ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does running out of fuel damage your car?

Nothing at the mo :(
Only reason im asking is i have been using vpower for 1 year now.. and im swapping to bp ultimate cause its cheaper and easier to get to now

So was thinking of getting a 5litre can of Bp ultimate in my boot.. waiting for the car to run out of petrol and then put in the 5litres.. cause i wanna get out as much of vpower as possible..

Just wondering if it does any damages??? i know ive seen a few people post on here say they carry 5litres in there boot spare lol

Clio 1970000000
I doubt you will even notice the difference between the 2 fuels. Why take the risk. Wait until the fuel light comes on and fill up with the new stuff.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Why on earth would you do that? why not just fill up.

I mix Vpower, ultimate and exelium all the time.

I must be something here, you want to completly drain the tank as your switching to a different fuel, is that right?

Clio 1970000000
Depending on how much silt is in the bottom of your tank, running it dry will draw the crap into your engine. I wouldn't do it.

PH1 172
I filled up with BP ultimate over the weekend as I couldn't get to a shell gargae soon enough and it was £1.29 a litre!! I am pretty sure V-Power is less than that.....either way in answer to your ? I would just fill up with BP Ultimate if that's what's easiest for you as there is no difference waiting till empty or sticking it in at 1/2 tank :)

53 Clio's & counting
It wont make a blind bit of difference filling up with another fuel mate, think of it this way:

You are using fuel X, but want to use fuel Y, you start using fuel Y right away, and it will mix with the remainder of fuel X untill a tank or so later, when all of fuel X has gone and your now onto 100% fuel Y.

So crack on and dont worry ;)

182 cup
its a clio! not a formula one car! bp / vp power/ excelium makes no differance at all perforamce wise... its all in your head

just get the cheapest!

utter b****cks. The pump draws off the bottom of the tank the whole time, and it's filtered anyway

True. The bottom of the tank thing is a myth.

Also, it won't run dry. I have run out in mine before and had it restarting and spluttering until finally giving up as though utterly bone dry. I mate came to the rescue and we popped in 5 litres. It started on the first turn of the key. Instantly fired up, so there was no way the fuel system was totally dry. My guess is the level reaches utter rock bottom and the system cuts off the supply to prevent the engine breathing in the last dregs.

Oh and what a silly idea anyway :D

Clio oasis
Aint it a bad idea to carry a can of fuel n car anyway? The tiny tny gains you get with v power will go to waste carrying extra weight around .)

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Why would you need a can of fuel in the car, can you not read the fuel gauge and plan a pit stop?

Clio 182 arctic
Depending on how much silt is in the bottom of your tank, running it dry will draw the crap into your engine. I wouldn't do it.

the only crap you're gonna get is whats on the end of the fuel pump at the filling station, so not much if anything.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
As said wont do any damage, thats what the filter is for! Also pointless.. ask fred. He used the run all the lambo's/ferrari's/ect on bog standard 95ron

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Jesus H Christ! CS iQ just took another heavy hit.