it so user friendly... although it does take a while to get photos off cameras.

Hmm sounds like it runs ok for you, I'm not sure how many photos I have on mine but prob no more than 1000-2000 - I like iphoto but it's just the fact my Mac doesn't and I only use it when I have to because of having to reboot... I also had this problem with photobooth and have had to reboot twice because of that now :S

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Applications/Utilities/System Profiler

Run that when it slows down, see which process is taking up the processor time.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Applications/Utilities/System Profiler

Run that when it slows down, see which process is taking up the processor time.

Ta, will do.

Where do I find applications, I can't see it? :S :eek:

Click on your harddisc! It's in the root, it should also appear on the left hand side of the window that pops up when you open the harddisc.

You need Activity Monitor.. to see processes.

Spotlight (Apple - Spacebar) and type Activity Monitor

Clio 182
Lol I was gonna say I'd found it but couldn't work out what I was supposed to do with it - that is why then ;)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Lol I was gonna say I'd found it but couldn't work out what I was supposed to do with it - that is why then ;)

I always get those two mixed up! At least now you should be able to identify the culprit.....