ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does mileage matter

renault clio 172
Looking to buy a 172/182 does it really matter if i buy 1 with more than 100k maybe even up too 130k over a under 100k one

SQ5
All my higher mileage me have been quicker and felt better that the lower mileage ones engine wise.

Clio sport 182
Looking to buy a 172/182 does it really matter if i buy 1 with more than 100k maybe even up too 130k over a under 100k one

Not so much. Sometimes I find the lower milage cars get more problems. If it has full up to date service history and also belts have been done at the correct intervals I would go for any that feels right for the price.

A little hint. I always find if they have good matching tyres that's a good sign of a car being looked after.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
All my higher mileage me have been quicker and felt better that the lower mileage ones engine wise.

I've read that a lot on this forum, yet my 56k Monaco Ph2 felt far quicker than my 103k Ph1. Both had FSH and belts done

I'm with the above, low mileage is great but higher miles if looked after is also fine.......... my 182 is only on 70k BUT my mate's 172 has 125k and honestly feels just as tight and drives great

Sss107

ClioSport Club Member
  Accord Type R

It's all a gamble! Like everyone else, buy based on the overall condition and service history. HOWEVER - I just bought mine a few weeks ago with full service history, exceptionally clean car but it dropped a valve 2 weeks laters! Only had 84,000. So as I say, it's all a bit of a gamble! If I was doing it again, I'd buy a cheaper high mileage car from the forum.

RB182cup&golf gti
Of course mileage matters. The more miles, the more wear. Doesn't mean low mileage cars are better though. All depends on how they've been treated and whether they've been serviced regularly. So make sure you as mentioned above that you check service history and that the condition of the car reflects the service history.

renault clio 172
I have bought a 03 iceberg silver 172 with a gd history done 84k its having the cambelt kit and pulley changed looks largly unmodified apart from tinted windows so hopefully looked after is in very good condition

Astra H 1.8 SRi
A little hint. I always find if they have good matching tyres that's a good sign of a car being looked after.
This is a very good hint that I've never considered!

Not much to contribute that hasn't been said though. I've always brought cars from a dealer, so I've had a small safety net if something went wrong in the early months of ownership. But with these cars that might be harder to do.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my mate once bought a low miles 182 that had been used by a woman to knock back and forward to work, it was proper mint, like new! drove lovely but when he started driving it properly it started properly falling to bits, it would seem sometimes the ones that are driven hard are run in being used like that and maby stand up better to it!

ive just bought a low miles minter too so hoping its not a repeat of my mates!

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I have bought a 03 iceberg silver 172 with a gd history done 84k its having the cambelt kit and pulley changed looks largly unmodified apart from tinted windows so hopefully looked after is in very good condition
Was the car from Dorset by any chance?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Yes y do u know it
Not really, but saw it advertised and it looked a peach. I rang the chap selling it and he said someone else was keen. I said I'd speak to him later after viewing a couple of cars near to me but he rang back a bit later saying it was sold :confused:. I reckon you done good :smile::cool:.

Anyway, he then tried to sell me a motorhome :wink:.
Congrats on your purchase :up:

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Personally for me mileage isn't an issue and I buy on previous maintenance and condition. However I find selling any car with over 100k on the clocks hard work.

My current daily (2003 BMW) is on 198k and other than regular service it's been fine.

RS 172
that's good mileage on the BMW! i'm up to 135 on mine. Clio has 55k and two belt changes. Drives very well.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I've had two 182's... first one on 45k was a complete shitter! Needed loads spent on it. Next one was 109k and I had it until 126k and it was honestly the best car I ever owned (still miss it)