ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

does octane boost make you faster

was reading the 98 ron fuel discussion, but didnt want to hijack it with this question:

going on a track day in 2 weeks - have already got half bottle of octane boost from before.

will it help power?

cheers

Cup 172

I think if the 172 has a knock sensor to advance/r****d the ignition then there may be a very slight difference, but I doubt youd really notice.

Octane booster or extra RON fuel just means it wont ignite as easily under pressure. I.E. its more resistant to knock. The higher the RON the longer it takes to go throught preflame from whenthe spark goes off so the spark has to be set off earlier in a car which is designed for high RON fuel.

It wont give you any more power (infact it will give you less per liter/per pound in weight). It just allows you to run higer pressure ie turbo/ higher ECR without the fuel self igniting.

I know someone who races moto x bikes and it works really well in those, wether it would work well in a car tho, errrrr i dunno.

Volvo S60 T5

does octane boost make you faster?

I wouldnt drink it, could cause bad side effects and chronic sh*ts! pmsl

Quote: Originally posted by Le_Smithier on 08 November 2004

I know someone who races moto x bikes and it works really well in those, wether it would work well in a car tho, errrrr i dunno.
He will be running high ECR (engine compression ratio) ie the air is squashed more than the air in a 172 engine so they need the ability to resist the fuel air mix exploding.